It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty Crash Today at Daytona Speedway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
NASCAR is trying to block this video on Youtube - feel sorry for the fans who were injured. Look how close the tire landed to the person taking the video.

edit on 23-2-2013 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Rather disturbing how they all start cheering when they see the accident happen up the track.

I guess that proves that people only go to these events to see an accident.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Rather disturbing how they all start cheering when they see the accident happen up the track.

wait until talladega.

edit on 23-2-2013 by bjax9er because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

I believe I can find better things to do with my time than watch cars drive around in a circle.

No offense to any Nascar fans of course.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Wow. That can't be good. I hope those people are okay.

That scene reminds me of a time I was watching a race at Watkins Glen, and I was standing by turn 11 (indicated by the red dot). The fence there is about 4 feet high, with the tire/crash barrier right in front of it. I had my arms crossed on the fence, upper body and head fully exposed to the track.

As a couple cars made the turn, they got tangled, and one of the wheels came off, bounced on the track, and went flying into the woods behind me about 3 feet over my head, at probably 60 mph or so. I don't think I had any reaction time to get out of the way so I was lucky it didn't take me out. One of the cars hit the tire wall right in front of me. I could have had a conversation with the driver when he climbed out - in a normal speaking voice he was that close.

Made me wonder how much they thought about safety when something like that can happen.

edit on 23-2-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Motor sport is always inherently dangerous and I really feel for those injured. Thankfully those stands are raised with fencing, but obviously there is still a way to go before the element of danger is erased.

Luckily safety has improved though no-end, back in the 1955 LeMans a crash killed 82 spectators. 82 spectators (And the driver make 83)... In one crash. There is a whole documentary on it, and I thought about embedding it here, but it is very graphic to watch. I'm sure you can all find it on youtube.

Hitting the Healey, the Mercedes took off like a rocket, struck the embankment beside the track, hurtled end over end and then disintegrated over the crowd. The hood decapitated tightly jammed spectators like a guillotine. The engine and front axle cut a swath like an artillery barrage. And the car's magnesium body burst into flames like a torch, burning others to death. In a few searing seconds 82 people were dead and 76 were maimed. Hawthorn, though unnerved, went on to win and set a new record. But few spectators had the enthusiasm to cheer.

Source

Wow, compassion Mr Hawthorn - show must go on eh?
edit on 23-2-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Reports are 28 people injured - 2 critical but stable 1 of them is a minor.

apnews.myway.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Well they were just crossing the finish line when it happened so, yah they were cheering. Until debris came through the fence.

Tomorrow they will host the Daytona 500 on that same track. Its like the Super Bowl of stock car racing.

And a girl is starting from the pole position for the first time ever!

Bet you tune in now...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Thats bull # NASCAR is a sport. You could say the same about football right?

Its all ways in the back of peoples minds, its rare when it happens and when it dose people get excited. Not because they want the drivers to get hurt. These cars are practically bullet proof when it comes to wrecks. You would think cars flying around a track at 200mph would result in more deaths but the last death in NASCAR was dale earnhardt.

Remember when dale earnhardt died? Allot of people wear devastated, they do not want death. Only a sport witch has risk.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
80 people checked out 1955 24hr le mans
Mercedes doesn't participate anymore
do to this accident

Spectators are to close

Wiki 1955 Le Mans disaster

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Yeesh that is crazy - there are people standing on the track.

747's get lift between 175 to 185 mph so these cars have no problem getting airborne at 190 mph. This wreck reminds of Geoff Bodine's wreck at Daytona in the 2000 truck race - very similiar going up into the catch fence.
Surprisingly - he had no serious injuries from the crash.

edit on 23-2-2013 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

The spectators protection?

Hay bales.

The shredded car and exploding fireball magnesium chassis caused utter mayhem. That bonnet (hood) sliced through the crowd, decapitating them like a guillotine. Absolutely shocking.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Wow. That can't be good. I hope those people are okay.

That scene reminds me of a time I was watching a race at Watkins Glen, and I was standing by turn 11 (indicated by the red dot). The fence there is about 4 feet high, with the tire/crash barrier right in front of it. I had my arms crossed on the fence, upper body and head fully exposed to the track.

As a couple cars made the turn, they got tangled, and one of the wheels came off, bounced on the track, and went flying into the woods behind me about 3 feet over my head, at probably 60 mph or so. I don't think I had any reaction time to get out of the way so I was lucky it didn't take me out. One of the cars hit the tire wall right in front of me. I could have had a conversation with the driver when he climbed out - in a normal speaking voice he was that close.

Made me wonder how much they thought about safety when something like that can happen.

I was at the 2012 Pennsylvania 400 at Pocono raceway which isn't far from my house. My girlfriend and father were with me, and I got us row 13 seats between the start/finish and end of pit road. My driver has been Gordon since I was a kid and he was a rookie. Him and teammate Johnson had pits right in front of us out of pure luck. I couldn't help but keep thinking look left when the cars are coming down the track because that fence looks very small and almost laughable when you see how many cars going so fast you can barely see what colors the cars are. I was waiting for one to lift up and just fly into us, but that's the excitement. At Dover for my first race ever, back when Senior was still racing hard, we were like 10 rows up, and I would get bits of tire in my eyes so I had to where sunglasses, and I was covered in rubber powder when the race was over.

You know it can happen, but it is such a rush that you risk your life to spectating it. I hope all these victims pull through! I hate to see this happen. By the way the Pocono race I attended, was the one the lightning strike killed a man leaving the race when they called it off. It started with a t-storm that delayed the race, and we were sitting waiting for the beginning when it hit, we ran down the stairs from the grandstand, and were hiding under it, in which they were open so all the water was running off onto us. They said there would be hail so we decided it was better to be sheltered from that. Lightning was striking all around and by this time we were 20min into it and the water was up over our toes. Everyone is joking around that we are going to die. It passes and we dry off and the race starts. It ended after a crash past half-way when another thunderstorm struck. This time we ran right to shelter in a storage closet built onto the side of the restrooms. We ushered people in, mostly children with their guardians, or women, and just at one point anyone who was still stuck in the storm. 20 of us were packed in this room. Different circumstances, but still.

My thoughts go out to the victims and the loved ones of them, along witha ll drivers who have raced this weekend, and are racing in the Daytona 500 today. Please let these Gen 6 cars be safe!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

The spectators protection?

Hay bales.

The shredded car and exploding fireball magnesium chassis caused utter mayhem. That bonnet (hood) sliced through the crowd, decapitating them like a guillotine. Absolutely shocking.

It was the wheel assembly including the wheel and tire, the rest of the front end including engine transmission and the other wheel assembly along with the ballast landed just on the other side of the fence. people were sprayed by coolant and motor oil along with hundred of pieces of debris. Imagine a lug nut hitting you in the face at 200mph, let alone that huge chunk of car!? The dude taking the video didn't even realize that object at 150mph came within 10ft of him until the other people around him started yelling and looking.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

I know my friend! All I can say is by god, it was a completely different world back then. We now have occupational health and safety though now. Sure they have saved lives no doubt, but on the other side of the fence (as it were..) has it ruined the true spirit of motor-sport? Was the excitement that ragged edge of danger - and then some, a deep seated need wanted by both driver and spectator alike? We talk about the glory days of motoring. It was honest men in sheds. Now its clinical tracks and computers... And it's pretty boring. So the youth get out there and "jackass" their own excitement and danger for the evening. Drinking contests, followed by anally launched missiles to the lolling of their 'friends'...

What is the answer?
1. The tracks have to be made safe for the audience, kids need a hero these days other than some swill drinking model whose lips do more than lip-syncing to get them were they are....So, the family needs to take them somewhere safe.
2. The cars need to have a fully closed in roll-cage, it saves the driver. Other than that though teams should be given 2 v8's. Naturally aspirated. Let the car drivers/builder stroke them, cam work, crank, bearings etc. Carbies, no fuel-injection. Because, the car should not have any computer helping the driver in any way. The only computer board in the car should be for team communication and video cameras.
3. No single team sponsorship, instead sponsors sponsor the entire racing series, monies divided equally with teams given a challenging salary cap. I want to see a number on the car. One number. Thats it. I don't want to have my eyeballs raped by some energy drink and a chain department store. Let's have a look at the car's shape and lines for gods sake!

Ok.... This has turned all ranty. Hopefully you all get me!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The world of auto racing has been and will always be a dangerous sport. You can make all of the safety modifications in the world. No matter how many safety innovations you make for the fans and the drivers. It will still be a dangerous sport and I think that is why a lot of us go to these races. We love seeing the danger and excitement of auto racing. We love seeing our favorite driver or drivers bring home the winner's trophy. It's something that almost every fan has grown accustomed to seeing.

Larson's crash yesterday was not the first accident where a car or a truck have got up into the catch fencing at Daytona. Geoff Bodine had a horrific wreck in the tri-oval in which the truck he was racing in became airborne and slammed into the catch fence. A lot of people had thought that they had seen the end of a career when Geoff had his wreck. There were people hurt by flying debris that got up into the stands during this crash as well. You can hear it in Marty Reid's voice that it was a very horrific wreck.

Accidents like this where fans are injured are not that common in the world of auto racing or in NASCAR for that matter. These protective catch fences are designed to keep a vehicle on the track. Whether it be a car or a truck, those fences are there to keep these things from going up into the grandstands. There are two other cases besides Larson's or Bodine's that have kept people from being killed in the grandstands that I can remember.

Neil Bonnett's tumble at Talladega Superspeedway from back in 1993. This race I was watching live on CBS.

The wreck that started it all......

new topics

top topics

join