It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College degree needed to get even low paying jobs today.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

Well this wasn't from my camera, but how about something like this?

vimeo.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cleverhans

I get where you're saying about the jobs you listed, but as a promising filmmaker, I take the theater degree to heart. Just because you have a degree in theater doesn't mean you're a failure. You could try to use it to be an acting/theater coach, pen a play or whatever.

As much as America needs factory workers and business people, I believe we need some fresh ideas in the entertainment industry as well. I'm tired of hearing the same jokes repeated over and over again, and plot lines refiltered.

Look at the popular TV shows today. Although there are great shows like Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, we also have to put up with braindead shows like Glee, American Idol and whatever new show about hillbillies or pawn stores is on.

I'me also pretty disappointed that I go watch a channel like History or Discovery, only to get sucked into some reality TV like American Restoration or Whale Wars.

What happened to all the awesome shows like Discovery Wild, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and National Geographic Wild? I used to learn such valuable stuff from television.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
reply to post by cleverhans

What happened to all the awesome shows like ..., Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, ...

OK, now you just dated yourself

Merlin Perkins quote...
"While I am setting up camp and preparing dinner, Jim is out wresting the alligator"

Loved that show.

edit on 21-2-2013 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

I guess I did.

Fun fact: -because of my exposure to nature documentaries from a young age, I can guarantee you that I can (with a bit of luck and training) take down an adult deer doe by using the tripping/snap the spine method that large cats and other predators use. Quite useful if you want to put an edge to a Bear Grylls type survival.
-----------------------------------------------

Back on topic, some posters are lauding apprenticeships, how hard is it to be an apprentice to a cinematographer, if any film industry buffs can help me out?

And is it possible to be an apprentice. I know most of the basic shots and how to operate a state-of-the-art camera.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 3SOT3RIC0

"Going to college and getting good grades is harder than manual labor i've done both at the same time with some success if i were an employer i would always do my homework and hire those with a good track record. But i guess being a good cog in the machine is valued more than good thinking skills today"

The problem with this thought process is that many college grads come without decent critical thinking skills. As I've said before, I've lost count of the fresh hires who have to run to their computer to google an answer that they could also get by doing a little work. It is a fallacy that just because you managed to obtain a degree you somehow are a good problem solver. I have witnessed just the opposite. This hangup we have with going to college to get a degree in something that, in the end, is worth next to nothing is going to be our end. What happened to wanting to learn how to build something, or repair things. Now every kid on the block wants to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer of some kind.
Now, I'm not knocking doctors or lawyers, We need the former and we are stuck with the latter but I will take one solid industry trained, non-degreed machinist over 10 highly educated engineers any day of the week. In my experience engineers haven't a clue how to make a thing function properly in the real world.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
reply to post by 3SOT3RIC0

In my experience engineers haven't a clue how to make a thing function properly in the real world.

That is why god created the Millwrights ...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda

It isnt the goverments fault everyone wants to go to College. A College degree is required because so many applicants have one, not because those putting out a job demand it.

It is not the fact that "everyone wants to go to College". It IS the fact that the schools and the MSM push the opinion that if you don't go to College you are a useless POS who will end up scrubbing toilets or on welfare for the rest of your life if you do not get a College education. Who exactly do you think controls the MSM and who controls the money that each state receives to fund their schools? Why do you think kids that barely passed by the skin of their teeth in high school are being pressured into going to College, and made to feel worthless if they don't?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I understand your 19-year old trauma if you felt it was unfair, and I kind of picked on you because you were the most recent one to gnaw at that bone, not because you were the worst one. So, apologies there. For the record... (psych major after all), sometimes it is better to let go of the adolescent but-that-isn't-fair because it can lead to false stereotyping of others and a false sense of entitlement in an adult... among other things.

I do see a lot of people try to sluff the blame for degree inflation onto people who get a four year degree in a "soft" science, and I don't think THAT is fair. These attacks are generally justified with the inevitable disparaging remarks about work ethic and intelligence for anyone who pursues those degrees, which is a gross generalization, and usually not true. It is just people mindlessly venting frustration and scapegoating. It's also a growing cultural tendency, and I'm getting fed up with it.

I personally think that a psych degree (even a graduate level psych degree) is a joke in terms of practical application in the mental health field. There is a great deal of hand waving going on. No doubt. And the way the field is run as a money making scheme... Oi... Don't get me started. But in order to do what I want, I need those pieces of paper.

I will say that I was previously pre-vet med., and I would in all fairness hedge things toward more difficult when I was loaded in math and science; but mostly because (as I mentioned) I am really terrible at math. It depends on the program I guess. But, I still have to think with this psychology major,and there is a lot of research... But I digress. The hours that I put in are comparable, but even I will admit I am not nearly as frustrated and stressed out.

Math and science is more marketable, particularly for a bachelors. Realistically you (probably) aren't going to get very far with a four year degree in anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc... Your career can begin once you get your Masters. So if you are going that way, you are in it for the long haul. There are some exceptions but they can be hard to find. Most people that I know with this major are well aware of that. It is a marathon, not a sprint, and perhaps that is why so many of these programs are less... intensive.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
On the other hand, having a degree is not a guarantee of a job either. Years ago, an acquaintance who had played in a band said one of his band members got a degree in law but could not get work. I myself got a degree in IT in my later years, and because corporations will only hire people with 5 years experience, I started looking at retail, and a manager at Chico's looked at my resume and noticed it was IT and she said they wanted people who loved selling clothing. Never mind that I already had some years working in retail. It wasn't enough for her. Never mind my Minor was Business Mgmt. She said all the positions had been filled. This was right during the height of the recession in 08. I applied at Disney also at that time during which time the recruiter looked at my resume and said, "I am not sure you really want this job". That was something she just made up on the spot, never mind I would have again taken the retail job just to be working. It is truly sad when a degree rubs you out of a 7 dollar an hour job, but you can still be underqualified for a job in your chosen field.
Later on I applied again and ended up as a forklift operator. I probably ought not to go into detail with my experience with Union members there. And that's even in a right to work state.

This is a sorry state of affairs in our country when all the jobs are going overseas to people who barely speak English.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

push the opinion that if you don't go to College you are a useless POS who will end up scrubbing toilets or on welfare for the rest of your life if you do not get a College education

I am convinced that even in the more conservative minded schools, an agenda of fitting in society as a cog is being implemented, as everything is Power Point Presentations and group work. Everything is going out and selling yourself as someone who is trained exactly to be a certain way. It is hard for me to articulate it, but college is now for preparing you to fit in society, as an extension to the Dewey version in high school of fitting in as a cog in the State.
The fact that someone can pidgeonhole you for specific jobs and disqualify you for something in a different field says something, when all that is needed is to stand around and ask, "May I help you find something?"

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
OH NO .....Employers wanting more educated people....OH NO!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

I think a large part of the problem is that employers are realizing just how many people have degrees without understanding the material, and as such don't consider the degree as being worth anything and that's why degrees don't get you good jobs anymore.

Corporations are increasingly relying on Internet based questionnaires and background checks to decide who gets an interview. If you answer a question other than how that employer wants, you don't get the job. Loews asks questions like what would you do if your co worker wants to go to lunch at a different time and it interferes with your lunch time. Really? Much of this is just social engineering corporate bs. And oh please, enough with the surveys as a replacement for real customer service.

And why are employers looking at credit history to determine if you are capable of doing the job? With all the focus on privacy of health records and fines for breach of medical info, why are we allowing employers to look at whether you have a credit card with a high credit limit to determine your eligibility for jobs?
Looking for a job? Your college will help you look on the Internet by telling you how to post your resume on Careerbuilder.com or Monster.com. Do employers hire from there, I guess so but I never got one call from it, except scammers trolling for people to do scammy things.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I am convinced that even in the more conservative minded schools, an agenda of fitting in society as a cog is being implemented, as everything is Power Point Presentations and group work. Everything is going out and selling yourself as someone who is trained exactly to be a certain way. It is hard for me to articulate it, but college is now for preparing you to fit in society, as an extension to the Dewey version in high school of fitting in as a cog in the State.
The fact that someone can pidgeonhole you for specific jobs and disqualify you for something in a different field says something, when all that is needed is to stand around and ask, "May I help you find something?"

That's what Asian and Indian universities strongly push, they don't teach critical thinking at all, only how to memorize and repeat information. We're moving to the same model except we adhere to the idea that everyone should pass. Some people quite simply shouldn't be in college, I see it every single day I work. People that are within a semester of graduating are unable to perform basic aspects of their job without the assistance of Google. Today I reviewed the test of a programming major who is about to graduate, he failed a multiple choice test that asked him to define what if, for, and while loops are and he was unable to write a basic table in HTML (he has had 4 classes on HTML) however he gets to pass because the school wants to keep him as a student and collect state/federal funding.

What's happening in education is exactly what happened in the financial market. Everyone is corrupt and playing the cash grab game with the assumption that everyone else is doing their jobs which keeps their individual cash grabs and corruption from bringing the system down. The book publishers prevent reusing books, the teachers repeat a series of facts in a book rather than teaching the thinking processes to arrive at the books conclusions, the teachers pass everyone to keep their numbers up, the administration approves of passing everyone to bring in federal funds, the school lets anyone in that's willing to pay, and the loan writers reduce the quality of the loan terms in order to squeeze more money from each individual.

There's a reason I use one of my degrees as a coaster. It's not even worth the paper it's printed on, it can't find me a better paying job and just having it disqualifies me for lower paying jobs. If I had a higher degree such as a masters it would maybe get me an entry level position as an office worker. The education system is so messed up that I can even point to people that have graduated high school and are unable to read, so the corruption doesn't exist purely in the college area. Our entire education system needs a massive restructuring because it is deeply and critically flawed.

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

The fun part about checking credit worthiness for jobs is that most college graduates have rather poor credit due to their student loans. On top of that corporations quite simply don't want talented individuals. They're operating under the mindset that the better someone is, the more likely they are to use the company for experience and go elsewhere. Just about every employer in the US doesn't want the geniuses or the highly talented people. They want someone who just barely meets their requirements and will never improve. That way that person needs that job and will take reductions in pay/benefit quality to keep it. It also means, because that person needs the job so badly they won't get an opportunity to go elsewhere, so the company doesn't have to rehire. It's the same logic as why there's an IQ test to be a cop and you fail if you do too well.

The social policy stuff is designed to try and only find team players. Any halfway intelligent person can figure out what response the company is looking for though and lie on the questionaire.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Obama is a big time big govt Progressive, and as such caters to Progressive ideals such as paying govt employees bigger salaries than those in the private sector, and growing govt in general. Businesses are afraid to hire because of economic uncertainty and excessive bureaucratic regulations created by big govt Progressives. Yes, much of what is going on is aggravated by Obama and his Progressive cronies and the focus on Unions. Just last night I talked with a former city commissioner who said that the city implemented legislation literally outlawing using private companies to haul trash, the reason being to pay city employees who work for the city monopoly. As a result, everyone's utility bills have risen to pay for the extra cost for city Union employee's pensions and higher salaries. If you are a business in the private sector you can literally go to jail for going to a private trash hauler. The majority of city commissioners are liberal and the only way to change this is to get a conservative majority or to bring suit against the city.
This is a true story.

Still, the individual said this decision was made 12 years ago when Progressives took over the city. It is still Progressivism in it's roots whether from Obama or not.

edit on 22-2-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Any halfway intelligent person can figure out what response the company is looking for though and lie on the questionaire.

Who would have thought that employers would weed out people who tell the truth in questionnaires and take the bsers?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable
OH NO .....Employers wanting more educated people....OH NO!

Please! You don't need a college degree to stand around and help people find their size, and run a cash register. Oh wait, due to the fact that high schoolers are being taught how not to bully people instead of math....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by guanyu

I know it will start a flame war, but I blame the baby boomers, I mean yes, it is fundamentally a scam from the banks to maintain wage slavery, but they should've been vigilant.

Yes, I'll be the first to flame you, as being on the tail end of the baby boom. Blaming the earlier generation for all the problems is not a viable answer. It is just like our POTUS and all of his enablers blaming Bush for what is happening in his second term of office.
Much of what is happening is due to social engineering from the Dewey system, as Dewey was a humanist and signed the Humanist Manifesto, as well as a Statist who believed that people exisit for the State and not the other way around. He believed the purpose of education was to get children to fit into society. This is all engineering by the Elites to get people to become their slaves instead of developing their personal potential. Progressivism is the blame for most of what is happening, as well as the push for globalization and a deliberate attempt to dumb down all generations.
Jay Carney is an example of why not to blame everything on baby boomers, as plenty of young people are signing on to this bs Progressive agenda. But you won't have any argument from me if you want to blame an aging Progressive Bill Ayers, who after being involved with domestic terrorism, got off on a technicality and went on to get a job as a professor in the University teaching his Marxist bs to younger people who don't know any different and think that corporations are the problem and go on to become the Occupy movement with the net result of finding ways to get others to sponsor them and pay off their student loans.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
That sounds a lot like Plato' Republic. I believe that is where the term Republican is likely ultimately derived; where as Democrats trace themselves back through the atomist Democrates. In the republic Plato says that there are three classes of citizens with some movement between them but not much. People attend an academy until there late 50's and have marriage determined by a seemingly random but ultimately rigged genetic lottery controlled by the state. He was essentially advocating a less violent, or at least less noticeable form of eugenics. The military is structures like his other favorite society; Atlantis. Mercenaries are employed so that citizens of the Republic do not have to fight and every loss can be that of another nation. In addition all poets were banned and reading would not be taught until a child was at least 7.

It could also be corporate crypto eugenics designed to slowly kill the poor through poverty and lack of healthcare access. It would be far less noticeable than gas chambers; Stalin killed thousands of polish people just by not giving them what they needed to survive; like food.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

The boomers are the blame, and should go down in history as the worst generation ever.

News flash, Obama's presidency is going quite well, in spite of repub efforts to make Obama fail at all costs.

We blame GW for the enormous failures of his presidency.

All your progressive blame making is just more propaganda smoke and mirrors nonsense.

The unrealIstic push for college degrees comes straight from the corporations.

It is a way to introduce a class system. It is written straight out of the conservative agenda.

In this new system, anyone who dares to oppose the system is excluded from the job market.

The bigger purpose is the complete control of the individual, by regulating every aspect of our lives.

While the corporation has been deregulated, allowed to commit whatever crimes they choose, the individual has been regulated to the point where a safety violation, or a simple accounting mistake is treated as a crime, and used as an excuse to take away property without a trial, to remove our liberties and exclude us from engaging in the market.

We are being taken over by these institutions.

edit on 24-2-2013 by poet1b because: Typo

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DiogenestheWanker

I would say the actions of the ruling ICBs these days are very Stalinesque.

We have freed the corporations to impose a very brutal form of rule.

Conform, or we will banish you from the system, and deem you a criminal.

Dare to speak up, and you will be punished.

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join