It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College degree needed to get even low paying jobs today.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Who wants a smartassed burger flipper at McDonalds.

Well Ican testify that that hasnt been a problem yet. Not that I have seen.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Do you know that the average cost of a semester in high quality state university in Europe is from 50-2000 euros, and 2000 euros is stretching it.The average cost is around 400 euros, private universities usually don't have a good reputation.I am always appalled at the cost of the higher education in the US.Don't they have realized by now that people simply don't make that much money after graduating ?Why is this allowed to go on?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
College is so much fun. People saying not to go are just jealous they couldn't go.
Stay in college as long as you can. Just make sure the college you go to has a good reputation, and isn't overpriced.

Ah Ghost, you never fail...
Stay in college as long as you can? To do what? Receive free-monies and not live your life? I mean, college was a blast but I wanted out of there as soon as possible as the years went by. To just stay would mean you are afraid of the real world.

Complaining about student loan debt is a white person's problem. It's not a real problem. It's funny how some people who aren't college grads are using it as a reason to not go to college.

This is an interesting statement. So are you saying that only "white people" care that they have debt and the responsibility to repay such debt? Are you implying that all others just think that debt doesn't matter and someone, somewhere down the line will take care of it...say....a president? Just curious on this line of thinking you are presenting.

Now even low paying jobs need a degree! How are people trying to say a degree isn't needed?

Go to college, there's no discussion. /thread

The thread isn't over regardless of your hubris. No one is saying these jobs need a degree, but some employers, during an employers market (do you know what that means; you are college educated after all) have too much supply and not enough demand so they can pick and choose who they will hire. For the time being, some of those employers are using a degree as the basis of that hiring criteria, regardless of the job.

But I can see where you are coming from....stay in college where you don't have to face the realities of the world.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
More school equals debt? Got it.

More school equals a job? Says who?

When did this happen?? Why would anyone think that going to school for a longer amount of time would lead to a job? A search for a job leads to a job. School leads to a dipolma or degree. If you want a job, get a job. People do work, there are places to get a job.

School should only be used as a quest for knowledge, not for getting a job.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

It Is all about the slavery...
Getting people stuck in the bank system. People in debt do not really control their own life, they are owned,

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Going to college and getting good grades is harder than manual labor i've done both at the same time with some success if i were an employer i would always do my homework and hire those with a good track record. But i guess being a good cog in the machine is valued more than good thinking skills today

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
Bachelor of Science....we've got "SHOVEL READY" jobs galor in the United States of America. Masters degree...Doctor of Philosophy... "PICK AND SHOVEL READY" jobs for you bitches AND mountains of DEBT that you can never walk away from.... Wage slavery 2.0 has just arrived...step right up and get the latest ap for your Iphone.

My husband has a fancy bachelor's degree and works at the local grocery store. All of those years he spent busting his behind to get that degree and he has struggled for a year after getting out of college to find a job. He was on the dean's list every semester and held a 4.0 gpa every single year. Thanks Obama!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

It Is all about the slavery...
Getting people stuck in the bank system. People in debt do not really control their own life, they are owned,

Yep, and just wait until it's time for the student loans payments to kick in, and Obamacare's punitive fines that will be stolen out of people's income taxes when they can't buy into and maintain an insurance plan.

The future just looks amazing. We went over that "fiscal cliff" ages ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Getting a post high school education does not necessitate large debt. I got out of tech last August and am expecting to have my loans paid off by the end of the year.

In a way, requiring an education is a good thing. An education is one of the best things that ever happened to me. My quality of life has improved significantly and not just in areas related to financial relief. So a push for higher education, to me, just means that more people will find similar satisfaction that I have found.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

The thing about trade is that, it would start you off high(55k), you can slightly improve(65-80k) but you will reach a cap(120k). Unlike Degrees, which starts you off in the middle(50k) you can keep climbing, and it will go for very high level..could reach 200k+ in 5-10yrs.

And the biggest off all, degree jobs are usually easy job... desk job or very minute physical job, unlike trades, which are very high demanding of a healthy body.

Another reason why i like degree is that, you learn things, i know i know, everyone is actually after the final paper of authentication, but i enjoyed my microbiology classes.

Just a thought on trades, there is no "cap" you are paid based on what you can do. at 170k a year I can't complain. so really when you look at it, it takes 3-4 years to get the training, the training is mostly free, and with government incentives I actually made money going to school. You also can apply for unemployment insurance while going to school for the 8 weeks a year on average.

or you can go in massive debt, hope you get a good job, hope you get raises and bumped up to that 200k mark. pipe dreams for a lot of workers I think.

Being a boilermaker is a high demanding job, I wont lie, but I love it. I get to build some cool stuff, repair huge machines, work with my hands. I almost went to school for engineering then stepped back and went, why? I am welding currently and progressing rather well. lets see where this takes me.

6 years in, 25 years old, no regrets.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I don't know about you, but there's no way in hell I have spent nearly 4 years in college to be paid 10 bucks an hour. Hopefully, they go out of business, 10 dollars a hour for a 60,000 dollar education. Naw.
edit on 21-2-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
I don't know about you, but there's no way in hell I have spent nearly 4 years in college to be paid 10 bucks an hour. Hopefully, they go out of business, 10 dollars a hour for a 60,000 dollar education. Naw.
edit on 21-2-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

They won't go out of business though as it is a employers market. They will however have a high turn-over of employees.

Chances are that those who do stay with the company will move up the ladder. The old mail clerk to CEO story.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
You do NOT need a degree to make damn good money. My son started as a floorhand on an oil rig when he was 18. He's now 24 and has moved up, but his base pay was close to this:

www.simplyhired.com...

Compare floorhand Salaries Average Floorhand Salaries The average salary for floorhand jobs is $140,000. Average floorhand salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits. This salary was calculated using the average salary for all jobs with the term "floorhand" anywhere in the job listing.

If you're not afraid of hard work, there's money to be made. And there is the problem. Seems everybody wants to sit in an office with their name on the door, pretty assistant by their side and rake in the dough. Some of the most honest, friendly, generous people I have ever met was when I was working the hardest jobs. I'll take the miners, welders and construction workers over a suit any day.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
As a college student myself, I could've told you that we knew this fact years ago before now. If we're going for specialized fields nowadays even, it's masters or better or no job inside of the field of study. Some could say it's a major scam, some could say it's deemed worth of time, or some could be like me and just have no real opinion quite yet. All I know is I'm under a mountain of debt and it's going to be quite an adventure getting out.

It's kind of difficult to come into the undergraduate program years ago full of hope at a new future and then those hopes being batted down as bachelor's degrees are being basically slapped out of the way for anything higher up and being flung around for "common" jobs. It kind of feels like I should've just saved my money and around 3 years of my life.

I have been in the business world for a very long time. I can assure you it is a scam. There is no need to have a masters degree for 90% of the jobs demanding them. There really isn't a need to have a bachelors degree either. The manufacturing industry is terrible for this. No longer does 10 or 20 years of experience get you a job. Employers are demanding the experience coupled with a degree. And truthfully, they couldn't care less what the degree is in. They use the excuse that "it shows initiative and the ability to be disciplined". That is an actual quote from a former employer. They wouldn't allow me to hire a VERY skilled, highly experienced person because he didn't have a piece of paper.
And the reality is this, the people that are coming out of the universities are worth FAR less than someone who has experience. I ahve lost count of all of the times I have had to rescue or clean up after a degree holder. For whatever reason they aren't being taught how to actually perform a function. They are being taught concepts which, in the real world, mean precisely squat.
edit on 21-2-2013 by Hawkmoon1972 because: grammar and clarity

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkmoon1972

Upon my first interview after getting out of the service, the HR looked at me and said, "I see you have a lot of school, but no degree." (I was applying for a warehouse position)

Out of curiousity, I asked why that is relevent to job that I was applying for. Her response was that if I had a degree, it showed that I displayed commitment.

I looked her in the eye and replied, "I guess my 18 years in the service (both Active and Reserves) with two to go until retirement isn't a commitment either? (I ended up doing 31)

Oddly enough, I was hired.

I was also laid off seven days before I was fully vested, which I later found out that this company had a reputation for. (I wonder if there is a lawsuit there?
)

It all worked out though as I retired at the ripe old age of 48.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I still say it's about finding someone who can really read and write.
A HS diploma doesn't mean you can do both.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
I still say it's about finding someone who can really read and write.
A HS diploma doesn't mean you can do both.

I've seen some college grads that couldn’t either. Not coherently anyways.

There is book smart and then there is just smart (ie: common sense).

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

A college degree doesn't necessarily ensure that you can read and write either.. I have worked with fresh grads who could barely add two numbers together to solve a problem without whipping out a calculator or having to run back to their desk to "check a reference". Translated that means, to Google the answer.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Common sense comes from experience. The ability to think before you act. To think about the results of your actions before you take action. You will not get that in college. Our politicians generally have no common sense because they don't have that experience. George Washington had a trade skill. Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln had a trade skill. They had extraordinary common sense. A trade skill should not be looked down upon, it is essential to success in every endeavor. Kids should go straight from high school to trade school. Then after they get a trade skill they can go to college if they choose. They will at the very least have options for employment and obtain valuable experience that equates to common sense.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
We laughed when our cab drivers said they had a medical degree in their home country. Look at us now.

I know it will start a flame war, but I blame the baby boomers, I mean yes, it is fundamentally a scam from the banks to maintain wage slavery, but they should've been vigilant. Furthermore, they were intelligent enough to know that their being a large demographic was going to strain the following generations. They are from families with nine, ten kids and yet they all chose to have one, two, maybe three at most for the next few generations. The generations are out of balance.

If you think it is bad now, wait 10-15 years when they start developing advanced medical conditions and raid everything gen-X and gen-Y have left. Just wait.

I really think they just don't want to hire us. They sold all our jobs overseas while telling us we'll never amount to nothin'.

Thanks guys.
edit on 21-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join