It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air

www.extrem etech.com

A German student has built an electromagnetic harvester that recharges an AA battery by soaking up ambient, environmental radiation. These harvesters can gather free electricity from just about anything, including overhead power lines, coffee machines, refrigerators, or even the emissions from your WiFi router or smartphone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Interesting but is it free? doesn't it just suck power out of any near power station??
Not from "thin Air" as it states .. will you be noticed?
Is it possible to be billed if used ?

Didnt Nikola Tesla invent something close to this?
Something that took power from the cosmic rays?

Dont understand why they invent stuff like this really

Its not like we are taking one step back with this invention but we still stand still .. year after year with same gizmo just with updates

www.extrem etech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
ROFL, yeah I think they worded that incorrectly. It might be free to the person using the device, but it IS costing someone money.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AldrinAlden

It depends. I read about something like this before a couple of times. I have never known if it was real or hoax.

The thing is power lines bleed off electricity anyway so if you can recapture that energy you are not really taking anything away. This is an interesting find and it makes me want to research this more.

I remember reading about a guy who built coils in his attic that he claimed it captured enough electricity to power his house just like in your article he said he had to position them correctly. It made the news because the power company tried to prosecute him for stealing power but they failed to in court because there wasn’t connection but they still confiscated his setup. This was about 15 years ago.

A built a tiny Bendini coil once and it powered a LED I think it works off the same principle.

edit on 19-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
ROFL, yeah I think they worded that incorrectly. It might be free to the person using the device, but it IS costing someone money.

No its not. Its ambient EM radiation that if not captured, would simply dissipate into nothing. Its drawing energy from already lost energy. There is no additional draw from the devices producing the field, so it is costing no one anything extra.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Interesting, but nothing new. As Westinghouse and Rockefeller said to Tesla...where do we mount the Meters?

For 20 + years there have been many current affairs TV programs sensationalizing the "Problems" of electromagnetic radiation from High tension power lines etc.
To back up the stories claims, there is usually someone standing under these lines at night with a fluro tube, and the tube lights up automatically without a direct power connection........Just the ominous buzzing of the wires.
The same power transmission as this student has found.
This has been know for ages, there have been appliances invented without plugs, that just use the electromagnetic waves from the wires in a house.
I wonder what this is doing to modern people's brains tho?.....all these electrical/radiation/mircowaves surrounding us in the atmosphere.....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

BTW, this technology already exists in the mainstream from what I understand.

Example: anyone have one of those "smart" cards for the metro? Inside they contain no power source, yet store data. So how does one of the machines receive the data off the card, then write data onto it when you use the card, if the internal electronics have no power source to move the bits around into different configurations?

Answer: it utilizes the EM fields from the machine and turns those fields into tiny electric currents that is just enough to transmit / write small amounts of data.

RF Induction

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

No its not. Its ambient EM radiation that if not captured, would simply dissipate into nothing. Its drawing energy from already lost energy. There is no additional draw from the devices producing the field, so it is costing no one anything extra.

Yes but that ambient radiation is still be generated by some reaction so it is not "Free". It might not cost you anything, and it might not cost someone else MORE, but it is not free energy.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

If it's only gathered from local EM sources(from human sources) that might be true but if natural EM sources can be gathered from too then it wont always cost money.
edit on 19-2-2013 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If this thing is real something probably will happen to it. example back in the 70's some guy came out and said that he had designed a carborator that will get 100 miles to the gallon, can't remember all the detail since it was some time ago but he did have his reasearch and Testing to back up his design. It was news for about a week and then all of a sudden the story disappered and so did everything else that was related to it. I guess the oil companys bought him out.

So does this mean that we have a peice of Tec here that could save all of us money but will the inventor sell it and leave all of us in the cold.
edit on 19-2-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: SP

edit on 19-2-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Yes but that ambient radiation is still be generated by some reaction so it is not "Free". It might not cost you anything, and it might not cost someone else MORE, but it is not free energy.

That's an interesting perspective. So how do you qualify "free energy"? Energy... out of nowhere

Free Energy

The only definition which satisfies what you seem to imply is under pseudoscience.

Why stick with that one

It's free energy, as far as it's considered by the sciences, and economics.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

It depends. I read about something like this before a couple of times. I have never known if it was real or hoax.

The thing is power lines bleed off electricity anyway so if you can recapture that energy you are not really taking anything away. This is an interesting find and it makes me want to research this more.

I remember reading about a guy who built coils in his attic that he claimed it captured enough electricity to power his house just like in your article he said he had to position them correctly. It made the news because the power company tried to prosecute him for stealing power but they failed to in court because there wasn’t connection but they still confiscated his setup. This was about 15 years ago.

A built a tiny Bendini coil once and it powered a LED I think it works off the same principle.

edit on 19-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

If I'm not mistaken, people have gotten in some real trouble for setting up induction coils that collect power radiating off of power lines to power their houses. I don't think this would be a big deal though. It's probably only collecting mW.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wow. Someone invents something that could benefit the people and right away the shills come out trying to drag the invention through the mud. I wonder if that is because a German invented it or paid corporate shills are already trying to figure out a way to control it and bill the people for it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AldrinAlden
A German student has built an electromagnetic harvester that recharges an AA battery by soaking up ambient, environmental radiation.

Havent people ever played with a crystal radio? Same principle...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

That's an interesting question: How exactly do you define "Free Energy"?

Love the avatar, BTW!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yes it is. If I am extracting energy from something in someway and not paying money to do so, its free. Thats pretty much the definition OF free, in an economic sense, and the context of the article is in relation to people using the device in question, not in relation to power companies.

So yes, the article title is accurate. The electricity generated this way is free to the one with the device, which is who the article is referencing.

edit on 2/19/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom

That's an interesting perspective. So how do you qualify "free energy"? Energy... out of nowhere

Free Energy

The only definition which satisfies what you seem to imply is under pseudoscience.

Why stick with that one

It's free energy, as far as it's considered by the sciences, and economics.

Well "Free Energy" in most circumstances is energy that is gained in excess of what it cost to generate it. For instance if you are sucking ambient power from a power line or refrigerator than coal was still burned, or nuclear rods still produced steam etc. Hence my saying it might be monetarily free to the person using the device but someone still had to do something to create the energy that is transferred and used so somewhere down the line another resource was used to generate it.

"Free energy" in a non monetary sense is unproven and a fairy tale as far as I know. That's why we still have power bills.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gu1tarJohn

You are right people have gotten in trouble I just do not know if the courts could ever convict. The guy I heard about had his setup taken but I don’t think the courts convicted.

Power lines lose power anyway they just do not want you to collect it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

"Free energy" in a non monetary sense is unproven and a fairy tale as far as I know. That's why we still have power bills.

This is an assumption. It harvests EM. EM comes from natural sources as well. Guess we'd have to tinker with this device way out in the middle of no where to know how much "free" energy it's capable of capturing.

BTW, I have a way figured to get "free energy" by your definition.

You just nano-fiber a golden tether up into a low orbit (still has some gravity), and place it a slightly off the equator. At the equator it will have no pull. Off the center it will create pull. Too much pull and it will break. You must balance the force, and utilize the tension by converting some into electrical generation at a base station where the tether is mounted to the earth.
edit on 19-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

If you can figure out how to get "free energy" in a non monetary sense you will have changed all of mankind for eternity and probably get yourself suicided. It's not like I am making things up or trying to be a downer. Many people have made the claim before and not one of them as far as anyone knows has ever been proven to actually work.

I don't think you are quite understanding the definition of free energy. Getting it from a source without paying for it is not the same thing. Now having said that you are right if he can take it to the middle of the desert where there are no power lines or electronics and still generate a charge he might be onto something but from what I understand that is not what is being claimed.

Stealing or gathering it from electronic sources or powerlines is not free essentially, some resource was used to generate it to begin with.

Ok enough redundancy on my part I think I got my point across.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join