It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green 'Space' Slime Baffles Nature Experts

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I now there are many knowledgeable people here on ATS when it comes to space and all that happens there, so i wondered if anyone could make sense of this. It seems nobody can explain the slime left after meteor passes...

A "weird" green slime said in folklore to appear at the same time as meteors hit Earth has been found in a birdlife park in Somerset.

The RSPB have appealed for help in identifying the slime, which is said to be scattered on grass banks close to pools and lakes around Ham Wall Nature Reserve, near Glastonbury.

The jelly-like substance could be bacteria, fungus or toad innards, wildlife experts said.

Some believe it could be a substance that has been written about for centuries called star or astral jelly, which is said to appear in the wake of meteor showers.

Its appearance has coincided with a meteor strike in Russia and the harmless fly-by of an asteroid at a record distance from Earth last week.

Any ideas? Looks like wallpaper paste.

CX.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
sorry I just posted a thread about this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I'm gavitating towards the biological explanation: it might be bacterial colonies, slime mold, frog spawn, or regurgitated amphibian innards.

For your reading pleasure: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
sorry I just posted a thread about this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just saw that lol, sorry bout that.....i'll ;eave this here in Space Exploration, someone spacey might see it and be able to give an answer.

It's ok to have two threads of the same topic if they are in separate relevant forums.

CX.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Interesting Thread! I am going to go with an askomycetes or slime mold/protista. Cyanobacteria
is a type of Diazatroph. Diazatrophs are bacteria that have the ability to Fix Nitrogen. I have seen these
"Jellies" before. Here is a little theory : Bacteria and Fungi spores exist in our atmosphere and upper
atmosphere. When a Meterorite passes through, it is possible that some reaction occurs that results in
the bacteria/Spores to fall to the ground. At which time, they proliferate resulting in the Jelly. I am wondering if
Heat/ Electrical discharge plays a role in softening up the "Shell" of a spore allowing it to germinate quickly.
Similar to The Douglas Fir Tree Pine Cone Seeds that only germinate after exposed to forest fire.
Just a Hypothesis. A wild idea would be that the "Meteor" actually has spores on it that are released as
the object disintegrates. Again, these spores would fall to the ground and germinate.

Thanks for Sharing the article. S&F

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm thinking of calling BS. Simply because the weather is in the low teens F during the day and there's lots of snow. Just a thought

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

synchronicity

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If you've ever watched the movie Creepshow...you know what it is:

edit on 18-2-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think it is just frog spawn.

If it did, truly, fall from the meteor... Well then, maybe this is the ingredient which fell into the primordial soup from which we all emerged. The so-called "sperm" in the panspermia theory. (I am not trying to be crude, it is a real thing.)

Have they any test results yet than can say definitively what this stuff is?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by heyitsok

You're right

Check this artical

Link
edit on 22-2-2013 by fill0000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Variety of slime mold most likely...we get it here in FL occasionally after a good rain. I think the mold absorbs the downpour and then swells up....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I now there are many knowledgeable people here on ATS when it comes to space and all that happens there, so i wondered if anyone could make sense of this. It seems nobody can explain the slime left after meteor passes...

A "weird" green slime said in folklore to appear at the same time as meteors hit Earth has been found in a birdlife park in Somerset.

The RSPB have appealed for help in identifying the slime, which is said to be scattered on grass banks close to pools and lakes around Ham Wall Nature Reserve, near Glastonbury.

The jelly-like substance could be bacteria, fungus or toad innards, wildlife experts said.

Some believe it could be a substance that has been written about for centuries called star or astral jelly, which is said to appear in the wake of meteor showers.

Its appearance has coincided with a meteor strike in Russia and the harmless fly-by of an asteroid at a record distance from Earth last week.

Any ideas? Looks like wallpaper paste.

CX.

Now no longer 'baffling' as per MSM. Somebody just HAD TO find an explanation. However....
A fireball was spotted on 6 February 2013 in Somerset. And in English folklore, this 'astral jelly' has been associated in the past with sightings of meteors, asteroids, comets.
Then I come to think of what a weird month this February has been, what with meteor sightings in Florida, Cuba, 6 in California, one in Maine, one in Brazil that shook buildings, huge sinkholes in Arizona, plus snow in Arizona at Tucson and Phoenix preventing play in a major golf championship, temperatures of -30°F in New Mexico - in fact every major town was below zero (Sante Fe -10°F). And a giant sinkhole in Queensland that just swallowed up a 2-storey building. The snow this winter has been phenomenal in Europe, records broken all over the place. We've had over 400 die of the cold in Pakistan and India, snow in Thailand, Saudi Arabia, intense cold in Russia and Canada.
Nothing to worry about. Global warming, obviously. Except....
BIG COMET coming to a place near you, March 10TH!!!!.

new topics

top topics

join