It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Is Rocknest a "SHIP CEMETARY"(?!) on MARS showing the remnants of a lost civilization?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is kind of odd looking.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeep3r
Thanks for looking into this, nerbot. It's important to remain critical, I agree. But in this case it's really key to look at the details on the original GigaPan panorama, in order to actually 'see it'

I do understand, believe me, I've done my fair share of squinting in the past.

What I found ironic though is that you pointed out lots of natural formations that could be something unnatural but not the one thing that has geometric shape that DOES look unnatural.

Have you found it yet? I checked the panorama picture to get the best zoom on "it".

I'll give you a clue....it has 3 distinct equal length sides.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The Op has indeed discovered a Fleet - of rocks.

The thing is the Op may be on to something but none of these even remotely to me look like anything but rocks.

I need something a lil more to go on such as the work of this guy. He does point things out to you and recolor the pics to view them better but once you see what he's talking about.. well.. you really see it. Judge for yourself.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Sorry mate, but it's not even pareidolia!.....there is nothing in any of those images that even comes close to resembling ships

And as another poster has mentioned....have you taken scale into account?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I found this a while back and started a thread (from spirit rover) looked like a skull of a creature of some kind.
link www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-2-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
What I found ironic though is that you pointed out lots of natural formations that could be something unnatural but not the one thing that has geometric shape that DOES look unnatural.

Have you found it yet? I checked the panorama picture to get the best zoom on "it".

I'll give you a clue....it has 3 distinct equal length sides.

You didn't, by any chance, mean Curiosity's high gain antenna?

But thanks again for engaging in this thread. I can imagine that this post and my 'theory' will be torn to shreds, but hey: I mean, this is the right place to discuss something as controversial as this, isn't it!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I noticed that alot of folks back then (go to my link) thought that was the best they've seen! (of course all them folks are now banned)

What can ya say? marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Oh my goddess, I can't believe this hasn't been said yet, but it looks like all the naysayers on this thread have "Sunk your Battleship!"

I'm giving you a star and flag for putting together a very nice presentation, a great presentation in fact. And for finding a unique thing to say or guess at about the Mars rocks. And especially for the one picture where you laid out actual ships on the martian landscape. That pic is worth 10,000 words - and a star and flag!

Thanks for the appreciation, and yeah, I guess they've sunk my battleship!

Still, I'm here to defend my claim and we'll see whether or not ATS can come up with some supporters. Again, I admit this is a controversial idea and the methods I use (based on visual evidence and a lot of imagination/fantasy) are very, very limiting.

Yet, I wouldn't have done all that work, if I hadn't identified the necessary details in the original images. And to be honest: I don't like what I see, but it seems to be the best explanation for the stuff lying around at Rocknest and other places in that area ... and please don't ask me 'why the hell' there should be ships on Mars. I really don't know. But it seems that they are there and - in that case - it's up to us to find out WHY!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

NO, not the antenna.

If you go here: hi res panorama pic

Go to the far right. There are two similar size rocks on the horizontal plane a quarter way from the bottom of the pic. Just above the left hand rock is a triangle that looks a little unnatural. Just a rock, but geometrical in shape.

I also found an old car exhaust pipe...lol

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

That's an interesting find, whereas I would expect organisms to decay down to their skeleton prior to turning into stone over the eons.

Oh yes, and if - at any point - I should be banned or this thread be deleted (or both!), then you can draw your own conclusions about the posted content (either it's really BS, or there's something to it) ...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Go to the far right. There are two similar size rocks on the horizontal plane a quarter way from the bottom of the pic. Just above the left hand rock is a triangle that looks a little unnatural. Just a rock, but geometrical in shape.

I also found an old car exhaust pipe...lol

Oh, sorry ... I think I found it, is it on there?:

It should be the trianglular shaped rock just slighly above the left section of what I identified to be vessel no. 4, right?!

Apart from that, I'd really have to be careful calling anything a rock in this area, for it could be something completely different ... just saying what nobody else dares to say!

Thanks again for the post, nerbot!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Yup, that little triangle. Or is it something more?

Great panorama pic isn't it? I might use it in an illustration some time after messing with it in photoshop.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

That's an interesting find, whereas I would expect organisms to decay down to their skeleton prior to turning into stone over the eons.

Oh yes, and if - at any point - I should be banned or this thread be deleted (or both!), then you can draw your own conclusions about the posted content (either it's really BS, or there's something to it) ...

I agree. I just notice though while going over that old thread I started back in 2007 that alot of the folks that were going on about the skull (or rock) I found were banned
Just a COINCIDENCE I'm sure

But, anyway, it still looks weird to me (like a skull) with the teeth, eye and such. Who knows? I just look mostly now at what other people are finding because its tough to find a really good picture that blows you away..

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

...Apart from that, I'd really have to be careful calling anything a rock in this area, for it could be something completely different ... just saying what nobody else dares to say!

OP, thanks for the work you put into this.
I can see what you see...when you show me...what you see - but, will have to take more time to see if I can see it without your guiding light.
I do, though, see numerous oddities in the panorama.
Love the trenches and...wish I could take a snapshot of some of the more interesting scenarios...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22
This is kind of odd looking.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

Tried some rudimentary color correction on this pic. I have to say it really doesn't look like a rock and what is sticking out of it?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
The thing is the Op may be on to something but none of these even remotely to me look like anything but rocks.

Thanks for the reply and the video-link, JohnPhoenix!

Actually, your post inspired me to put some more effort into outlining the details of what I mean. Accordingly, I'll try to highlight a bit more those features that - to me - resemble 'petrified remains' of ship hulls and superstructures that partly still stick out of the sand or surface under which they have been buried long ago. So, in a sense, we're really talking about "Rocks" ... only that some of the remains have caused a different coloring of the material that I associate with parts of the shipwrecks - which are petrified, of course.

So please take a look at the images and annotations below. I also implemented pictures of shipwrecks seen from a similar perspective here on earth, with the difference that those - of course - have not been subject to erosion or petrification over thousands of years:

Vessel 4:

For Comparison:

Vessel 5:

And again vessel 1 (which is the most 'obvious'):

And here goes a pic of the rubble that remains of a sunken ship after some time:

Imagine all this stuff would partially become covered by marine or other (micro-)organisms that - together with what's left of the metal/wood etc. - would turn into stone. Add thousands of years of erosion and perhaps what's left of it all would be similar to what we see at rocknest.

Regarding the more 'earthly' shipwreck images: I included the source URL's into the images that I have taken from the web and hope they will not get deleted (as far as I know they are not stock images).

By the way: You guys here at ATS are hard to convince, but I'm doing my best to pull you over on my side!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hey jeep3r keep trying I did in the Navy and I'm still alive! ( the things i went through are epic) Though I am now a certifiable reck, I say go for it!!

snap out of the negative and put forth you're stuff!

edit on 17-2-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Also as to why the shapes may be similar to earth ships,
many agree that mars may have been similar climate wise
to earth, and as we know ship design is for optimal
efficiency, one could argue that a design like a ship would
be relatively similar if the climate is roughly similar.

But im sorry OP, while you may be correct about them being
the remains of ships its simply more likely they are just
rocks, A for effort but solid proof will likely be impossible
to find in this case. though i did enjoy the read, thank you.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I'm sorry OP, but for the life of me I can't see a ship cemetary. Looks exactly like rocks. I've seen much MUCH more strange sh*t on Mars than this.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
double post
edit on 17/2/2013 by Razziazoid because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join