It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetes: Thermo-stable Insulin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I just finished reading "One Second After" and thought there HAS to be a better way to increase survivability of Type 1 Diabetics... so I pored through many many articles until I came upon this one: Thermostable Insulin

A major health challenge for people living in tropical and subtropical regions of the developing world is the “cold chain,” the need to refrigerate certain vaccines and drugs, particularly insulin. It’s a nearly impossible-to-fill requirement in poor, technology-starved countries. But a solution is on the horizon. With members of his laboratory, Dr. Michael Weiss has invented a new type of insulin that is ultra-stable and fully active for many months, even at temperatures above 100o F.

I also found a video by the above company:

edit: Ugh.. can someone please fix my video link? Thanks!!
edit on 12/2/2013 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

That is a true life saver and for more than just the 3rd world I believe. I've pondered many times what may happen when people like my Wife (Type II with wild swings) go through a 'SHTF' scenario? A little detail few seem to consider through all the talk of guns and fighting are basics in life, like meds. Like Insulin. When the lights go out and the trucks stop rolling for resupply to the national pharmacy chains ..... what becomes of those who depend on perishable meds for their very lives?

This may at least offer hope to one segment and for one type of med people literally can't live for long without.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
YouTube link fixed:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thank you! This is a great find. S&F!
I have a friend who could use this info.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Much appreciated, thanks!
The clinical trial data should be available by now, I'd think. I'll see if I can locate more information.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I haven't yet found the data for the thermostable version, still looking BUT

Insulin Pills in Clinical Trials

top topics

join