It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Story is Just Too Complicated to Even Narrow Down a Title.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I really like how unbiased the Journal Star was on the story too. Nothing says 'Go team!" like a big DHHS logo at the top, and a condescending smartass closing line:
"And Himburg, who had so much to say early in the week, no longer would comment."

At least the local comments were overwhelmingly in support of the police officer. One in particular said she was a foster parent, and felt like the DHHS folks often had their priorities out of whack.

Shame this guy is gonna get axed over politics, when morally he was dead-on right. That's the price we all have to be ready to pay in this day and age if we choose the right.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I've got your thread title:

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Bureaucracy Strikes Again

This cop deserves a raise and promotion. He actually cared more about the girl than he did the screwed up system. Sadly the screwed up system doesn't agree with his assessment of where priorities should lay.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Social workers out of their depth for the title, that could have seriously ended in tragedy. The parents are obvious morons to leave their sixteen year old daughter alone at home while they are out partying.
The Step mum should lose her licence on the spot, but that probably wont stop her from driving.
The Father is also an idiot for taking the step Mums side. Like i said it could have ended in tragedy at least the child is now in someone else's care and the issue with luck will get sorted as the media is probably now aware'.
The officer should be commendated not punished, shows the system does not work.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I grew up in a house with drunk & abusive parents, I get what this girl was thinking at the time.
She now knows what I also learned as a teenager.... NEVER call the police. Running away until things calm down is far better.

It also helps to have an older friend with their own apartment, because when it's really beyond repair at home, it's probably a good idea to just move out. When the police get involved, they get everyone else involved too. Then there are social workers up your ass all the time looking for an excuse to take further actions, and a bunch of meetings and court dates to deal with.

No one enjoys that mess.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Refreshing to read good cop story for a change.

This guy used excellent judgement and is possilbly going to lose his job for doing so....... ridiculous simply ridiculous

Go with Heff's title It's a humdinger
edit on 11-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There it is in black and white, and people wonder how someone like Chris Dorner could snap at the actions taken against him? All I have to say is these "we protect our own" bureaucrats better figure out that the public is getting really tired really fast of this mentality and it wont be long before the people turn on them. Protect and serve ourselves is the new motto of modern civil servant.

ETA* Glad to see the officer that responded had the common sense to step in and do something right for a change. Just so sick of reading almost on a daily basis about corrupt cops, glad there are at least a couple good ones left.

edit on 2/11/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

That's it in a nutshell isn't it? How can a good Cop actually do their job today. The one thing that really gets to me(other than the obvious bias by the Journal Star, but in the same token people around here think the HHS can't do wrong) is that the article says the Sheriff was behind Himburg until he wrote the letter. Personally I think that is BS. If he was behind Himburg he would have told HHS to wake up someone else. She was not the only one available, but the only one on call. By this logic if she had been drinking and killed someone in a car accident she would have been let off because they just didn't want to wake another worker up out of their comfort sleep. The safety of the Child is of the utmost importance not who is on call and the practice of leaving the children in a dangerous situation because the probation officer "cant take her in the middle of the night" is BS as well. I know from living here that there are places she could have been taken.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
And people wounder why we have just bad cops?
And people wounder why we have just bad cops?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
That's it in a nutshell isn't it? How can a good Cop actually do their job today.

That's just it...

They don't WANT good cops, the good ones are all fired.

The LAPD manhunt makes this VERY clear.

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. the major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality." ~ Michael Ellner

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
isnt it great the cops who do the right thing and care get the shaft when they should get a promotion. This is the reason why cops are getting so bad the good one are quiting or not joining in the first place because this is what always happens. The only cops willing to be cops now days are the ones you don't want in a uniform...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
OP: Excellent post!!!
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me-at all.
I think the sheriff is the hero in this case!!! He shouldn't have been made to "un-arrest" the DHS worker. He did the right thing and he's getting it in the hind quarters for doing so. So wrong!!!

"Angered by this situation and finding no resolve Himburg wrote a letter detailing the actions of the Social Worker and his own department to the media."

^The above statement had me searching for the letter he sent to the media. I can't seem to find it. Was the letter ever published???? If so, I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction to find the letter.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
That was really complicated.. I could not have made a title to it either.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is just another story of a dysfunctional family taking up too much of other peoples time and effort.

We don't know who is right or wrong in this. For all we know the girl may be a manipulative b*tch whose goal in life is mischief. The mother's done herself no favours and the dad may just be a victim of all of this.

Social workers get so much grief, but they work with the slugs of society, as do the police.

We don't know all the facts except this family is dysfunctional and sometimes children can be nasty.

Regards

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Local new stations always spin stories in favor the establishment. Especially stories involving law enforcement!
Arresting the social worker is a terrible move! It's his job to determine the safety of the individuals, and he determined she was safe. Nothing illegal about that. And she was safe. It was the dad who called the cops.

Don't be swayed by the way they're spinning the story
I can't believe there's so many siding with the cop. He's abusing his authority!!
edit on 11-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Interesting, I'm used to hearing this type of stuff lean too far the other direction where social workers involve themselves in the family and strip parents of their children for "disciplining" them too "harshly" which we all know everyone draws that line differently. The government is NO BETTER a judge on where that line should be than the actual parents of the child in most cases...

I would have been stuck in the foster system for sure if the government control freaks knew how I was raised even though I came out pretty well rounded if you ask me. Had the government had a hand in my life I might not be where I am...I might have some severe issues from being tied up in foster homes etc. which isn't much better than dealing with abusive parents.

I'm, really really hesitant and leery about applauding the government/authorities getting involved with family affairs but alas...this family was just asking for it constantly calling the cops...

So I really think this OP begs the question of HOW you would discipline a delinquent teenager who decided to pit you against the authorities over and over again and claim abuse when you tried to discipline them for A) whatever initially needed correction and B) calling the police to come to her rescue and make accusations of abuse possibly getting you arrested in the process.

the drinking and etc doesn't help the case for the parents and definitely swings things in the child's favor but my main concern and question is at what point is it really ok for the government to get involved and who gets to make that "judgement" call...???
edit on 11-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
OMG the parents drink, clearly they are bad people, kill them, crucify them, draw and quarter them and burn them at the stake.

Then again the cop could be nailing the 16 year old, wouldn't be the first time, it clearly seems he is too involved.

There is a lot more to this story than is being reported.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What is important to note in this story is who the 'police" actually work for? The police are usually there to arrest, so, do they arrest the social worker - indicating the work for the young girl and the parents etc. or do they arrest the girl - indicating the work for the social worker? Do the arrest the parents and the girl - indicating the work for the state only?

Who do the police work for?

What is the REAL purpose for the police?

Who to the social workers work for?

What is the REAL reason for the social worker?

Why do these people, members of the government, have authority over this family, and, does the family know what "laws" bind them in the matter?

By the few facts included, it is very clear, very, very clear, there is no one on god's green earth who is actually there to assist, who has a connection to assist and who is welcomed by this family as a respected assistant. It appears the government works it magic by: arresting, or removing (a form of arrest) as a solution to everything - coupled with a fine, imprisonment and or community service. Mystifying.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Someone call in Dr Phil to sort it out!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I've got your thread title:

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Bureaucracy Strikes Again

This cop deserves a raise and promotion. He actually cared more about the girl than he did the screwed up system. Sadly the screwed up system doesn't agree with his assessment of where priorities should lay.

~Heff

agreed~! (star)

The 'social' system is WAY F* up~! and this comes from personal experience~!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join