It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galactic interplanetary Design Awards 2013! (a feast for the eyes)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Coming to you from your hosts on the beautiful pearl of the Milky Way, planet Earth!

Presenting the main categories of the GIDA 2013;

Vehicles.
Land, Sea and Air.

Architecture.
Homes & living, Superstructure and Public space.

Art.
Sculpture, Painting and Music(sound).

Submissions from all nations, species and planets of the galaxy are encouraged.
Hopefully this contest will transcend any agreements similar to the Prime Directive.
Surely many civilizations out there have technology far more advanced than humans, but the question is, what about the design?

I am sure that even though humans would fall behind in several scientific and technological areas, our aesthetic appreciation is in the top.
Both when it comes to visual and auditory design.

Supposedly many humans throughout our history have seen vehicles(UFOs) from "other worlds", and from what I personally have seen on pictures, I am not especially impressed by the design of these objects.

I will therefor submit my own list of the nine most well designed and beautiful things created by us humans, and I encourage other readers of this post to do the same.
Readers both from Earth and anywhere in our Galaxy.

If submissions only come from Earthlings, I will assume that there are no other nations, species and/or planets in our galaxy, who feels that they can match us humans.

Lets begin.

Vehicles / Land.
My choice, a car.

Namely the 1938 Bugatti 57SC Atlantic.

In my opinion, the most beautiful car ever built. Simple as that.

Type 57SC
Just two supercharged Type 57SC cars were built new, but most 57S owners wanted the additional power afforded by the blower. Therefore, most of the original Type 57S cars returned to Molsheim for the installation of a supercharger, pushing output from 175 hp (130 kW) to 200 hp (150 kW) and 120 mph (190 km/h).

Atlantic
The Atlantic body Type 57S featured flowing coupe lines with a pronounced dorsal seam running front to back. It was based on the "Aérolithe" concept car of 1935. Like the Type 59 Grand Prix car, the Aérolithe used Elektron (a magnesium alloy) or Duralumin (an aluminium alloy) for its body panels. Therefore, the body panels were riveted externally, creating the signature seam.
The production Atlantics (just four were made) used plain aluminium, however. But the dorsal seams were retained for style, and have led to the car's present fame.
Only two of the cars survive. One is in the collection of Ralph Lauren, the second was owned by Dr. Peter Williamson, and won best of show at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Williamson's car (#57374) was sold for between $30 and $40 million at an auction in May 2010 to the Mullin Automotive Museum located in Oxnard, California.

Wiki

Vehicles / Sea.
My choice, a yacht.

Wallypower 118

Combining the size and luxury of a yacht with the speed and performance of a racing boat, the Wallypower 118 is one impressive piece of design.

118 WallyPower is a 118-foot (36 m) luxury motor yacht with a maximum speed of 60 knots (70 mph, 110 km/h) produced by Wally Yachts. The yacht is narrow and angular in design with black glass housing, driven by three Vericor TF50 gas turbines generating 5,600 horsepower (4,200 kW), each driving a Rolls-Royce Kamewa water jet, two steerable outboard and a non-steering booster on the centerline. The steerable water jets also have a diesel engine input for a 370 hp (280 kW) Cummins diesel, and are thus Combined Diesel or Gas Turbine (CODOG). The total power output is 16,800 horsepower (12,500 kW). One 118 WallyPower has been constructed and it is owned by the Kondakji family.

Wiki

Vehicles / Air.
My choice, a stealth aircraft.

Lockheed Have Blue.

First of, a big thanks to boomer135 for earlier this day providing me with the idea of including this masterpiece.
If not for boomer135, my choice would have been the Lockheed SR-71.
His thread about the Have Blue is hear;
boomer135 Have Blue

Lockheed Have Blue was the code name for Lockheed's demonstrator (i.e., "proof of concept") that preceded the F-117 Nighthawk production stealth aircraft. Have Blue was designed by Lockheed's Skunk Works division, and tested at Groom Lake, Nevada. The Have Blue was the first fixed-wing aircraft designed from an electrical engineering (rather than an aerospace engineering) perspective. The aircraft's plate-like, faceted shape was designed to deflect electromagnetic waves, greatly reducing its radar signature. Two flyable vehicles were constructed, but both crashed during the flight-test program.

Wiki

Architecture / Homes & living.

My choice, Fallingwater, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the greatest architects we have had, as of late, on this planet, designed this amazing house.
Combining clean lines and angles with the "softness" in natural materials.
Sticking out from the surrounding environment yet blending in, thus making a true statement of grand design.

Fallingwater or Kaufmann Residence is a house designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935 in rural southwestern Pennsylvania, 43 miles (69 km) southeast of Pittsburgh. The home was built partly over a waterfall on Bear Run in the Mill Run section of Stewart Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in the Laurel Highlands of the Allegheny Mountains.
Hailed by Time shortly after its completion as Wright's "most beautiful job", it is listed among Smithsonian's Life List of 28 places "to visit before you die." It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. In 1991, members of the American Institute of Architects named the house the "best all-time work of American architecture" and in 2007, it was ranked twenty-ninth on the list of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA.

Wiki

edit on 10-2-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Architecture / Superstructure.

My choice, The Great Pyramid of Giza.

Though there would be some arguing wether or not this amazing superstructure is made by humans, I would like to think that it is. And I think we deserve recognition for building something like this.
It has inspired us thousands of years after being built.
Created some of our most known mysteries and been a place for both relaxation and adventure.

The Great Pyramid of Giza (also known as the Pyramid of Khufu or the Pyramid of Cheops) is the oldest and largest of the three pyramids in the Giza Necropolis bordering what is now El Giza, Egypt. It is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the only one to remain largely intact. Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was built as a tomb for fourth dynasty Egyptian Pharaoh Khufu (Cheops in Greek) over a 10 to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BCE. Initially at 146.5 metres (481 feet), the Great Pyramid was the tallest man-made structure in the world for over 3,800 years. Originally, the Great Pyramid was covered by casing stones that formed a smooth outer surface; what is seen today is the underlying core structure. Some of the casing stones that once covered the structure can still be seen around the base. There have been varying scientific and alternative theories about the Great Pyramid's construction techniques.

Wiki

Architecture / Public space.

My choice, The Louvre.

A public space which is beautiful both inside and out, this is one of the most amazing places on Earth.
Architecture at its finest and filled with some of the greatest treasures of this planet.

The Musée du Louvre (French pronunciation:  [myze dy luvʁ])—in English, the Louvre Museum or simply The Louvre—is one of the world's largest museums, and a historic monument. A central landmark of Paris, France, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement (district). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 19th century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet). With more than 8 million visitors each year, the Louvre is the world's most visited museum.

Wiki

Art / Sculpture.

My choice, Ai Weiwei´s Sunflower Seeds.

Due to the pure size and mass in combination with the factor of involvement from the observers and how it changes the space of the room, I am not totally sure if I should put this down as a sculpture or more appropriate, an installment, but non the less, I will have this as my contribution for the above mentioned category.

In October 2010, Sunflower Seeds was installed at the Tate Modern Turbine Hall, London. The work consists of one hundred million porcelain "seeds," each individually hand-painted in the town of Jingdezhen by 1,600 Chinese artisans, and scattered over a large area of the exhibition hall. The artist was keen for visitors to walk across and roll in the work to experience and contemplate the essence of his comment on mass consumption, Chinese industry, famine and collective work. However, on 16 October, Tate Modern stopped people from walking on the exhibit due to health liability concerns over the porcelain dust. In February 2011, a 220-pound (100 kg) pile from Sunflower Seeds sold for $559,394 (well above its high estimate of $195,000) at Sotheby's in London. In May 2012, Tate Modern acquired 8 million of Ai's "Sunflower Seeds" with support from the Art Fund, although the figure was not disclosed.

Wiki

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Art / Painting.

My choice, Guernica, by Pablo Picasso.

Ever since I was a kid, I have been fascinated by this painting, well actually all paintings made by Picasso.
It is hard to say exactly why this one is my favorite though.
I guess the pure size of it is one reason and the order in the chaos is another one. It also contain a message which is just as important today as it was then.

Guernica is a painting by Pablo Picasso. It was created in response to the bombing of Guernica, a Basque Country village in northern Spain by German and Italian warplanes at the behest of the Spanish Nationalist forces, on 26 April 1937, during the Spanish Civil War. The Spanish Republican government commissioned Picasso to create a large mural for the Spanish display at the Paris International Exposition at the 1937 World's Fair in Paris.
Guernica shows the tragedies of war and the suffering it inflicts upon individuals, particularly innocent civilians. This work has gained a monumental status, becoming a perpetual reminder of the tragedies of war, an anti-war symbol, and an embodiment of peace. On completion Guernica was displayed around the world in a brief tour, becoming famous and widely acclaimed. This tour helped bring the Spanish Civil War to the world's attention.

Wiki

Art / Music (sound).

My choice, Pakard by Plastikman aka Richie Hawtin.

I think this will be the perfect end to my post.
When it comes to "design of music", this is my choice and might I add a very easy one.
The vast landscape which this song builds up is in my opinion an amazing experience.
Just like designing the sound of a closing car door or the sound of a signal on your iPad, this song is somewhat perfection in its simplicity.

The album Artifakts (BC) came first out in 1998 on Richie Hawtins own record label M_nus.
Pakard being the opening song on the album.
Followed by five more amazing examples of engineered sounds.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I changed this post to another forum which I felt was more appropriate.
Since this post is about design in our galaxy and not only on planet Earth (hopefully).
edit on 10-2-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hmm I was really hoping to see more ideas and contributions in this thread...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
mmm.... why does that car..

remind me of a penis....

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

I am not sure, but perhaps illusory pattern perception

new topics

top topics

join