It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you faced you demons?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is a good thread topic. I have thought about this before, but you said to do the opposite when these "demons" whisper in your ear.... that is good advice! Like you said, to keep a balance.

I will name the ones of mine that I am aware of: shame, fear, self loathing. I think there's more, but I don't know how to name it/them.

So by what you said, when shame comes what should I do? When fear comes, of course be brave, and self loathing? Love? Good topic to get me thinking.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

I have no demons. I have opportunities to learn from my mistakes, mistakes caused by my vices and flaws, but I have no demons. To have a demon is to deny the benefit of being imperfect. I would never do that to myself, because if you never utilize your imperfections, then they will only ever be a hindrance to your growth.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

you got me there,, burned!

and for the post above,, it is not harmful to play around with perspectives...

edit on 9-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

No.....I do not name them, but they do have names... I cast them out.

And I do that only because I use THE NAME!!

And only with a God given discernment.

You can't cast out a part of yourself no matter how hard you try. Your task is fruitless and gains nothing except self-contempt and spiritual injury.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Your task is fruitless and gains nothing except self-contempt and spiritual injury.

One of my greatest problems with this stuff. Some spiritual paths lead to self-contempt and a disdain for those qualities which instill much fear but represent even more potential.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

Demons? A brain doesn't have demons. It's a set of brain cells and chemical reactions. You make whatever you wish from it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I don't think this is about regular emotions. I took it to mean emotions that seem to come about too easily and too often to be good for us. For example, feeling shame might be normal if you've done something wrong. But feeling shame on an almost daily basis for things that you did some many years ago, that might be considered a "demon" that the OP is talking about. Of course I can't speak for the OP, but that's what I thought it meant regarding this discussion.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Nailed it!

i am also suggesting the possibility that these super bad emotions, that cripple us,,
may actually "feed" some kind of quantum entity.... but this is irrelevant,
what is important, is to identify your Achilles heel, and make the best of every situation..
by admitting to yourself, that you always have "room to improve",,
if someone can`t accept this truth,, well then, sorry, and keep lying to yourself,,

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

One of my greatest problems with this stuff. Some spiritual paths lead to self-contempt and a disdain for those qualities which instill much fear but represent even more potential.

Exactly. We might as well use what we have instead of brushing them under the carpet. These 'demons' have utility.

Fear allows one to be wary of things that may bring harm.

Anger fuels the body with ambition and teaches us about ourselves.

Jealousy forces us to value those who are closest to us, and to teach us a lesson about things we take for granted.

These 'demons,' once recognized and contemplated, can be used for practical purposes.

I don't want to go off topic, but I've been thinking these 'demons' are likely the result of one emotion that remains nameless, one bodily function that constantly reminds us of our connection to other living things by making us feel a certain way when these connections are in any way tampered with or affected by forces out of our control. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

It's not unnamed. It's called "attachment". All of these things are byproducts of such a relationship being threatened in some way. Everything Jesus taught was about controlling such a relationship to the best ability to benefit all involved parties.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

of course we have practical uses for some of these things, but for example, i was afraid of tarantulas at one point,
so i went on and bought one (his name is hadji)
then i said to myself, this creature sure is amazing, okay its venomous, but not enough to kill me,
so my fear is irrational, so after a sweaty moment, i picked him up, for a walk around my arm, and now we are best buddies, and he is just a sweet little hairball,,
demon begone!
this is a simple example, other things can be harder to beat.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with jigger, they are just a part of what once was necessary and still is a necessary part of survival, but lately I don't have the strength for any of them.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

There is righteous indignation, but some people take the anger, hate, jealousy emotion to an all new level, obviously.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's not unnamed. It's called "attachment". All of these things are byproducts of such a relationship being threatened in some way. Everything Jesus taught was about controlling such a relationship to the best ability to benefit all involved parties.

Shortly after they called it 'original sin,' and made it into something we should do away with. If you're correct, then Christianity is nothing more than the perversion of Christ's teachings.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

Yes there's quite the difference between rational and irrational fears. One can only sublimate his 'demons' with rationality, and not by forcing emotions to negate emotions.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The more you think about something, the more energy you put into it, the stronger it becomes. There are no demons, only wild imagination.

An old native american story:
"A grandfather is teaching his grandson about the good and bad tendencies existing in each of us.
-Sometimes, he says, I feel like I have inside me two wolves, a black one and a white one. They always fight against each other.
-And which one wins? asks the child.
-The one I feed most."

Being aware of your "demons", just observing them will make them disappear like magic. No fight is needed.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Facing them is just looking at them so that is vision. After that comes hearing, sound or the ear. Then comes feeling them, which is skin or touch and ofcourse the scent. It might be in a different order ofcourse but that is what happens when you choose to face them. Once they have fully materialized though you can make them look like anything you want, make them do whatever you want, you can even convince them they are somebody else completely or just toss them out.
edit on 11/2/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

This topic scares me.

Quite often, I believe that all people are a gray area. All people have different amounts of good and evil in them... and it's true.

But the thought of demon possession isn't something I'm entirely ready to face. Why?

I've seen more evidence of it than I have any other supernatural and/or religious idea.

I had a friend recently who got possessed, and she and I got into a serious altercation when she was "possessed." She was naturally the attention-seeker type. So, a lot of times, I would suspect that she'd have these mental episodes merely for attention, like a lot of things she does.

But the thing that really turned me to this idea was how very different she was when she'd have these episodes. She would say things that were entirely opposite from her girlish personality. "THE WEAK MUST DIE!" etc. Things that she'd never say.

But the scariest thing about it was this; she'd know certain things before anyone told her.

She once told me that she had a feeling I was going to choose another of our friends over her, and move in with him.

It was true. My fiance and I were planning a room mate agreement with another friend, but we hadn't told anybody. Not a soul.

There was no way she could have known about it.

She told me she couldn't get my face and my other friend's face out of her head.

Just after she told me this, she had another episode, and she'd frantically flip back and fourth between a dry, weird laughter, and sobbing out of fear.

She had a reputation for having a "sixth sense" for reading people's emotions and intentions.

And she once told me that I had something in me that was the scariest thing she'd ever seen or felt. She saw a demon in my eyes.

I only personally experienced demonic possession (that I know of) once before, a couple years ago. But, I look at it as more of an angry episode rather than a possession.

The reason I now call it a possession is because I examined my behavior during the event, and I compared it to my friend's.

When my friend would have her possession episodes, I would feel a sudden rush, some really odd sense of adrenaline that I never usually feel. I also get a very powerful, mad desire to laugh, and when she's having a possession fit, it seems funny to me... not actually funny, but I want to laugh at her, just because she's suffering. I also get the desire to hit her and attack her.

I am NOT that kind of person... not thoroughly.

The strange feelings I experience when she has her episodes really scares me.

So... no. I haven't faced my demons.

edit on 12-2-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
"Our emotions are pure. Our logic is korrupt. "- Capital Steez a reply to: jiggerj

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

How do you know Ukko is older than Odin?

No one knows how old the myths from the Kalevala are.

Or maybe you do.. no disrespect meant.
edit on 14-9-2015 by TheLaughingGod because: eh..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join