It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blizzard Alert:Northeast Snowstorm could be among the worst of alltime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
And remember folks if you lose power but have a natural gas or propane hot water tank and still have water pressure turn your shower on hot and close the door. It might get steamy but it will keep you warmer than no heat at all, and if you do this keep an eye on kids, or pets in the same room. Don't want noone getting burned trying to stay warm. You could easily keep the bathroom at 80* running this for short periods of time.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Lot of snow in my area, ice on the roads as well.

But who cares, just stay at home - I have all sorts of preps for events like this. I could care less if the roads stay like this for days.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Lot of snow in my area, ice on the roads as well.

But who cares, just stay at home - I have all sorts of preps for events like this. I could care less if the roads stay like this for days.

Same here got the woodstove cranking walking around in shorts & t shirt.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild

Originally posted by darrylss
reply to post by riverwild

LOL Oh the Devastation! LOL... I wish we only got 2 feet of snow..from a Canadians perspective, this is very comical! hahahah
YOu call its a snow storm, its called a Winter wonderland here LOL

A Winter Wonderland – Roddickton, Newfoundland & Labrador

WOW!!!!

That's quite a picture!

Those in the NE would have no idea how to handle snow like that.

Not to mention only a small population of Canadians actually see anything like that in their lifetime. Most live in the South, and for example, here its like Seattle, rain with scant snow around Christmas only. And the southern interior is milder than much of the states, such as the East coast or Colorado, lovely climate.

Even the snow in the interior and around Cariboo is lovely to look at, the cold rarely lasts long and many chinooks and melts.
edit on 8-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Night Star
Just went to help a little. I have back problems so couldn't do much, but got the stairs and a path going. Now I'm sore as hell. There's a LOT of snow out there.

Be careful Sweet Pea. Save your energy and health...it could get worse. If you have some old sheets or curtains in storage. Lay them down on the steps you have already cleared off. Keep the ends where you can get to them. The next time you need to clear the steps or narrow walkway...grab the end of the material and drag it off to the side to clear the snow. Saves a lot of shoveling if you do it often enough. It's better if you have 2 people to do this job, but one can do it...I have.

Des

edit on 8-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Kind of hard because on both sides of the porch steps there are huge flower bushes. You have to shovel down all the steps until you get an opening where you can put the snow.

Good thing my neice and her boyfriend live on the first floor. They're a lot younger and healthier.

They havn't plowed the roads yet or if they did, you can't tell. Can't make out where the road ends and the sidewalk begins. Can't see out some of my windows they are so frosted over. Man, you can hear that wind outside. Our power flickered a few times. That's all for now. Supposed to snow like crazy all night and part of tommorow yet.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatpiino
reply to post by Night Star

Yeah, the wind is really starting to pick up, making me nervous about losing power. But at least this time if it gets knocked out for a few days again, we can just put everything from the freezer outside so it's not all wasted. I remember when Irene passed through, I had to eat like 4 containers of ice cream just so they wouldn't go to waste

edit on 8-2-2013 by greatpiino because: spelling

True. Good idea about putting the food outside. You might have to dig a bit to find it after though.

Yes very windy!!!!!!!! Our power flickered a few times, but so far, so good.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Winter Storm Batters Northeast; 500,000 Without Power

A storm that forecasters warned could be a blizzard for the history books, with a potential for up to 3 feet of snow, clobbered the New York-to-Boston corridor on Friday, grounding flights, sending office workers home early and knocking out power to half a million customers across the Northeast.

www.npr.org...

Not over yet. Stay safe all.
edit on 9-2-2013 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
the media hype around storms turns my stomach. it's good to tell people to prepare, but the ratings grabbing fear mongering sucks

we got 18" and no wind

to those with 3 feet on the ground, take your time digging out, don't over do it

it looks like everybody still has power n CT anyway

thank you whoever controls this crazy world thank you for that !!!!!!!!

edit on 9-2-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
And remember folks if you lose power but have a natural gas or propane hot water tank and still have water pressure turn your shower on hot and close the door. It might get steamy but it will keep you warmer than no heat at all, and if you do this keep an eye on kids, or pets in the same room. Don't want noone getting burned trying to stay warm. You could easily keep the bathroom at 80* running this for short periods of time.

yup, love those old school appliances with pilot lights. the new fangled ones have ignitors and require electricity

also, any crazy ideas of using construction heaters or other propane burning appliances inside DON'T. there is a carbon monoxide risk !!!

be safe peeps

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Mayor Michael Bloomberg says today’s snowstorm won’t be as bad as the epic “Snowpocalypse” of 2010.

“We don’t think that people are going to be that inconvenienced,”

politicker.com...

Anyone remember “Snowpocalypse” of 2010?

Check out this Weatherman Freaking Out Over DC Snowpocalypse.

www.dailymotion.com...

edit on 9-2-2013 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Accuweather lists the blizzard for this morning. How many more inches are we going to get?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Accuweather lists the blizzard for this morning. How many more inches are we going to get?

Hard to tell. Depends on who is reporting it.

Did a search:

Some say 2 to 3 ft. - Others 2 ft - another, just under 2 ft. - one said 8 inches.

It's not clear if thats today or a total for the storm.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Something hinky is going on with the weather patters lately, as my travel plans are having to be adapted more often. Thanks for the information OP, Hopefully it will pass without major disruptions and we can all carry on as normal.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
If you have some old sheets or curtains in storage. Lay them down on the steps you have already cleared off. Keep the ends where you can get to them. The next time you need to clear the steps or narrow walkway...grab the end of the material and drag it off to the side to clear the snow. Saves a lot of shoveling if you do it often enough. It's better if you have 2 people to do this job, but one can do it...I have.

Des

This works on cars too! Big old sheet = one clean car.....at least the windows.
edit on 9-2-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I don't get it, people act like this is the first time it snowed in the North East before. I grew up in southwest Michigan and saw 2 feet of snow MANY, MANY times.

The last year I lived there it snowed around 4' on New Years Eve and we were all kinda trapped in our houses until a ton of shoveling was done. I had to crawl out a window to get outside to shovel away from the door so it would open.

It's like we can't remember year to year anymore what normal weather is.

Yeah this is a bad storm but it's not like there has never been a blizzard before in the North country.

edit on 9-2-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Depends what part of Maine you live in. The Portland jetport has recorded over 30 inches overnight but there are signs of clearing just to the west as the front heads off the coast so no more than 3 to 6 more. Still a strong band of snow running from the coastal plane up through Augusta. Good news is the coastal low is headed east out to sea rather than NE up over Nova Scotia so snow should wind down by tonight in the rest of Maine.

Peak snow accumulation so far has been along the SW Connecticut coast where they got 38 inches!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
We have friends and family in Connecticut
Connecticut reporting over three feet of snow came down, and it's still snowing.
Drifts are 7 feet.

That's a lot of snow no matter what part of the world you come from!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

It's not nearly as bad as the blizzard of 78/79 and I grew up in Massachusetts and lived along the beach in Revere. It was horrible but at the same time very exciting...this is not even close to it...snow is deep where their are the snow drifts...my kids are psyched to go out and play and see some some decent snow mounds..

During the blizzard the water in my cellar was pretty much up to the tenth step in the basement and I can remember the water rushing in through the basement door when the door collapsed, it looked like the hull of a ship giving away...went over my aunts house across the street with my family and shortly after evacuated to the highschool for a few days...good times but again at least for this area not as bad as 78...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We have friends and family in Connecticut
Connecticut reporting over three feet of snow came down, and it's still snowing.
Drifts are 7 feet.

That's a lot of snow no matter what part of the world you come from!

what part ? central ? I'm south western and got 2 feet. very little wind thank goodness

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
In the case of power outage:

Another good precaution to take is to fill your bathtub with water (for flushing your toilet) and to also fill up a bunch of jugs with water. If the power goes out, your water will stop running also.

And if you can, get a hold of some big blocks of ice from the store and put them in your fridge and freezer... your food will stay cold for two and three days longer than it would otherwise.

if i was in that situation

i would try to fill my tub with snow and as it melted i would have free water for flushing instead of another 100 or more gallons of metered water on next months water bill

as for going out into the storm to purchase ice...
if i had a fire excape or access to the roof, i would put pots or pans of water to freeze
instead of doing the consumer thing of paying for ice to put in the refrigeratoe/freezer

i live in SC but i still have hooded arctic suits that zip up & also have -20 degree rated sleeping bags on hand
MREs and 4 tanks of propane w/outdoor grill & emergency heater attachment which will allow gas use indoors w/ ventalation

i try to not be so conventional & pop-culturish and consumer driven especially in times of stress, such as a blizzard

<< 1    3  4 >>

join