It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blizzard Alert:Northeast Snowstorm could be among the worst of alltime

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Published on Feb 8, 2013

A crippling and potentially historic winter storm barreled toward the Northeast on Thursday, threatening tens of millions of people with 2 feet of snow. Boston canceled school and braced for one of its worst blizzards of all time.

Stay safe all!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

LOL Oh the Devastation! LOL... I wish we only got 2 feet of snow..from a Canadians perspective, this is very comical! hahahah
YOu call its a snow storm, its called a Winter wonderland here LOL

A Winter Wonderland – Roddickton, Newfoundland & Labrador

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darrylss

Yes but your more prepared to deal with it up there and don't have nearly the amount of infrastructure that can be affected.

Life doesn't really stop if your forest gets blanketed in snow.

For those that are living in the NE take your precautions and stay safe. Buy some extra Hot Chocolate!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrylss

LOL Oh the Devastation! LOL... I wish we only got 2 feet of snow..from a Canadians perspective, this is very comical! hahahah

WOW!!!!

That's quite a picture!

Those in the NE would have no idea how to handle snow like that.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

Well said.

The National Weather Service has warned that travel in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island could become nearly impossible.

If power goes out, banks & ATMs may be offline for some time. Be sure to have cash on hand.

Stay indoors during the storm.
Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
USDA has issued an alert.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 8, 2013—The U.S. Department of Agriculture is issuing recommendations to help minimize the potential for foodborne illnesses in anticipation of a major winter snow storm that could dump multiple inches of snow from southern New England to coastal Maine and leave communities without power for extended periods.

www.fsis.usda.gov...&_Events/NR_020813_01/index.asp

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I wish people would realize, this isnt a bad storm, because its not about us. Since when did the earths weather ever give a hoot about human beings. And why should it? They only make it seem bad, in my opinion, because NE is not that used to weather normally found elsewhere on the planet. Not only that but this entire global warming crap, they said 2012 was the hottest year, then they said it was the coldest year. When are people going to realize the scam that is global warming and see the universe as both emergent and symbiotic? We need to realize, everything affects everything. But our pollution, doesnt really change the weather. One volcano eruption releases more crap into the atmosphere than humans have in our entire existence. The weather is changing because the earth is tilting more. Even if its only.5 degrees, thats a lot in space weather, the sun is changing. Every other planet is changing. But not in america, here we make it happen so we should all put our useless legal tender notes towards the debt repayment, i mean global warming fund.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In the case of power outage:

Another good precaution to take is to fill your bathtub with water (for flushing your toilet) and to also fill up a bunch of jugs with water. If the power goes out, your water will stop running also.

And if you can, get a hold of some big blocks of ice from the store and put them in your fridge and freezer... your food will stay cold for two and three days longer than it would otherwise.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatedobserver

Not true. Only a handful of planets show a warming trend. Most of those have very long orbits, Neptune has not even yet to make a full circuit of the sun since its discovery in 1846. The sun has actually been cooling for the past 50 years.

Ask yourself why you and others have been fed bad info.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Actually we get every kind of weather here. We're very used to snow storms, bad ones... just have barely had any snow to speak of the last few years, but we haven't forgotten how to deal with them. But no, we're not going to ignore the severity of a storm nor are we not going to talk about it, or make it sound all pretty for you because you're paranoid someone's going to say it's because of global warming... funny how you are the first and now that you've gone and done it we're all going to have pay taxes on carbon and Al Gore is going to be President of the world.

FYI the sun has been in a cool cycle and the other planets are not warming, just earth.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Pretty windy here in Rhode island besides the snow. We have been warned to stay off the roads and make sure we have enough food and water for a few days. We had a lot of people from out of town at our grocery store this morning. They say they are not from around here and was asking where certain items were. Our grocery store is always prepared for storms and has plenty of milk and bread and whatever.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Not true. Only a handful of planets show a warming trend. Most of those have very long orbits, Neptune has not even yet to make a full circuit of the sun since its discovery in 1846. The sun has actually been cooling for the past 50 years.
Ask yourself why you and others have been fed bad info.

Well there is also the factor of the Earth's magnetic field and solar winds and weather with base data going back some 5000 years.

The earth's magnetic field impacts climate: Danish study
www.viewzone.com...

The results of the study, which has also been published in US scientific journal Geology, lend support to a controversial theory published a decade ago by Danish astrophysicist Henrik Svensmark, who claimed the climate was highly influenced by galactic cosmic ray (GCR) particles penetrating the earth's atmosphere.

Svensmark's theory, which pitted him against today's mainstream theorists who claim carbon dioxide (CO2) is responsible for global warming, involved a link between the earth's magnetic field and climate, since that field helps regulate the number of GCR particles that reach the earth's atmosphere.

"The only way we can explain the (geomagnetic-climate) connection is through the exact same physical mechanisms that were present in Henrik Svensmark's theory," Knudsen said.

"If changes in the magnetic field, which occur independently of the earth's climate, can be linked to changes in precipitation, then it can only be explained through the magnetic field's blocking of the cosmetic rays," he said.

Climate Change and the Earth's Magnetic Poles, A Possible Connection
Author: Kerton, Adrian K.
Source: Energy & Environment, Volume 20, Numbers 1-2, January 2009 , pp. 75-83(9)
Publisher: Multi-Science Publishing Co Ltd
Abstract:
Many natural mechanisms have been proposed for climate change during the past millennia, however, none of these appears to have accounted for the change in global temperature seen over the second half of the last century. As such the rise in temperature has been attributed to man made mechanisms. Analysis of the movement of the Earth's magnetic poles over the last 105 years demonstrates strong correlations between the position of the north magnetic, and geomagnetic poles, and both northern hemisphere and global temperatures. Although these correlations are surprising, a statistical analysis shows there is a less than one percent chance they are random, but it is not clear how movements of the poles affect climate. Links between changes in the Earth's magnetic field and climate change, have been proposed previously although the exact mechanism is disputed. These include: The Earth's magnetic field affects the energy transfer rates from the solar wind to the Earth's atmosphere which in turn affects the North Atlantic Oscillation. Movement of the poles changes the geographic distribution of galactic and solar cosmic rays, moving them to particularly climate sensitive areas. Changes in distribution of ultraviolet rays resulting from the movement of the magnetic field, may result in increases in the death rates of carbon sinking oceanic plant life such as phytoplankton.

Keywords: MAGNETIC POLES; DRIFT; CLIMATE; COSMIC RAYS
Document Type: Research article
DOI: 10.1260/095830509787689286

This of course would disrupt a massive effort to create a world government via environmentalism and carbon credits. LoL Carbon 12 (6-protons 6- neutrons 6-electrons) hahahahaha.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Debate updates
More recently, Laken et al (2012)[30] found that new high quality satellite data show that the El_Niño–Southern_Oscillation is responsible for most changes in cloud cover at the global and regional levels. They also found that Galactic Cosmic Rays, and total solar irradiance did not have any statistically-significant influence on changes in cloud cover whatsoever.
Lockwood (2012)[31] conducted a thorough review of the scientific literature on the "solar influence" on climate. It was found that when this influence is included appropriately into climate models causal climate change claims such as those made by Svensmark are shown to have been exaggerated. Lockwood's review also highlighted the strength of evidence in favor of the solar influence on regional climates.

wiki

People need to understand that just because a paper is published doesn't mean it is valid or proved. This theory didn't pass peer review.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
As a child I remember five feet of snow in one night in western NY in 66', the drifts went up and over the farm house, folks down the road were cut off for two weeks until 60 feet of snow could be removed from a road cut.

We lived in city in 72' and could walk off second story into snow from porch roof.

My father told stories of snow during WW2 that had the city nearby cut-off from food and coal for weeks until finally factory volunteers and school children shoveled 30 miles of railway clear to get trains moving.

Guess my point is that people either have too short of memory or have not lived long enough to realize that weather is really not that unusual and that this is not storm of the century.

I do feel the hurricane response has been woefully inadequate leaving many unreasonably exposed, big gov fail and coverup on that!

What has changed is the character of society.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Debate updates
More recently, Laken et al (2012)[30] found that new high quality satellite data show that the El_Niño–Southern_Oscillation is responsible for most changes in cloud cover at the global and regional levels. They also found that Galactic Cosmic Rays, and total solar irradiance did not have any statistically-significant influence on changes in cloud cover whatsoever.
Lockwood (2012)[31] conducted a thorough review of the scientific literature on the "solar influence" on climate. It was found that when this influence is included appropriately into climate models causal climate change claims such as those made by Svensmark are shown to have been exaggerated. Lockwood's review also highlighted the strength of evidence in favor of the solar influence on regional climates.

wiki

People need to understand that just because a paper is published doesn't mean it is valid or proved. This theory didn't pass peer review.

Agreed.

But you left out this part:

On 25 August 2011, the first result of the experiment were published . . .The results also show that ionization from cosmic rays significantly enhances aerosol formation.

From Lockwood:

Professor Michael Lockwood
www.met.reading.ac.uk...

(2012) Solar influence on global and regional climates.
centaur.reading.ac.uk...

The best estimates of the solar influence on the global mean air surface temperature show relatively small effects, compared with the response to anthropogenic changes (and broadly in line with their respective radiative forcings). However, the situation is more interesting when one looks at regional and season variations around the global means. In particular, recent research indicates that winters in Eurasia may have some dependence on the Sun, with more cold winters occurring when the solar activity is low. Advances in modelling ‘‘top-down’’ mechanisms, whereby stratospheric changes influence the underlying troposphere, offer promising explanations of the observed phenomena.

www.eiscat.rl.ac.uk...

1 Introduction
Solar electromagnetic radiation powers Earth’s climate system and, consequently, it is
often naı¨vely thought that changes in this solar output must be responsible for changes in
Earth’s climate.

I was talking about the Earth's magnetic field which has been shown weaken and vary dramatically.

This is a nice little graph to demonstrate what I am talking about:

Ice Core temperatures (bottom) compared to inverted or negative magnetic field strength (top) (from Wikipedia).

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My windows are so frosted over I can't see a thing. I hear plows outside. I hope one is the guy downstairs.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Yeah, the wind is really starting to pick up, making me nervous about losing power. But at least this time if it gets knocked out for a few days again, we can just put everything from the freezer outside so it's not all wasted. I remember when Irene passed through, I had to eat like 4 containers of ice cream just so they wouldn't go to waste

edit on 8-2-2013 by greatpiino because: spelling

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Just went to help a little. I have back problems so couldn't do much, but got the stairs and a path going. Now I'm sore as hell. There's a LOT of snow out there.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrylss

It's not just about the depth of snow. Winds are 60-70mph In some areas causing downed trees and power outages and large snow drifts. The coast gets flooding and beach erosion has caused a lot of problems for some. People have died in these conditions.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Just went to help a little. I have back problems so couldn't do much, but got the stairs and a path going. Now I'm sore as hell. There's a LOT of snow out there.

Be careful Sweet Pea. Save your energy and health...it could get worse. If you have some old sheets or curtains in storage. Lay them down on the steps you have already cleared off. Keep the ends where you can get to them. The next time you need to clear the steps or narrow walkway...grab the end of the material and drag it off to the side to clear the snow. Saves a lot of shoveling if you do it often enough. It's better if you have 2 people to do this job, but one can do it...I have.

Des

edit on 8-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join