It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul and Chris Kyle, media and misplaced emotion is detracting from a good message

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Here is a related thread posted a few days ago, about the initial Ron Paul tweet:
Ron Paul Slams Murdered U.S. Sniper Chris Kyle

Paul on twitter wrote:

Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.

We will start with Fox News:
Ron Paul clarifies comments on death of Navy SEAL sniper

Surprisingly there wasn't much heat from Fox like I would expect from them normally. They barely even put an agenda in on the article, neither against Ron Paul nor in any bias vs guns. I did find this interesting though, the last bit of the article explains this:

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been charged with one count of capital murder and two counts of murder in the shooting deaths of Kyle, author of the best-selling book “American Sniper” and his friend Chad Littlefield. All three were at a shooting range in Glen Rose, Texas. Routh is on suicide watch at the Erath County Jail, where he’s being held on $3 million bail.
Kyle, who had four tours in Iraq, was the most lethal sniper in the U.S. He had 160 confirmed kills and received 14 different awards and decorations, including two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals. After leaving the Navy, he wrote his biography, “American Sniper.”

I can't really tell much from this, but knowing Fox and knowing media, it seems as if there is a bit of glamorization of the military, of what least what Kyle did in the military here... Not saying there isn't some impressive element but... it is 160 confirmed deaths, perhaps some of which were illegitimate casualties of war I am not sure....

Then there is this:
This time, Ron Paul has gone too far

What was Rep. Ron Paul thinking? As a combat veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan, I read the news coverage surrounding Paul’s callous and inane comments about the death of a decorated Navy SEAL at the hands of another veteran with utter and complete disbelief.

I knew Chris Kyle. He was a friend and brother of mine.

What was Rep. Paul thinking?

Chris Kyle, a Navy veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan who received no less than seven heroism awards by serving as a sniper in combat saving hundreds of American, Coalition and Iraqi lives, was murdered at a gun range in Texas on Saturday, and Rep. Paul said this via Tweeter on Tuesday:

“Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.”

Implicit in this statement, it seems, is the point that it’s literally OK now to murder our nation’s vets. It would be deserved, just desserts for American combat veterans. What?!

I suppose this logic would also apply to law enforcement officers as well since they take on a similar role within our shores of trying to defend and protect our citizens. With the recent spate of gun violence, Rep. Paul can certainly now be accused of inspiring other mentally unstable people to attack war heroes.

Chris Kyle is a modern, American war hero.

He is credited with more than 150 kills as a sniper in combat serving watch for American and Coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11.

He enlisted and served in the Navy SEALS from 1999 to 2009. Two Silver Star Medals, five Bronze Star Medals with a “V” for valor and heroism later, he gave up war and returned home to be with his wife and two small children in Texas and open a new chapter in his life.

The lives Chris took ensured many other American, European and other allied servicemen and women were able to return home to their families and loved ones. Sniper Chris Kyle was deeply feared by our enemies. He shot enemy snipers poised to kill our troops; he ambushed enemy militants laying in wait to ambush our forces; basically, he took 160 enemy lives and saved multiples on that number in terms of Americans who live today because of his skill and bravery.

Chris Kyle certainly didn’t deserve to die this way, and we can only wonder what demons this other man who shot him was battling. But let’s at the very least wait until the police finish investigating and the facts come out, as they unquestionably will, before jumping to ridiculous conclusions and commenting on what we don’t know, can’t yet understand, and should leave to the authorities to sort out first. Right?

Regardless, Rep. Paul’s tweet was insane and further demonstrates to the rest of the country what seems now obvious: Washington is the problem. Ron Paul is the problem. People going off half-cocked and treating veterans with contempt are the problem.

Chris Kyle is no longer with us. But we — his brothers and sisters in arms — we fellow Americans are very much alive. As recent combat veterans adjust to re-integrate after the war, some of us struggle to make sense of our experiences and newfound realities. But there is one constant.

We live each day for our fellow veterans and are tightly connected by our shared sacrifices. I have witnessed these sacrifices. While Chris Kyle is no longer here to defend himself, we are. And we are happy to ask Rep. Paul: “Sir, have you lost your mind?”

Rep. Paul should retract his ridiculous statement about what befell Chris Kyle and apologize to his memory, his family, his friends and we his brother and sister soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen. Rep. Paul, make this right, and do it today.

Dakota Meyer is a decorated U.S. Marine veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, and a recipient of the nation’s highest heroism award, the Medal of Honor.

This is an obvious Ron Paul bash, but really I think that is just a reel in on emotions. People at this point either like or dislike Ron Paul with not much neutral ground in between. Unfortunately, the latter is the popular and people wanting a place to belong confirms the attraction to this Ron Paul bashing... But the undertone that I don't think is analyzed enough is again this glamorization of this military... hate to say it... puppet.

And to be clear, this is a blatant distortion of what I think Ron Paul's message is. Ron Paul promotes safety and proper treatment of illnesses and such... Sure anyone with a connection to the loss of a loved one is more likely to take a quote such as that as offensive but I think full-heartadly that Ron Paul blames this type of death on the military itself in misconduct, not necessarily the people working for it.

Anyway, I think this is an interesting talking point. Sure more media manipulation and blah blah blah but beyond that, is Ron Paul really out of line? Is it a problem that he thinks people with ptsd shouldn't be using guns anymore? Really I see no problem with it. It seems perfectly sensible. I think this type of media bull-crap is just feeding us with more subliminal propaganda nonsense... Even the liberals can't seem to agree with Paul on this one and I honestly cannot see why.

Another good article to read about this is found here:
Ron Paul and Chris Kyle: The cost of the truth

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
WOO HOO!!!
Dr. Paul finally got some presstime!!
3rd line

(Edit)
To further clarify and stay squarely on topic, this was my first thought when I heard about the shooting.
Dr.Paul disagrees with illegal wars and even made the comparison "what if Chinese soldiers were on US soil killing Americans"?
I happen to agree with him on all of these points.
We know why US soldiers are having an epidemic with PTSD, they are quickly realizing that we are EMPIRE and not the freedom fighters, we are the oppressors.
Our soldiers are carrying out illegal wars "because they were told to do it".
Ten more years maximum and we are the next Germany, we already have the first stages happening.
Pretty soon the world will bring war to US soil, then what?
edit on 7-2-2013 by g146541 because: Deutschland

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I've disliked Paul ever since he voted against the Amber Alert bill but I cannot really say his comments were out of line here.

I do consider it in bad taste to make any sort of comments that have a negative tone about the recently deceased out of respect for those grieving however.

He should of just remained quiet on the issue out of respect.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Agreed about the 'military puppet' comment (and the rest).

It's high time that the brainwashed flag wavers realize they are not in the military over there 'saving us from terrorists and keeping us free', they are invaders in a country that has done nothing to us, and just wants us gone. We have interfered with Iraq's chosen government since the 50s, all thanks to the CIA and other US criminal behaviors.

As I have pointed out in numerous locations now, there would be no need for snipers targeting what he called 'savages' if our troops weren't over there in the first place. Why is this so hard to understand?

And where did Kyle get off calling himself a Christian? What part of 'thou shalt not kill' gets a backseat to going halfway around the world and naming yourself judge, jury and executioner?

The US government is real great at giving their puppets medals and honors. Not so good at helping them when they come home seriously scarred, though.

Edit to add that Kyle told me everything I needed to know about him when he lied through his teeth about the Ventura non-incident. It's become increasingly clear that he never cold-cocked JV, and that he was a braggart trying to drum up interest in his book. There was something exceedingly wrong about him, as if telling the truth about what he did was impossible for him to face.
edit on 7-2-2013 by signalfire because: as above.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Press time yes! Better late than never though?...

Sigh

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

I see what you are saying, and though it is true... I mean it was his twitter account and what else besides communicating is twitter for? His job as a politician, in my opinion I suppose, is to express his ideas about politics. There is such thing as timing, that is fore sure, but I still think a lot of people simply refuse to see "good things" and reject "bad things" the truth at any time is appropriate in the realm of politics... Misusing truth and distorting truth no, but in this case I think it was more than appropriate...

Haha does that make me callous?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Oh yeah that is right!!! Man I knew there was more to this, his name was far too familiar..

That group of people were the ones trying to get Jesse in trouble not too long back right? Who knows but reminding me of that incident with a future presidential candidate makes me think that this is right where the media wants it to be right now... Maybe Fox has its ideas about this story for the future haha.

Thanks for reminding me, that makes this even more interesting

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Ron Paul has judged this mans soul, and in this has judged himself. Kyle has sacrificed more for our country than Ron could understand when making that comment. His anti-war agenda is taking it way too far.

If it were up to Ron Paul, we would just lay down and let evil consume the world. People forget that we are indeed the leaders of the free world, and responsible for the weak who would fight for freedom.

He wrote: "As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend's violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle’s family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies. -REP"

Christ taught us to DO UNTO OTHERS as we would have others do unto us. If I were an oppressed nation fighting for freedom...... and there was some global superpower that could help.....

Christ did preach non-violence yes. That means you have to sometimes kill violent people.....getting the idea yet? Did Christ say "put the sword back in it's place" or did Christ say "throw the sword away." He even told us to buy weapons.

Why can't we get a decent candidate. Ron Paul was right about some things, and dead wrong about many others. It's like f*ck it don't even vote. Until we get a decent candidate PROTEST THE VOTE!

Ron Paul wasn't a good candidate, not any better than the others. Just different. We need a decent candidate f*ck just 1 time plz.

"I'm left" "I'm right" blah blah blah gtf in the middle where the truth is.
edit on 14-2-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

You are taking individual quotes from the bible out of context. Scripture must be read in it's entirety.

Did the first part of the Gospel teach you anything? What does Satan LOVE to do with scripture? Exactly what Ron Paul has done here. Taken it out of context to suit his agenda. Past that judge not.
edit on 14-2-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

And no it is not sensible to take the gun rights away from those with PTSD. I have never seen so much ignorance in one thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

Wow, where to start.

You are wrong? That's a good place to start. I don't care what your belief system is, what you said is incorrect. You have a lot of blind anger about this, and I cannot honestly make sense of it.

Where does it say in the bible that you should disregard turning the other cheek? If you want to go a biblical route, then where does it ever make murder ok? I am not saying I don't support the troops but I sure AS HELL do not support those who control the troops. We are fighting senseless wars and WE are doing far more harm than any "Christian goodness" that you may think.

I would love to deconstruct everything you said, but I cannot simply get past the fact that people like you actually exist, who think it is not only politically good to be involved beyond our own borders, but that it is some Christian thing... Tell me where your logic has an ounce of sense

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

I guarantee you have seen that much ignorance in one thread because you contributed to one to make it ignorant.

One simple question before I even rebuttal with how I think you are wrong. What causes PTSD?

new topics

top topics

join