It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly Half of All US Farms Now Have Superweeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.motherjones.com...&action=collapse_widget&id=7869731

• Nearly half (49 percent) of all US farmers surveyed said they have glyphosate-resistant weeds on their farm in 2012, up from 34 percent of farmers in 2011. • Resistance is still worst in the South. For example, 92 percent of growers in Georgia said they have glyphosate-resistant weeds. • But the mid-South and Midwest states are catching up. From 2011 to 2012 the acres with resistance almost doubled in Nebraska, Iowa, and Indiana. • It's spreading at a faster pace each year: Total resistant acres increased by 25 percent in 2011 and 51 percent in 2012. • And the problem is getting more complicated. More and more farms have at least two resistant species on their farm. In 2010 that was just 12 percent of farms, but two short years later 27 percent had more than one.

So where do farmers go from here? Don't worry, Monsatano has a whole host of new killers to sell to you.

Does this remind anyone of the last episode of the T.V. show Dinosaurs?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Monsanto will save us all! To make Soylent Green.................................

It is not just the weeds that have become Roundup tolerant. There are a couple of species of Boll Weevils that are becoming immune to pesticides as well. These types of weevils decimated crops and wracked destruction on grain supplies around the world.

Keep using the same strains of antibiotics to treat a flu and the flu simply changes it shape (simple terms). Evolution is the winner on all fronts. Bug, weeds, virus all evolve. Humans are a bit slow.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I have seen something about this, the same problems happened in south america and they had to use more pesticides that are banned in most countries and they ruined the soils and nothing grows there

link   
I can believe this, There are some weeds in my yard that I can hit with a weed killer, only for weeds to pop up a week later. And I use a potent weed Killer.

I think we have really messed up. the planet had all the dials set correctly, and its like we let some kid turn all the knobs and dials without thinking about the consequences. We are really going to learn the very hard way, if we are here to learn at all.

link   
Superweeds? I thought we weren't supposed to talk about controlled substances here

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Monsanto will save us all! To make Soylent Green.................................

It is not just the weeds that have become Roundup tolerant. There are a couple of species of Boll Weevils that are becoming immune to pesticides as well. These types of weevils decimated crops and wracked destruction on grain supplies around the world.

Keep using the same strains of antibiotics to treat a flu and the flu simply changes it shape (simple terms). Evolution is the winner on all fronts. Bug, weeds, virus all evolve. Humans are a bit slow.

It's soylent bean.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's not just the weeds.

The CROPS are presenting problems as well. The left over stalks are so strong that farmers have had to outfit their tractors with Kevlar tires just to prevent them from popping

It's all perfectly healthy... i'm sure.....

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
okay all you Abba fans sing....money money, money, it's so funny...it's a rich monsatano world

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

As a kid back in the sixties, my Dad sent us to live with his parents on a farm while he was deployed. We lierally walked the rows and picked weeds from the ground. (GrandPa & GrandMa were ahead of their time apparently)

We never had a problem. Every crop was profitable, yet small. Nowadays, they are trying to do more with science and less manpower.

There are repercussions.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Maybe that's what will happen to all of us when the economy crashes, the gov will give us jobs hand picking super weeds.

top topics

join