It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-year-old S.C. boy killed after mistaking pink handgun for toy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by danneu89
reply to post by Kentucky75

Where's the stats showing that most gun owners just sell their guns to "whoever"?

You dont need stats..it's called local people sell guns to who ever they want.
Heck far i can show you a local facebook group i am in with people selling handguns ar15's and what not..who ever has the cash buy em.
that's how it works.
If you came to my house and said i wanna buy a pink handgun..in 20 min or less we could drive to the hang out spot all the old people hang out at..10 min later you own a handgun...rifles shotguns you name it.
For pete sake around here we openly sell guns of all kinds at our local fleamarket too.

So you are saying that is a shock to you?
it shocks you sally mae who buys a hot pink gun at age 21 sells it 2 year's down the road to first person who offer's her her money back?

I am just unclear on how so many people find it a shock people trade and sell guns like baseball card's ..
ive been raised around it my whole life.jim bob needs a shotgun..no money but has a perty handgun to trade for one.he heads out to do some trading..

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Biomac is putting some designs through trial, first for police and military then for us civies.Im sure it would be great for some folks, Im not putting any electronics in my guns though. If I had an intruder, I'd let my dogs maul him. if he was still alive and a threat then I'd shoot him, we're allowed to do that where I live.

edit. Biomac is trying to implement fingerprints and biometric characteristics they just haven't gotten it foolproof yet
edit on 5-2-2013 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Well, you do need stats to back up what you claimed. You claimed that a majority of gun owners have no problem selling or trading a gun to just anybody, no matter how shady or dishonest that person seems. I would state that that is a very strong minority of gun owners. With no stats to back up your claim, it is just an opinion, and one that I disagree with. I know plenty of people that would have a problem just selling any of their guns to some vagrant on the street with a crazy look in their eyes.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

It being foolproof is the most important part of this system for it to ever catch on. If this mechanism had only 0.5% chance of failing, I would not risk having one on my personal defense firearm. Murphy's Law is a mean son of a *****.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by Kentucky75
reply to post by Golf66

You say ....

Unless we are going to outlaw stupid parents there is nothing that will prevent this scenario

exactly my point..we cant stop stupidity.
So why help the stupid people by being even more stupid and pig headed by making guns kids would be more likely to grab?
that is my argument...cause on this me and others could argue till i am blue in the face...pink and color painted guns DRAW a child to them...children will find a handgun or any gun i get that.....but why draw a picture on it begging a kid to grab me GRAB ME.
If you dont got a child you will never understand my point...they are drawn to bright color's like moth to a flame.
hence why toy's are not gun metal in color 99% of the time... they are bright color to pop out and demand buy me pick me up..and in gun's case's shoot me.

Tell me if you was a kid you wouldn't grab that gun in that picture..if can say with 100% conviction if you was 7 year's old and found that gun and bullets painted up in a field ect...you wouldn't grab it..if so i call BS!!!

edit on 5-2-2013 by Kentucky75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by danneu89

Im not putting any electronic garbage on my guns. In some respects I'm too traditional I don't even like laser sights

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If you can't watch you children.

Don't-Have Them!!!

The child even at three should know not to touch items that do not belong to him.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Don't-Have Them!!!

The child even at three should know not to touch items that do not belong to him.

You can always tell a person who doesn't have kids..
Kids dart on you in less than 30 seconds and go to what ever draw's there eye.
Kid's are sneaky and are drawn to bright color's EVERYONE knows this.
There is a reason all little children toy's are bright color's....they did a lot of research to prove children love it!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Yes kids go for the bright fun looking things, the same goes for cigarette ads that have cartoons chars in them... These were banned from being shown. This does not apply to guns since Gun mfr's are not advertising gearing to kids.

These guns are the property of an individual that was careless with his / her pink gun. They should be prosecuted under whatever charges apply pertaining to this particular case. New laws should not be created to prevent this from happening, since all the laws already exist to 'keep us safe'.

It's going to really turn into a hyper nanny state if it isn't already.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
...What sort of game was he playing? Self-Hostage? Suicide?...I mean seriously how does one shoot themselves if not intentionally...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Who on earth would buy a pink gun and have it in a home where children are?

I can guess what type of woman would have a pink gun. One who has a bad day when her fake fingernail breaks.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Children shoot themselves often when playing with guns.
That shouldn't even be a real sentence.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Besides the color of the gun I don't see the relevance. It's stupid for sure, but I don't think it makes her unqualified completely. Not that she is making any gun laws as you propose.

That's one thing about guns with laser pointers sometimes when people first buy them they focus on the pointer and forget everything they sweep it across has a barrel on it.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That gun is awesome, but those bullets would jam it up.

Just sayin'.

Seriously though I want that Bersa.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kentucky75Kids dart on you in less than 30 seconds and go to what ever draw's there eye.

If a dog can be trained to heel and stay so can a child.

Todays parents will blame everyone but themselves.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Pink guns, as well as other colors, are mainly there to market guns to women. The color of the gun doesn't make it any less dangerous. This gun was obviously not locked up or put out of reach from this child as it should have been, and that is the parent's fault, not the inanimate object's fault. I have three children, my oldest being 3, and I also own several guns. Most of them are locked up in a large safe, and the one or two that aren't are put way up high on a bookshelf or somewhere similar, far out of sight and reach of my kids. When older kids, like my niece, come over I lock all of my guns up in the safe. There will NEVER be a gun related accident at my house because I am a responsible gun owner, just like the vast majority of other gun owners. The few that aren't are what gives the rest of us a bad name.
edit on 6-2-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Hmmm...

A Glock 22 painted in a Barbie or My Little Pony or Marvel comics theme... what a great marketing strategy...

Freeze ***hole, or I'll blast your brains out with my Green Lantern special edition !

that's my argument here
www.ar15.com...&page=3
Look hello kitty ar 15's..those don't just beg a little kid to grab em huh

edit on 5-2-2013 by Kentucky75 because: (no reason given)

Interesting.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Sad story.

I also have wondered about the pink gun phenomenon. But they are out there in greater numbers because the manufacturers are catering to female clients. Even the aftermarket accessories or stocks and grips can be had in pink. If that does not float your boat their is Dura Coat paint in any color.

The bottom line for any gun owner with children in the house is to securely lock it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A solid quick access pistol vault can be had for under $150. No excuse for this gun getting into the hands of a 3 year old.

The gun owner now has to live with this for the rest of their life.

Women with a gun... NO BUENO
"women driver equals no survivor"
I think this can somehow apply to guns.

Why would a woman need a handgun when they are suppose to be in the kitchen?
Is the frying pan talking $hit again?

Jeez my apologies. A tragic even though.
A STUPID BS MISTAKE ON THE GUN OWNERS PART.
Seems people don't pay much attention to thier children anymore now in days....
Just as long as the children are out of the parents hair for a bit, they could care less.

Plus why would a "strap" just be sitting out somewhere and LOADED at that?
effin IDIOTAS
edit on 6-2-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Don't-Have Them!!!

You can always tell a person who doesn't have kids..
Kids dart on you in less than 30 seconds and go to what ever draw's there eye.
Kid's are sneaky and are drawn to bright color's EVERYONE knows this.
There is a reason all little children toy's are bright color's....they did a lot of research to prove children love it!!!

However, one should not leave a loaded firearm unatended in reach of a child. It has not as much to do with guns or the color of the guns but of simple negligence. Kids die every day because adaults leave their meds within reach and pills look like candy to them. Kids that age drown in swimming pools and 5 gallon buckets. Kids that age fall off balconies and through windows. You can't eliminate risk entirely but a few simple things like not leaving your loaded guns or medications out within reach could go a long way.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Its not the guns fault its the people who left the gun in his reach.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join