It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Might Be Disturbing Your Sleep Could Be Right in Front of Your Face

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hey there ATSers

I discovered something fairly interesting these last few nights on accident and would like to tell you all about it

So, for the last 8 months to maybe even a year or so now I have been confused as to why I was no longer having dreams when I go to sleep at night. No dreams, not a one, well, that I could remember at least. I thought, hmm, well maybe I'm just going through a phase, maybe it's not so odd, I heard of other people who don't dream very much when they used to in the past, maybe my lifestyle and daily life had perhaps changed somehow from a year or so ago and that could be attributing to this?
I remember having dreams almost every night years ago, or even so much as maybe a year and half ago I was dreaming pretty regularly every night. I enjoy dreams, I look forward to going to sleep so I can have them.
So, I thought about it some more and decided that I would try some methods out to see if I could get them back. I looked online for ways to promote dreaming. I started listening to binanural beats while laying down to rest in bed at night. I tried all different Hz and frequencies and still, nothing happened and I still was not getting my dreams.

I starting trying visual meditation, focusing on a beautiful scenery while I lied in bed at night before I fell asleep and imagining myself there. Nope...still no dreams...

I tried taking some natural sleep aid "melatonin", I didn't hear anything about it promoting dreams really but I thought hey why not I'll give that a shot too. Took some melatonin and still the dreaming did not ensue.

So, finally, Saturday night 2/4/13, I just happened to decide that I had enough of my laptop, and I decided to completely shut it down (power off) and I even unplugged the power chord from it.

My laptop ---which conveniently and distractingly is always on at all times (I never shut it down until Saturday night) and is always kept on stand, again, conveniently and distractingly, "right next to my face", next to my bed whille I sleep every night...

As you can guess, that night when I went to bed, I had a dream, for the first time in what seemed like forever. I woke up and remembered the entire dream. It wasn't anything extraordinary but it was still a dream and I still remembered it when I woke up the next morning. Needless to say I was pretty amazed... and happy.

I knew right away that shutting the laptop down is what caused me to dream. I mean, how could it not be the reason?

So, last night, I decided to to shut my laptop off again right before falling asleep. And just for the sake of it I unplugged the power chord again like I did the night before. What do you know? That's right, another dream happened.

Tonight I will also shut my laptop down and unplug it. If I have another dream I will be almost convinced that my computer was the cause of stopping my dreams for these many months. I am almost certain now that the reason I wasn't dreaming was because of the eletromagnetic frequencies and waves emitted from the computer. I believe they were literally the direct cause.

So what I'll do now obviously, is shut it down again tonight. If a dream happens, that will be fantastic, but then what I'm going to do to test this theory after perhaps a few more nights of shutting the computer down, is I will then start leaving the computer on again while I sleep for just a few more nights, if my dreams stop happening again after I do this, I should have proof. This should tell me for sure whether or not the EMFs from the laptop are indeed attributing to my sleeping patterns and taking my dreams from me.

I already knew that my laptop is often a distraction when it comes to getting to sleep at night. I have also known that it probably isn't good for me to keep it running next to my face all the time because it does radiate EMFs, like microwaves and pretty much anything else that is ran by electricity and that isn't good for you, even though we are all exposed to them every day, it's probably not a good idea to add to the problem if you can help it... but I really didn't know specifically that it was the main reason I wasn't having dreams anymore.

I thought this was all very interesting. I didn't even shut the laptop down in the first place as an experiment to see if I would dream, I was just sick of looking at the screen that night haha. It's pretty nice when you find things out on accident sometimes, because this was just the answer I was looking for.

Have a nice night and sleep tight,

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The laptop can have an electromagnetic field, so can an alarm clock that has a transformer in it to change the voltage. You may be on to something there. I know that the tiny light that the phone has on it bothers me some nights but I never thought of the transformer that powers the cordless phone. I will have to do some experiments now. We have surrounded ourselves with electromagnetic fields. It's no wonder why some people are getting sleep apnea and other problems. We make longterm memories in our sleep and also do a lot of our healing. That is well known.

Good catch, maybe others can benefit from your insight. S&F

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Also don't forget the game systems, could possibly have something to do. I usually leave everything on like my PS3 and laptop I just simply close to put it in sleep modes. Some nights I can actually still get some pretty good sleep and dreams; but most days I'm always going to work and...yeah sleep isn't my ally most days so I can't really confirm or deny it since most days I barely get five hours of sleep anyway
. Maybe I'll try it with my days off and see what happens but I just hate how long it takes for my laptop to turn on..

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

I just wear a tinfoil night cap and it seems to do the trick , lol just kidding

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I leave my laptop on all night, a mere 3 feet away, and i have dreams all of the time. I also play video games. Still dreaming.

So i am going to go with " no." on both.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I used to sleep with my big ben and little ben clocks next to my head. They set my geiger counter a ticking from a couple feet away. I'm completely abnormal just like everyone else in this country.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I've often wondered that myself about EMF (electromagnetic frequencies) I have also noticed I now seem to 90% less dreams myself. I often think of such things to be the cause. Cell towers,high tension power lines, computers and alarm clocks.
I have herd a rumor in the past and currently have no time to research it but apparently an alarm clock emits as much or more electromagnetic radiation as a CRT (cathode ray tube ) TV.

A video comes to mind. I will post it.

edit on 4-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by letseeit7

Hahaha!
If that's what works for ya

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I often wonder about these escalating frequency G networks. And the rampant use of cell phones being the cause of my recent lack of dreams (recent 10-15 years.).

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Maybe I really do need a tin foil hat after all. ( Tin foil hat IE Faraday cage )

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

It's funny you posted that video because I watched that just a few nights ago for the first time. Pretty interesting stuff. I wonder if I'll have even better dreams if I unplug my alarm clock and shut my tv off too before I go to bed. Eh... but that might be pushing it...

Thanks for contributing

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I know that if anything is left on I simply cannot sleep. It's almost as if I can feel the electricity buzzing through me, and when I power everything off, it's like my body feels the silence.

Some nights it's so intense it causes physical stimulus that forces me to go and hunt down whatever is on... like I can hear a droning electrical buzz. ha.. weird.

but as soon as I do that the insects will chirp up and then it's back to ear plugs and insomnia...

I'd do anything just to have a quiet nights sleep... I know for a fact the amount of electrical energy around me causes me no good.

we are, after all, aware of our conscious due to the electrical and chemical reactions in our brains.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Also something to note is that light, even as dim as an alarm clock, can
interfere with REM sleep, i read an article ages ago about it and ever
since i have slept with a mask, it really helps allot.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

And your cordless phone.
I am moving to an area where the cell phone signal is very weak I am interested in the changes that may take place.
My future intention is to meditate with the main house circuit breaker off and see how that goes. Normally when there is a power outage some people remark about the feelings of peace of mind.
its an experiment I am willing to explore.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

The pineal gland and its ability to produce melatonin plays a big role in sleep habits.
And often what I find helps is a mantra to help me sleep, It shuts my mind of by boring it to sleep instead of racing about critical things in my life.
Oh and S&f to the good thread host OP

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I don't know if this only works for you, but I do dream while asleep, after facing the laptop for 2-3 hours straight.

I think it's the level of awareness, one tends to have while they go of to sleep. Even after sleep the brain is actively processing data.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace
edit on 4-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Most 'normal' people (whatever that means) prefer to sleep in silence. It's obviously the healthiest thing to do.
But I cannot get to sleep unless something is on. I usually keep a llamp on and and tv as well as my laptop while I sleep. And if not all 3 I at least will keep the tv on even if the volume is on 1 just so I can hear "something" to help me get to sleep. I've tried sleeping in complete silence before and I find it unsettling and instead of relaxing the complete opposite happens and I start getting unnerved, anxious even and have to turn something on.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
I don't know if this only works for you, but I do dream while asleep, after facing the laptop for 2-3 hours straight.

Peace

Just want to know is this before bed or in bed Is the lap top near or far Plugged in or not . Could you please elaborate I'm intrigued

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Perhaps you may have conditioned yourself this way, that you could only fall asleep with something to aid you. Just saying.

I like sleep when I am really needing it, I think this is that part where they say "sleeping like a log"..hehe

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Usually before I get to bed, usually catch up on work or watch a video before I dose off. I get to dream well, not all the time. I do realize that when, just before a dose of, and like pondering things in my mind I end up having a dream.

I would agree, that when turning the lights on while in bed surely distracts me from a good sleep, including the laptop being on as well.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join