It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

My God would not encourage me to order people who made my blunders known be fired.

But your god would sanction the deaths of thousands of newborns, flood an entire planet instead of getting it right the first time, and even order you to kill your own child to prove your faith? I fail to see your point.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I don't know what you're talking about. My god is me!! That little voice inside of me that nudges me to do the right things...I don't think we have ever killed babies?? What are you talking about?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Considering the subject matter of this thread, you may want to be a little more specific about that next time.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Wait a minute, are you American?

Yes it is upsetting that she would write what she wrote on that paper. It's like she was saying because she is the pastor of the church she can bend the rules.

The God that steers my heart and thoughts wouldn't agree with me attaching his name to my greedy attempt to opt out of a financial agreement after service has been rendered.

My God would not encourage me to order people who made my blunders known be fired.
edit on 4-2-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

She got what she asked for. You don't go around whining about things like this in public.

She deserved to be fired. She put the pastor on front street without her consent.

YES the server who posted the picture deserved to be fired without a doubt!!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I don't know what you're talking about. My god is me!! That little voice inside of me that nudges me to do the right things...I don't think we have ever killed babies?? What are you talking about?

This is sort of like the word "gratuity". Don't invoke God if he is not whom you're referring to.

The "traditional" God had many tortured and murdered in his name.

Now it's a history lesson. Oh dear.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Considering the subject matter of this thread, you may want to be a little more specific about that next time.

Yea thanks. Considering this is not in the religion section you may want to got there if you want to blast people for their beliefs, wrong or right!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Yea thanks. Considering this is not in the religion section you may want to got there if you want to blast people for their beliefs, wrong or right!

You've been quick enough to judge the pastor. Think about that.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

This is sort of like the word "gratuity". Don't invoke God if he is not whom you're referring to.

The "traditional" God had many tortured and murdered in his name.

Now it's a history lesson. Oh dear.

Right call it God, Deity, Allah, or me....like it or not it's all the same thing, you just perceive it differently.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Let me make myself clearer. This thread concerns the behavior of a pastor. This pastor, a representative of "God"s will and teachings, completely rejected all of said teachings with her little note on the receipt. I shouldn't have to list all of the reasons Jesus would have slapped her. And then you talk about how "God" wouldn't have condoned it or asked anyone else to do any of the things the pastor did. I was simply point out, in correlation with the religion concerned by the ACTUAL TOPIC, that "God" asked for a lot of pretty brutal things to be done. In spite of your attitude concerning the pastor's behavior, this was the spiritual equivalent of jaywalking considering what "God" has done. I think that, ironically, "God" should be the last person to have anything to say about this. And with that in mind, I was simply saying that your post didn't bear much weight. Considering the nature of the ACTUAL TOPIC, any god that isn't the Christian god is beside the point. I made that assumption, and I apologize for it. But again, I advise that you clarify that detail next time.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Not everyone follows the same God. I guess some Gods are about receiving tips and not giving them.
Anyway if you want to make this a religion issue someone has beat you to it and started a thread on this topic already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think this thread is more about hypocrisy, stealing, and overall bad form.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yes fair enough.

But if you didn't notice i was trying to stick up for you and your right to believe what you want...he was trashing your religion and what you think god is.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The amount of the tip should be based on the level of service you get. I do not think that it is right for a business to mandate a certain percentage for your tip.

Also, there have been many posts about the whole 10% tithe topic and some assumptions about how that money is spent. I have two different pastors in my family and I know that in most cases, the pastor does not get all of that money themselves. Some pastors get a set salary and some get a percentage. They do pay a tithe on the money that they get, but most put that in the general fund so that it does not come back to them. Also, keep in mind that the church has to pay a power bill, water bill, and other bills as well.

There is no excuse for the comment that this person made.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The other member and i were having a discussion in this thread, i don't know if you read the couple pages before the post, but if you read my posts in thread, you will see where I stand.

Thanks for the apology.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yes fair enough.

But if you didn't notice i was trying to stick up for you and your right to believe what you want...he was trashing your religion and what you think god is.

I don't affiliate myself with any religion and my concept of a higher power is very contemporary, so it is virtually impossible to offend me with religious comments.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

Are you referring to me? I have made no disparaging comments about this pastor or religion.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

honestly I have stopped being a practicing Catholic some time ago. I do how ever go to Latin mass when I am in town with a friend of mine as per our tradition.

I usually give to the little hand out basket they pass along, the one they sometimes pass around twice during mass. As a sign of respect I usually give if I attend another service from another denomination.

I am going to reconsider that practice seeing how people appreciate my tip money. I mean most churches have gold everywhere and more land than any single entity on earth....so, maybe they have enough. I mean I paid for my sacraments. Why should they get paid twice?

Hell, I may never buy another church magazine or other BS they sell for revenue considering how much they already get. Yup, not one more donation. I dont care if the local church just got hit with a hurricane or an earthquake or the roof is leaking. Nope. They dont DESERVE more. They knew full well that being a charitable organization may have its hard times. They knew that full well. They should have planned ahead.

next time I see a nice group of people trying to chat me up about their take on the good book, I may be rude as they are in fact soliciting for future funds.

damn good idea some people have here.....Christians dont help each other out when it comes to cold hard cash. That is different.

edit on 4-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It kind of sounds like this pastor is upset that she has to give to the church even though her money comes from the church. It certainly is pretty self-righteous either way. El cheapo, greedy, thief is just a few things that come to mind with what she pulled.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
It kind of sounds like this pastor is upset that she has to give to the church even though her money comes from the church. It certainly is pretty self-righteous either way. El cheapo, greedy, thief is just a few things that come to mind with what she pulled.

I don't know what you do for a living but I wouldn't suggest psychology.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I am not religious but I have a philosophy but I once worked with a stained glass master we did a lot of hard rock cafes and houses. We hated working for churches because they were so cheap if you didn’t get the money up front they would try to stiff you and play it off as you are working for god. I have never seen such a greedy organization before.

The guy I worked with was a master one of the top 5 in the world and these churches didn’t even want to pay cast on the materials. It got to the point with them that if it wasn’t 80% up front we wouldn’t work with them at all. I am talking about actual hand stained glass with 8 or 9 firings in the kiln for each piece.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

yeah my friend I go to Latin mass with when I am in town was an apprentice for a pipe organ builder. One of the oldest in NY.

Same story. They ended driving the guy out of business. The "work for god" doesnt pay for supplies.

It is a shame too. The guy was an apprentice for some old school German builder. He was a real talent and it would be nice to have someone around like that for restorations. They cant rebuild some of the older pipe organs now in NY. They install digital crap as they old ones fail. The difference is huge I am told.

The Novus Ordo generation of priests were /are real scum bags. They were the generation to do all the controversial things we know the church for now.

The older ones that sadly are all gone now were not like that. It is the new age philosophy that made them act in less than honorable ways. Pastors are yet another end result. Why we need 1000 different types of "Christians" is beyond me. What was Catholic and protestant is now a million carnival shows of anything goes.

There may be exceptions, but most are scum bags. This woman from the OP, case in point.

edit on 4-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join