It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain calls Argentina's Bluff on Falkland talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Seems like the Argies aren't willing to talk however.

www.bbc.co.uk...

According to this the Foreign Office has offered talks with the Argentine Foreign Minister when he visits London next week, but because representitives of the Falkland Islands government were to be there he turned them down as "The international community does not recognise a third party in this dispute." Ahem, if somebody who comes from the islands is a 'third party' then why have talks in the first place? It's their home!
edit on 1-2-2013 by jayman0111 because: bad spelling

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I don't understand how he could refer to the Falkland Islanders as a 3rd party. They are the 1st party FFS.

edit on 1-2-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My thoughts too. It seems like the Argies don't want to hear anything except 'we're turning the islands over to you', despite the fact that the people living there don't want to be Argentinian!

I can't find the quote atm, but I read somewhere that the Argies would 'leave the people alone to run their own business'. Yea, right. Until the Argies start deporting their poor to the islands to get them out of the cities.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Nope, can't find that quote. It must've been in a tv interview.

Anyway, the words 'be careful what you wish for' comes to mind in relation to the talks.

In a slightly related topic of who owns what, Sein Fein want a border poll over here to see how we think about becoming part of the south of Ireland. The DUPs Arlene Philips used those words when she said she was considering calling one, because at present the majority want to remain part of the UK.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jayman0111

The Irish issue is a seperate debate but as you have mentioned it, I have heard more than a few Irishman say that Ireland leaving the UK now appears to have been a mistake. Might just be because of their economy but, still, like you say, be careful what you wish for.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Don't want to get into that either, but a few years ago when the 'Celtic Tiger' was on the go even some unionists here considered becoming part of the south. With the Irish economy going south (sorry! couldn't resist it!) that's al changed.

Back to the topic though. I can't understand it when a small island, which has it's own governing body, can't be involved in talks about it's future.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Looks like the Brits are as reluctant to relnquish their islands as the Americans are to relenquish their guns hey?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Not at all, the British Gogvernment has left it in the hands of the Islanders to decide, hence the referendum in March.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
As if it was not clear enough before, now we can be pretty certain that the Argentine prattle of recent times about taking back the Falklands, is just that. Empty prattle. Even if they are serious about the idea, the fact is that they cannot possibly justify thier position, without connecting with the Falkland Islanders themselves.

Of course, it may possibly be the case, that the Argentine preference, would be that the current population of the Islands simply bugger off to Britain, since they like being British so much, but if they think theres any serious chance of that happening, then they have been smoking something crazy.

Fact: A solution to this diplomatic dispute that does not include and respect the people living on the Islands does not exist, and cannot exist.

Fact: The Argentine government has proven itself incapable of performing diplomatically, by refusing to come to talks, and recognise the Islanders as a party which must be a part of any such talks.

Fact: There can be no end to this nonsense, unless the Argentine government learn that dealing with thier interal politics and the matters that actually have a real effect on thier people. The Falklands and thier ownership are not important in that regard.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Looks as if the Argentinean policy is pretty much “sod the population”, in much the same way as their forefathers colonised the land they now call theirs, including the Patagonian genocide.

Just a few quotes from the Argentinean Foreign Minister (Hector Timerman) from his recent visit.

"The Falklands islanders do not exist. What exists is British citizens who live in the Islas Malvinas”.

On when the Falkland Islands will be Argentinean.

“I don’t think it will take another 20 years”.

One wonders why the Falkland Islanders don’t want to be part of Argentina! Seems like Argentine politicians cannot shake off their junta, native crushing, Nazi past. They need to chill out and start being nice to the people they want to rule over.

Regards

new topics

top topics

join