It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Child threatened on bus today (Gun Violence)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Where do you figure I went wrong? Kids are minors, and treated as such, except when they are charged as adults for crimes. They get to be punished as adults, but are not allowed to have the freedom as adults.

When I was a kid, friendly the officer had some leeway. He could scare the crap out of a kid doing wrong, then turn them over to the parents. It's not that way these days. Why do you think a lot of country towns are getting rid of police altogether? Because it is in the town's best interest, not to have police running around harrassing and arresting their kids for the crime of being young. Yes, in places there are not enough minorities to profile, the young get the harassment. And even town boards have kids, eventually it gets tossed out. The town I was in as a kid, it was the kids who brought it to town hall and got the police force dismantled.
edit on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:13:22 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Who is talking about arresting the kid? I am talking about a possible mental evaluation. Key word is possible. He might not need it. He most likely was just joking around. But you still have to investigate.

I can just see the headlines now. "Kid shoots up school cops do nothing." Or "Jack booted thugs interrogate child for joking about killing his classmates." LOL we just can't win.

I gave a specific example of a student that I thought couldn't or wouldn't harm anyone. I was wrong and it got to the point to where he almost did which caused me to arrest him. I am advocating trying to get to a child before he has to be arrested.

Look man I agree with giving warnings. I give them a lot. I mean a lot. However in my opinion this is grounds for an investigation first. If it turns out he was just joking then yes a stern warning would be all that should be given. If the kid truly wants to kill people then the police can at least try to get him the help he needs so he doesn't get "drug into the system."
edit on 31-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Even if this kid isn't serious about shooting people, he sounds as though he needs a major attitude adjustment and is extremely immature.

I really don't care how old the kid is, if he's talking this way for whatever reason, he needs help.

I would've contacted the police by now. Kids certainly aren't like they used to be because of all the meds they're forcing on them. Maybe this kid hasn't been taking his meds or he's on some new ones. In any respect, this kid doesn't sound as though he should be lumped in with others at a public school and should be at a special school. If this kid doesn't get it through his head now, can you imagine what he'll be like in five years?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Being drug through the "mental healthcare" system is not much better than being drug through the incarceration system. Both are profit driven and out of control. This coming from someone that has been dragged through both, vindicated of my accused crime after spending more money than it would cost to buy a house. Dragged through the mental health system thinking it was going to help me. Forgive me for being cynical. I don't trust neither, which is why I suggested parent to parent contact first. Hoping the parent would be decent, although these days that is a stretch too.

I just don't want kids to be prematurely branded with the criminal or psycho scarlet letter. Both are a royal pain in the ass to overcome.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I am not going to waste my time trying to convince you that a majority of police are good. I already have a full time job. I honestly could care less as to what you think.

I simply wanted to encourage the OP to do what I feel and know is right in this situation. If you disagree that is your opinion which you are entitled to.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Nice copout. Why would the OP take your word for it? Why would anyone believe the majority is good, when the scumbags keep existing? Maybe you good cops need to stop defending the scumbags because they wear a similar uniform. Get rid of the whole thin blue line mentality and maybe people would trust you more. When cops can stomp on a handcuffed suspect and get paid leave, how can cops as a whole be trusted? Take out the bad apples, you won't hear me sticking up for crappy hardwood floor guys, I will tell it how it is.

As to the second paragraph, why do you think I commented? I am not here to lead people in what I feel is the wrong direction.
edit on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:52:51 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Did SHE tell the school? How did the school find out? Are you sure they know about it? I thought your daughter told you about it. Ir did you hear about it from the school? Hugs to you!

To those who are bickering in this thread about your personal opinions about cops, etc...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hmm that's funny I don't recall ever defending any bad cops. When did that happen? I actually speak out against bad cops on a regular basis. Are you assuming again? It must suck being prejudice.

But hey why should people believe you? By your own admission you have been "drug through" the mental health and criminal justice system. You say it was unjust but why should we take your word for it? Shall we all assume you are a psychotic criminal?

OP keep us updated please. I hope everything works out in a positive, safe manner.

Anyways I have to go to bed. I need my sleep. I have a long day of "harassing children" and "violating peoples constitutional rights."

TKDRL PM if you want to continue our discussion I think we derailed the OP's thread enough.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ok, I will try a different approach then. Name one positive thing, that can come from an 11 year old being branded as a criminal or psychopath? Would you like it if your kid was treated as such? Would you rather you were contacted first, and given a chance to handle it yourself, before your kid was branded with a scarlet letter?

@TorqueyThePig fair enough. I concede to painting with a broad brush. Maybe you are a good one. Good luck expelling the scummy cops and cleaning up the general image of police. Depending on who you ask, I am a psychotic criminal
Don't matter if the case was dismissed

edit on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:33:09 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

There has been some really bad calls by the police/schools, or politicians, don't know where the buck stops, but just read a thread where a 7 year old picked up 5 dollars dropped by someone, their lunch money and was fighting for it he was cuffed for 10 hours of interrogation at the police station. That is really bad form.

However your advice on this thread is the right thing, its what I would do if it were my child.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Ah on topic. I like it. I do understand where you are coming from. However are we to assume that all parents will take something like this seriously? I meet parents on a regular basis that refuse to believe that their child did something wrong, even when presented with video evidence.

So let us play extremes. Let us say this kid truly wants to cause harm. Let us say his parent does not believe this to be true or simply doesn't care what their child does. He then commits violence. What then?

You are so concerned with how the parents of the child that made the alleged threat feel. You are so concerned with how the student that made the alleged threat would POSSIBLY be viewd. What about all the other parents and students at the school? What about their concerns? Do the needs of the many not outweigh the needs of the few in this situation?

People constantly complain that police are reactive and not proactive. Yet we try to be proactive and we are criticized.

I am not saying the system is perfect. I am not naive.

edit on 31-1-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I suppose that it really depends on the demographics of it. As you probably noticed, I am not a fan of the police at all, and purposely choose to live in towns without police forces. Here for example, we have no police force, we pay two RCMP to do nothing but sit in an office in case they are called for help. No speed traps or seatbelt checks, no patrolling etc. When there is a problem, you get in contact with parents, and it gets solved. No need for police or shrink intervention. So yeah, I am probably biased in that aspect, calling the police is the last resort.

I know what it was like to be labelled a bad kid, and decide it wasn't worth it to fight it, that I might as well just give in and be a bad kid. I don't want to see other kids have to go through that. If I didn't buy into the the label that was slapped on me, who knows where I would be now. It is what it is though, can't change the past. Just pains me to see kids have to go through that, if not necessary.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Interesting that you knew I do not like to deal with the police. I have to say the police in my area are very good people but I just hate to call on them or feel the presence of the law around me, but better I do that then deal with them because I did not do something that could have saved innocent lives.

I did have my daughter write everything down so it would be fresh in her mind. Tomorrow I plan to go to the school and discuss this with the Super, principals, bus driver and the counselor.

They can look at the bus video to see him making the finger across the neck and that he was pointing out the students he said he would kill, my daughter suggested that.

I am really stressed over this and will do everything I can to help stop this from happening and to get this child the help he needs.

I do not know if this is a real threat or as suggested in previous posts just a young buck sprouting off at the mouth, either way this child does need help that is very much real.

Any other suggestions from you will be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Interesting that you knew I do not like to deal with the police. I have to say the police in my area are very good people but I just hate to call on them or feel the presence of the law around me, but better I do that then deal with them because I did not do something that could have saved innocent lives.

I did have my daughter write everything down so it would be fresh in her mind. Tomorrow I plan to go to the school and discuss this with the Super, principals, bus driver and the counselor.

They can look at the bus video to see him making the finger across the neck and that he was pointing out the students he said he would kill, my daughter suggested that.

I am really stressed over this and will do everything I can to help stop this from happening and to get this child the help he needs.

I do not know if this is a real threat or as suggested in previous posts just a young buck sprouting off at the mouth, either way this child does need help that is very much real.

Any other suggestions from you will be appreciated.

What??!! This threat happened to one of our own?! As a mom of 4, dealing with all kinds of crap from my oldest of 23 down to my youngest of 8, I would be a wreck like yourself. Take it seriously, and drive the kids to school tomorrow and do what you said, speak with the principles. This IS a serious matter, and no telling WTH is going on in this kids mind or home life. You have to protect your kids first...let us know what happens please...I'll check back tomorrow to see what actions the principle takes...good luck

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

THAT is the 64K question! NO they did NOT call me! OK on their side , she lives with my ex husband, he has custody even though I am the one pretty much raising her.

What was even worse was that he 'knew' about it, this happened last Tuesday on the way home from school not today as I first thought.

My ex is an idiot. He is pretty much an outlaw and does nothing but observe in life even when it comes to our children. That is a story for another time, or not.

So here is what I do know now, she told her dad last night "Dad I have a little problem... you know how you always taught me not to snitch on people? She then proceeded to tell him what happened and he being half asleep just told her she has to talk to the school about this, that if someone threatens you or other kids it is ok to tell on them, you should tell on them.

She had held this in out of fear that she was being a snitch by saying anything to anybody!

"He" was here at my house doing some work for me all day and never even told me!

Anyway, I am off to bed so I can get up early and take the kids in.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

I am omitting one important thing the boy said until after I speak with the school and Police. I really think that a report needs to be made and that DFS needs to check on this boys home life.

I will check back tomorrow to update this thread and keep you in the loop of how this is handled in small town, actually not even a town but a village.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My personal suggestions for your consideration:

1. KEEP A JOURNAL. PERHAPS EVERY HALF HOUR OR EVERY HOUR--CERTAINLY EVERY DAY. Sign and date every entry. Anything crucial--get a witness to witness the entry.

2. No way would I take my child to that school tomorrow.

3. If home schooling or private schooling are not an option . . . I'd insist she have a week or so out AT LEAST and stay with relatives or whomever until you feel VERY CONFIDENT she'd be safe at home and at school.

4. If there are church or club friends who'd be willing to house her for a while and she go to a different school, that might be worth checking out.

5. I agree the jerk is at least 50/50 likely to do something dramatic--NOT WORTH TAKING *ANY* CHANCES ON.

6. Personally, I'd be ranting and raving . . . in gradually escalating degrees at the school and at the police dept and maybe the mayor's. I might have to think all that through and the implications but I'd want those jerks to know this is NOT cool by any stretch of the imagination.

7. Sadly, this sort of thing is going to escalate . . . I don't know that there's anywhere to hide. I don't know what the solution is, if there is one--beyond clothing our kids in prayer and banding together as sane patriotic sensible, anti-death and destruction people.

8. I'd be very wary and watchful for any simple slap on the wrist talking to in terms of their dealing with the boy. That kid has some deeeeep seated anger that will highly likely be expressed sooner or later. I'm extremely skeptical that they will treat this that seriously--simply because it's BEFORE he did anything. !DOH! idiots. Though legally they are challenged in how to handle it emphatically.

9. If moving is workable, it might be worth it though, like I said, I don't know that there's anywhere to hide. The next school and bus may have a similar character on them--though one would think it unlikely--statistically.

10. Please keep us posted. Prayers and hugs.

11. I don't know if any of the defensive sprays are available and legal or not. I'd discuss the pros and cons of those with an expert and your daughter. . . . including wasp spray from Lowes.

12. Prayers. And please hug your daughter tons. Sigh. GRRRR.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Although it is HIGHLY against the rules, I suppose a small bottle of spray in her purse would be acceptable...

Your thoughts are much the same as mine, so off to bed I go to fight the good fight tomorrow. This is really hard for someone who is borderline agoraphobia.

Keep your prayers coming I can really use the support right now.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I would strongly advise against giving her pepper spray to carry. If she is caught with it, she will face more problems. There's also the possibility that someone will take it from her purse and spray it, which will also lead to more problems for her.

Just deal with the school and police to get this kid the help that he needs. He's very troubled and needs to be in a special school where counciling will be part of his daily program.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I think the bus driver if nothing else should be carrying it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join