It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*I Was Adopted By Peacocks* Amazing Back Story & Pics!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The most amazing thing has happened to me and my family! We have been adopted by Peacocks!!

On January 18th I heard a strange sound from my backyard. I thought a feral cat had gotten a hold of one of my chickens. Nope all accounted for, so I shrugged my shoulders and walked on. Later that day I caught a glimpse of something flying into the tree! And lo and behold: PLEASE READ BACK STORY as to why this is so awesome!!!

I was in shock!!!!! Let me give you a back story as to WHY!

When I first moved here, my neighbors behind me were farmers. They owned at least 100 acres. They had horses and peacocks! Every night the Peacocks would scream their hauntingly beautiful orchestra when flying up into their roost at night...

Then the owner died of cancer at a very ripe old age, and his wife moved out and the peacocks disappeared. THIS WAS 5 YEARS AGO!

I have spent years mourning the loss....
I personally have spent the last few months coming to terms with my own spirituality and mortality. I finally gave in and gave all my problems over to the creator of this universe that we live in. I can't handle stress anymore, so I gave it away....I have been looking for signs that I am on the right path. Signs that convince me that what you wish for CAN MANIFEST!! And what your heart desires in the form of something real....My prayers and wishes have been answered in an unexpected way!

So anyway, for the last few weeks, I have gathered lots awesome photos and have done lots of research. I believe I have one white buff juvenile female, and one juvenile Indian Blue Pied male, possibly laying their first clutch of eggs.

WHERE DID THEY COME FROM??? Nobody knows! But I feed them and they stay. They hide in the brush or fly into the trees.

Here is a pic of our first introduction: LOL

They started out far out in my backyard, now they come close and stay with a little incentive of yummy treats

A pic of them meeting my neighbors cat!! Guess who got scared and ran away!

In Greek Mythology Hera, Goddess Wife of Zeus is symbolized by the peacock.
So I named the Peafowl: Zeus and Hera
They are beginning to trust me now and for however long they stay, I will always remember one of the greatest gifts nature has ever bestowed upon me!!!!

edit on 31-1-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Excellent post, Starwise!They are elegant, beautiful creatures, indeed. I hope that people take the time to read your explanation of why their appearance is meaningful to you -- it's beautiful, as well.

What do you feed them?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
How neat is that! I must be awesome to see them out in the wild like that. Do you think they are some of the ones that belonged to the old man?

Our family recently got adopted by a road runner that likes to hang out on our Chevy and shake his mohawk at us. Very cool to see him out running around. I would love to see a peacock out like that. Thanks for sharing!

~OkieDokie

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Wild game feed, some cat food for the protein, salad, fruit, and some people have said ultra kibble which I may also do....still doing research on that part

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie
How neat is that! I must be awesome to see them out in the wild like that. Do you think they are some of the ones that belonged to the old man?

Our family recently got adopted by a road runner that likes to hang out on our Chevy and shake his mohawk at us. Very cool to see him out running around. I would love to see a peacock out like that. Thanks for sharing!

~OkieDokie

I love road runners! I used to see them in Arizona when I was small!
As far as the peafowl, they are about a year old which I can tell by research and looking as close as I can get to their feathers....They go through growth phases which is very distinct.

I just have no idea where they came from.....someone may be missing them. Like I said however long they stay I feel gifted! They are such a joy!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
They will become wonderful companions. I have two that are amazing. They own our farm, not one animal here will mess with them, even the Donkey knows better. My favorite thing is hand feeding them, my kids will chase them around and they don't seem to mind one bit. The absolute coolest thing, is that when a strange car pulls up down the drive-road they make their honking noise. It cracks me up, we have a personal alarm. Enjoy your new friends.
Thanks for sharing yours, here are my Pierre and Beatrice.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Violetshy

They are beautiful! What do you feed them? I do not want them to go deficient in a needed nutrient. Do you have chickens? I believe it was my free roaming chickens that may have attracted them to begin with.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

They are beautiful! What do you feed them? I do not want them to go deficient in a needed nutrient. Do you have chickens? I believe it was my free roaming chickens that may have attracted them to begin with.

Yes, we have chickens and the male one has a thing for the guineas. haha. We feed them chicken feed, and occasionally a little treat with dog food or fruits and vegetables. I'm not sure why mine like blueberries so much. My daughter will always buy blueberries, and then won't eat them (I think she does this as an excuse to feed them treats). We don't cage them, they roam free with the chickens and guineas, but we did lose one a few years ago that way to a barn owl. These two we've had for at least two years though.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Blueberries huh? Maybe I will try that!!

I did notice last week the male fanned at a group of deer and scared them away.
My only worry is fox and raccoons but I have not seen any of those in years....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
What lucky ladies to have peacocks. WOW! It must be amazing to see these beautiful birds every day! Share more pics when you can!

new topics

top topics

join