It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Hackers Infiltrating New York Times Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Source: NYT

Over the course of the last 4 months there was suspicious acitivity on the NYT's computernetworks which was finally determined to be coming from China.

It all seems to have started when the Times reported about Chinas premier Wen Jiabao being a billionaire. Shortly after that the computer of a Times-reporter in Singapore got compromised via email following a massive attack on all of the Times' computers.

Chinese officials deny any association with the attack as “Chinese laws prohibit any action including hacking that damages Internet security.”
More than 40 different malwares were detected, most of them used in similar ways in attacks on other US-American industries.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Chinese officials deny any association with the attack as “Chinese laws prohibit any action including hacking that damages Internet security.”

sounds like it wasnt them

also, why would the chinese want to hack new york times? sounds more like they attacked themselves and blamed the first name they drew out of a hat
edit on 31-1-2013 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

No news here. I work in network security and the chinese attack companies I work for daily. The possibility of a job is held out to chinese if they can infiltrate and leave thier signature while obtaining useful data. They hang out in internet cafes and treat it like a job. We see the attacks ramp up in the morning, then subside for lunch, then ramp up until the end of the day when they go home. Successful attacks get them a job with the chinese government. Email is the primary method of attack for heavily secured networks and beleive me they get in.

Of course we are hacking them as well.

new topics

join