It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Two Weeks This 50-Meter Asteroid Will Buzz Our Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
______beforeitsnews/space/2013/01/in-two-weeks-this-50-meter-asteroid-will-buzz-our-planet-2453762.html

Asteroid 2012-DA14 will pass Earth closely on Feb. 15, 2013 (NASA).

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Source from NASA

Better source I guess.

This should be taken quite seriously. Considering I've had a few dreams regarding a million people dying. I'm worried about this one because in one of the dreams I died, and so did my ex and daughter. After taking this into considering I've considered all possibilities. Something recently happened in my life that caused me to move to Ontario. My family, well they live in Nova Scotia. I've been reading a lot about predictions online about an asteroid hitting the Atlantic Ocean. That will affect that East Coast. So yeah, I'm worried. Very like to know what's going on with this one.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Watched the video and had to giggle when she said "it won't be cataclysmic unless you happen to be near it."

Gee, I guess I better plan not to be near it!

Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor tonight.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815

Watched the video and had to giggle when she said "it won't be cataclysmic unless you happen to be near it."

Gee, I guess I better plan not to be near it!

Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor tonight.

I share in this humor.
Yes ma'am I will be sure not to orbit at 17,000 miles. I wonder how close you would have to be at impact for it to kill you.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nquisitive
______beforeitsnews/space/2013/01/in-two-weeks-this-50-meter-asteroid-will-buzz-our-planet-2453762.html

Asteroid 2012-DA14 will pass Earth closely on Feb. 15, 2013 (NASA).

I dare you to use the search function that ATS provides, and search the words "2012-DA14". You may be surprised.

Do we need a weekly reminder, lol?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nquisitive

Wow!...that is very close. I am just wondering...do they know where on earth as it passes by...where it will be the closest to?

I think there is reason for concern; and also it is just one of those events in life that we don't have any control over; accepting that is sometimes difficult.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Will it be visible from any where on earth?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwhiteandblue

Go to the NASA link above and watch the video. It will appear as a fast moving star.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I just hope its visible and hope it lands in field near me if it hits can sell on eBay then lol

Can see people coming soon saying 21/12/2012 date was wrong this is whats going to kill us all

But before this happens 50 meters not gunna do much damage if it hits it might not do any at all if it breaks up

Will look up info later when not on phone

Yeah I agree get ready for the daily posts about this
edit on 29-1-2013 by Honkwoo1486 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Hey man, your post concerned me a little so perhaps I can be of assistance here. I'm sure Phage will be along shortly to help quell some of the hysteria involving DA14, is he is better versed in orbital mechanics, and seems to be our ATS Anti-Hysteria King.

DA14 is slated to miss Earth by quite a ways, now I know when we look at orbital projections from NASA much is above the average man, including myself in many regards. I do not understand, nor claim to know the physics, and maths involved in calculating it's trajectory, but I can assure you DA 14 is going to miss.

This is from the Wiki.

2012 DA14 is a near earth asteroid with an estimated diameter of about 45 meters (148 ft) and an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.[3] It was discovered on February 23, 2012, by the OAM Observatory, La Sagra in Spain (J75)[1] seven days after passing 0.0174 AU (2,600,000 km; 1,620,000 mi) from Earth on February 16.[2] Calculations show that on February 15, 2013, the distance between the asteroid and Earth will be 0.000228 AU (34,100 km; 21,200 mi).

A lot of confusion with celestial bodies comes with the use of Astronomical units, of which there are many. It can be quite easy to see, 0.000228 AU and freak out, because here on earth outside of Astronomy, astronomical measurements and physics this means absolutely nothing to the average man, and is incredibly hard to make an accurate judgement from any measurement we would use on a daily basis. 1 AU is the distance from the earth to the sun, or 149,597,870.700 kilometres (92,955,807.273 mi). So when we see the measurement 1 AU we may panic, especially when that figure is a decimal there of.

Another common unit of measurement used with NEA's anyways is 1 LD, which is the distance from earth to the moon or 384,400 km, (238,900 mi). Again, seeing 1 LD frightens those that are not familiar with the term, as well again, decimal places lesser than 1 tend to frighten those unfamiliar with the term.

Another problem we often see is the misconception these measurements are one and the same. Someone sees something listed as 1.3 LD on a table, looks up the meaning or conversion, and then sees lower on the chart lower .00009 AU, thinking the terms are inter-changeable they assume this means that celestial body is of some threat to their livelihoods.

Now as far as the calculation being wrong, don't even begin to think that. DA14 was discovered a year ago, and has been tracked, and observed every day since. The calculations are run hundreds of times a day, with corrections, and variables being tested equally. At this time DA-14 is expected to pass 22, 500 kms from earth. Now this is close yes, there are those that claim this is the closest pass in recorded history( asteroids have hit earth, asteroids have bounced off the atmosphere, others have burned up in the atmosphere, so I don't believe that, but even still). How ever, 22, 500km puts a 45meter DA-14 sailing right on by. Even if the calculations are off by a few percent, the object is not of significant size to make a difference.

IF DA-14 2012, were to enter our atmosphere(which it will not), it would burn up quite quickly, likely exploding so high above the ground, those beneath it would be completely unaware of it's existence. Very little to no effect would be felt on the ground, aside from a possible distant boom if you're lucky. If the object were to enter at night time, you may get what would look like any of the meteors we love to watch at any of the frequent meteor showers we observe. During the day, it would not be impressive how ever.

The object is not of sufficient size, to survive entry of the atmosphere at it's velocity, as well it is very unlikely it would survive to the lower atmosphere any larger than a pea. At those speeds the very Air you breath is the greatest protection against objects of this size.

Keep in mind there are plenty of predictions online of years past of exactly what you speak, and as of yet not one has come true. There have been other NEA's, other events of objects making contact with out the sensationalism provided for DA-14. I witnessed dozens of meteors in the shower in December that actually entered our atmosphere, as did many thousands of others the world alike. Please don't panic. Da-14 is nothing, and it's also nice to keep in mind there is more water on this earth than land. You are more likely to be hit by lightning that day than DA-14 is to cause a significant threat.

As well, I might add. No, it will not be visible in the sky to the naked eye, no your average telescope or binoculars are not likely to see it. it's 45 meters, at 22, 500 km away. The International space station is roughly 402 km (250 mi) - 424 km (263 mi) above our heads for comparison and it's dimensions are; Length 72.8m Width 108.5 m Height 20m.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I am so totally covering my house with rubber. That way, if it hits, it will bounce away into oblivion. That's what I am going to do.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Given the amount of atmosphere between you and DA-14 2012, I'm not sure you'd need any protection, but if you must I think your regular old run of the mill seran wrap would do. DA-14 is very unlikely to touch solid ground, even if it were to enter our atmosphere, but if any of it did, it would be no bigger than a pea.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

As well mate, dreams are not really anything other than our minds interpretation of the days events. I've had dreams of all sorts of apocalyptic endings, aliens, beds of hundreds of women, gold, knights, zombies the average mans dreams really, with a bit of spice thanks to ATS.

There are those that feel dreams do have deeper meanings but it's a language all of it's own. Here is a link I grabbed from google, and I will admit my mother is an absolute believer in the dreams having meaning thing, but they are not as they come to you.

Here's the link, good luck deciphering the meaning of your dreams. Most often they are personal messages of the subconscious not literal prophecies of the world around us.

Online guide to dream interpretation.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Honkwoo1486

Wishful thinking my friend, DA-14 at 45 meters in space, is not likely to touch ground in any discernible piece. You'd be better off to set up some air filters looking to capture microscopic fragments if it enters the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by Divine Strake

Given the amount of atmosphere between you and DA-14 2012, I'm not sure you'd need any protection, but if you must I think your regular old run of the mill seran wrap would do. DA-14 is very unlikely to touch solid ground, even if it were to enter our atmosphere, but if any of it did, it would be no bigger than a pea.

How do you know that? Do you know what its made of?

I would think considering its HIGH speed and its size that if it plunged directly at earth quite a sizeable chunk may reach the ground, also if it exploded in the atmosphere the explosion might be immense!

I'm not freaking out about it, but I think its wrong to say for FACT that it wont hurt us untill we know its gone.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
We should ever be so lucky to be outside looking up and see (film even) a near miss by a large body that passes "through" the atmosphere and keeps right on going...

If its a big one you may look down to the ground at your feet, suddenly becoming aware that you have two shadows...

and one of them is moving.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
For anyone interested...I went and ran the numbers through the impact simulator at Purdue University. Now, I ran this with everything at 100% WORST case scenario imaginable. A density of 8,000 (Iron) coming at 90 degrees straight in and moving at 72Km/sec for an impact into crystaline rock. Basically...nightmare numbers for the small size it is. Despite bestowing this little rock with the worst the imagination could possibly come up with? Well...It WOULD hurt to be under ... but wouldn't carry much past that, IMO.

Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.
Transient Crater Diameter: 2.53 km ( = 1.57 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 893 meters ( = 2930 feet )
Final Crater Diameter: 3.16 km ( = 1.96 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 672 meters ( = 2200 feet )
The crater formed is a simple crater.
The floor of the crater is underlain by a lens of broken rock debris (breccia) with a maximum thickness of 312 meters ( = 1020 feet ).
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.00635 km^3 ( = 0.00152 miles^3 )
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater

The major seismic shaking will arrive approximately 20 seconds after impact.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 6.1
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 100 km:

Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably.

Felt by nearly everyone; many awakened. Some dishes, windows broken. Unstable objects overturned. Pendulum clocks may stop.

The air blast will arrive approximately 5.05 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 3850 Pa = 0.0385 bars = 0.547 psi
Max wind velocity: 8.94 m/s = 20 mph
Sound Intensity: 72 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

This was all figured at a point of observation 100 kilometers away from impact. So, if it hit a major city? Well...it was nice having that city, whatever one it happened to be. It wouldn't be there anymore as the fireball is estimated at 1km in diameter by itself.

Now it's important to remind....this was using almost impossible numbers for speed, angle and impact type. Anything less? ...gets MUCH less and real quick! So I wouldn't stress. It's not like Elenin. Now that snowball would have hurt, IMO.

( Data Source: Purdue Impact Simulator.)
edit on 29-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: corrected speed from 71km/s to 72km/s

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Mass of the Earths atmosphere, 5×1018 kg. Mass of DA-14, 130, 000 metric tons. The atmospheres mass, is greater than DA-14s. When objects collide, the object with the greater mass is almost always the victor.

Now, That's almost irrelevant but if you wish to do the math involved those two masses are important.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, when an object exerts force on a fluid( gas, liquid) that force is distributed equally on all forces it touches. For instance in hydraulics. This fluid, also exerts the same force back on the object applying the force. So when an object enters the atmosphere, that object exerts it's force on the atmosphere, and the atmosphere applies the same force back on the object. So upon first entry with the atmosphere, that shock will be applied equally to both objects, the atmosphere is larger, and encompasses a much greater area, so the force will be applied evenly through out it's volume, and on every surface it touches. IF DA-14 were to strike the atmosphere "flat" so to speak, it would explode on contact into much smaller fragments, expending all it's energy some 120km above our heads. (cloud level 6-12km.) DA-14 does not possess enough energy to cause any discernible effects on the ground at that altitude. Any of the pieces left would experience friction from the gasses as well as particulate and water molecules in the atmosphere, causing extreme erosion and heat, burning up those fragments. The lower the objects get the more dense the atmosphere which would increase resistance, erosion due to friction, and heat on the objects.

Now, if DA-14 were to strike the atmosphere at an angle to shallow, or two extreme it is very likely it will either bounce off, or suffer the above mentioned. How ever if it were to strike at an angle suitable for entry it would still be exposed to EXTREME, resistance, friction erosion, and heat which would increase the further it traveled into the atmosphere as it gets more dense the closer to the ground you go. The heat and erosion would be so extreme DA-14 would burn off most of it's mass before it even reached cloud level. It is also likely the object would break apart high above the earth, exuding most of it's energy in a part of the atmosphere far from harm of those below.

I do not know the link, but there is an online based calculator for these things, that will tell you exactly what I have told you. I'm sure another poster knows of the link, or we could go into any of the other DA-14 threads to find this information. DA-14 is not significant enough to pose a serious threat.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I refer you to wrabbit2000's post above

edit on 29-1-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If it's passing by our planet, then why even worry about it?

Am i missing something here?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join