It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble's Latest Mind-Blowing Cosmic Pictures

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Found these incredible pictures and wanted to share. The beauty of space astounds me. Enjoy!

From Discovery News

Light from a galaxy 10 billion light years away

30 Dorados, inside the Tarantula Nebula

Two galaxies overlapping

Black hole emitting light

Stellar nursery

The remnants of a supernova

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The universe is just fantastic! thank you so much for posting.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
As always, Hubble brings the goods.
Great stuff
s&f

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

why dont they look into our OWN galaxy and its surrounding "earth like" planets?

i say this is BS

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

You don't believe these are real images?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

Huh?
What is BS about this? I am confused as to why you are annoyed by this?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

why dont they look into our OWN galaxy and its surrounding "earth like" planets?

i say this is BS

Well please explain further as you seem to be in the KNOW what Earth like planets and were are they

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
All that space, all the potential different life forms that roam this universe - Yet we're divided by such trivial, inferior things on such a small planet, which is merely a small spec in a vast ocean.

Makes me smile when I look at pictures like this, the wonders are endless. Its a shame I'm confined to this small little rock we're people fight over the basics of human life.

Thank you OP

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Wow, this is such a great example of gravitational lensing. I wonder what the Electric Universe crowd (who don't believe in Einstein's Relativity) have to say about this image.

S&F to OP for excellent images.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

The vast majority of our own galaxy is hidden from us in visible wavelengths because of all the interstellar dust.

Take a trip into the countryside on a clear night, well away from city lights and look up. Thats our galaxy.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by k1k1to

You don't believe these are real images?

At one point in my life i did...

not anymore i dont want to get into details because sometimes there is just no convincing people who have already made up their mind about something they believe to be true. if this inspires people then, hey so be it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

i say this is BS

Well please explain further as you seem to be in the KNOW what Earth like planets and were are they

well the fact that you are even intrigued even a little bit about my comment shows that deep down you know something isn't right.

i'll re-state my last comment in a more understandable way.

the pictures are fake.

and if they are real...why dont they use the technology to peer into our own galaxy and its many earth like planets that it contains? In order to understand what i just said you need to forget everything you have ever been taught in school or by "historians" or "officials" on what our galaxy and universe is really like. .

the truth is so out of this world, and so complicated, that our mere mortal human mind cannot comprehend it, and to try and comprehend it would send you into sheer madness.

sometimes i like to just "fit in" with the rest of us and "get lost" in the confusion and distractions because i fear that i will descend into madness.

we humans cant handle the truth, we dont deserve it, we cant understand it, and it saddens me because knowledge is what we long for...but at the end of the day a "super human" mind is required in order to dissect and take in everything tat is truly happening around us...it frustrates me
edit on 29-1-2013 by k1k1to because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2013 by k1k1to because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Black hole emitting light
Cool pictures.

But if the black hole is giving off light, it's not really black anymore, is it?

So a black hole is really only black if there's no material falling into the event horizon to create radiation.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

why dont they use the technology to peer into our own galaxy and its many earth like planets that it contains?
Who says they aren't?

Astronome rs have discovered hundreds of planets orbiting other stars, but only a few have been seen in photographs

Astronomers have discovered more than 850 planets orbiting other stars. These exoplanets are found using a variety of techniques, but most are indirect—we see the effect of the planet on its host star, but we don’t see the planet itself.

However, a very few handful have actually been directly detected—small sparks of light visible next to the brilliant spotlights of their stars. On this page are pictures all the exoplanets we’ve been able to see so far, including other solar systems, and some planets caught in motion as they orbit their parent stars.

Edit to add:
To show the difficulty of finding Earth like planets, here is a picture of Earth taken from the edge of our own solar system, it's only about 0.12 pixel so we can't even see it:

en.wikipedia.org...:Solar_System_Portrait_-_View_of_the_Sun,_Earth_and_Venus.jpg

In the photograph, Earth lies in the center of one of the scattered light rays resulting from taking the image with a small angle between the Sun and the Earth. Earth takes up less than a single pixel (only 0.12 pixel in size as referred to by NASA).
When it's this hard to see Earth even in our own solar system, you should get some idea how hard it might be to see it from a distant solar system.

edit on 29-1-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

why dont they use the technology to peer into our own galaxy and its many earth like planets that it contains?
Who says they aren't?

Astronome rs have discovered hundreds of planets orbiting other stars, but only a few have been seen in photographs

Astronomers have discovered more than 850 planets orbiting other stars. These exoplanets are found using a variety of techniques, but most are indirect—we see the effect of the planet on its host star, but we don’t see the planet itself.

However, a very few handful have actually been directly detected—small sparks of light visible next to the brilliant spotlights of their stars. On this page are pictures all the exoplanets we’ve been able to see so far, including other solar systems, and some planets caught in motion as they orbit their parent stars.

I dont want to offend you, but do you realize who FAR the images portrayed on this post are??? you're telling me that they cant look into 2-10-20-100 light years from us?? really? all they have are little "blips" and fuzzy images of different light waves and spectrum that they happen to photograph? right now with the technology available they can see the land masses of different planets just a couple of light years from us.

its ok though, i dont want to upset anyone or argue ...those are very pretty computer generated images.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

I'm not offended. Maybe they could see more if the planet wasn't so close to a bright star, but that's basically one of the main problems...the star is so bright relative to the planet, that we can see the star but not the planet. If there was some way to block just the light from the star, and only see the light from the planet, I'm pretty sure we would be able to see more...but we don't know how to do that.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

]When it's this hard to see Earth even in our own solar system, you should get some idea how hard it might be to see it from a distant solar system.

edit on 29-1-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

this just reinforces my response

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Love pics like this!! 10 billion light years, imagine what we can't see that's there.

Way off topic, but my wife glanced over my shoulder and asked, "Why does she call herself Smelly Girl?"

Told her what it really said. Still laughing.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

you seem like the type of person that is interested in astronomy and space exploration...

if only you knew the truth you would have a smile from ear to ear for weeks, you would leap in the air with joy, you would drive all over town yelling out your car window and honking your horn...

but its far more sinister than that. its not good. humans genetically and physically are not BUILT to handle so much information.

but some of us are surprising them, but they have a lot of fall back plans, and it is a mind war, one of the biggest fall back plans they have is psychosis...the brain cant handle it...it shatters and fractures..some of us who get close to the truth end up shattering..some of us..like me... purposely dive back in the distractions because we realize that we cant win because its beyond us.

together ..unified we can figure this out, imagine the human race like a school of fish all synchronized mentally, kind of like in the movie avatar and the "tree of knowledge"...but this synchronicity will never happen, there are too many loose wire..i.e "asleep" people..in order to get started.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary proof. Where's yours?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join