It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers claim investigation into Secret CIA Prison in Poland is being suppressed. (RT)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
For anyone unfamiliar, these will help bring you up to speed.
Old ATS Links
Polish Probe (Gotta be a joke somewhere for that)
Plane Crash

And this is the meat of it now....
RT - Source

A Polish investigation into secret CIA jails is being suppressed because it will embarrass the top echelon of the country’s government, lawyers of two men held illegally in one of the CIA’s ‘black sites’ in Poland tell media.
Reportedly, the results of this investigation could link some of Poland’s most senior politicians with illegal detention and torture, as well as impact negatively on the relationship between Poland and its key ally, the US, according to Reuters.
The news agency’s sources, including lawyers and human rights activists, reveal that the investigation was halted after the original investigators were taken off the case early last year.
The probe began in 2008 with prosecutors from the capital Warsaw, but in early 2012 the prosecutor-general transferred the investigation to the southern city of Krakow.
"The image is of a complete lack of action," Mikolaj Pietrzak, lawyer for Saudi national Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri who says he was detained in a CIA jail on Polish soil, told Reuters. "The case is obviously, in my opinion, under political control … The most convenient thing politically is for the case to drag on," Pietrzak added.
Bartlomiej Jankowski, a lawyer for the second alleged ex-detainee, Abu Zubaydah, has confirmed this.
"I am not receiving any information [from prosecutors] about new documents, nor am I informed about any new hearings. This is something that worries me," Jankowski said.
CIA-run prison was discovered in a small remote village Stare Kiejkuty and was operational from December 2002 to the fall of 2003. It was used to transport suspected Al-Qaeda members outside the US territory to interrogate without having to adhere to US law.
Polish officials say the investigators are still in the midst of collecting evidence and the investigation is taking so long because US officials have not been responding to information requests.

edit on 28-1-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
weird...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I caught this on my way off to bed but I NEED to make a comment on this story.

I do know a few things on this that are not in the media. It goes FAR beyond Poland. There's a lot more than one site involved and Poland may be out of use and closed....not all of them are. THAT part is no big secret and certainly nothing worth protecting at any major effort.

The details behind that ARE.

Where they are *IS*

The importance and the consequences of burning the places DURING the war *IS*.

At almost ANY cost, I'd imagine, if it comes to that.

The media needs to show some common sense in that wars are about killing people and GETTING PEOPLE KILLED. A few stories around this war can do the latter simply by reporting things. This, in my opinion, is very much one of them.

When this war is over...as all wars eventually DO end....there *MUST* be an accounting of these (C)riminals (I)n (A)uthority and some Vice type people who helped them create the whole system this is talking about. Some things have happened since 2001 that are simply best left until the fighting is over ...then yes... By all that's American...there HAS to be an accounting. It's not worth losing more lives for during this though. Breaking the story isn't worth what it can do right now, IMO. Nor would it HELP anything. Nothing positive would change or come from it. Only bad.

Flame away.... Call me a fool and uninformed. I don't care on this because however bad it's been? It can get worse and good intentions of "the people's right to know' can leave some too dead to care and they wouldn't have needed to be otherwise.

That's my opinion here and personally, I hope they don't get one inch further on the black site story or the story of Domestic Counter-Terrorism team operations since the wars began.... and it's so maddening I could scream sometimes that I can't say so much I want to on this.

World War II had a famous poster about lips and ships. The ships aren't a factor anymore...but lips are still the deadliest weapon off the battlefield.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
In a lot of ways i actually agree with you on some of the points you raised. Secrets are ultimately secrets for a reason, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Discerning which is which during a war against people who by all reasonable accounts attacked America and continue trying to destabilize the world through numerous terrorist actions seems close to impossible.

But with all that being said, and let's face it, most people probably won't hear this news period. And many who do simply won't care.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
S/F after that reply.

You're right... most won't hear about it because it won't go any further than it has. No one, IMO, who has served in or worked around these sites will say even as much as I did since they have so much more to risk and honestly? Likely agree with the need for them, at least in part.

Tell ya what though...when the wars end? I think there will be quite a lot of people who suddenly have A LOT to talk about. After Apartheid in South Africa they formed what was called The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC). As I understand it, their role was to cut the crap and get to what happened so the worst of it all could be looked at in the light and then put behind them to move forward.

I'll be front of the line and by then, hopefully in a job with some ability to help...see that very thing happen here or something we can call the American equivalent of it.

God knows, our nation can't move past all that's happened in any clean way without it or something very much like it. When the time comes, anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but i imagine much of how the public would feel about this could be mitigated by pulling a "Gitmo" on it and renovating the sons-o-bitches on the cheap. Tv's, xboxs, Happy Meals. Ya know, real "Americanizing" crap we can play off

As for the people "in the heat of things" today, there will be unspoken angels and forgotten demons, some court marshall's and some cover up's and nothing will really change.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Some connected information
RT

Self-confessed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defenders claim they were tortured in Guantanamo, prompting their lawyers to call for the preservation of the CIA secret prisons to use them as evidence.
The pretrial hearing for the suspected terrorist conspirators began Monday. Facing the death penalty for their involvement in the deadly attacks that killed 2,976 people on September 11, 2011, the five prisoners are making a last-ditch attempt to reduce sentence by describing their torture experiences at the Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base.
Mohammed previously accused the US government of killing millions of people and employing inhumane torture procedures “under the name of national security.” Attorneys representing the defendants are now calling for the judge to demand the preservation of the CIA “black sites” to use as evidence in the case against the US government. If the attorneys are able to prove that any of the evidence against the conspirators was obtained through torture, then this evidence may be excluded during the trial and lead to reduced sentences.

So when the reckoning for all of this starts to come, how much of our influence as a moral authority will we have sacrificed?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
A 200 + page report titled Globalizing Torture provides a detailed account of other countries covertly helping the US to run secret prisons, also known as ‘black sites’ on their territory and allowing the CIA to use national airports for refueling while transporting prisoners.
Original RT Source
Globalizing Torture Report - PDF File

At least 54 countries including Syria, Iran, Sweden, Iceland, and UK offered CIA “covert support” to detain, transport, interrogate and torture suspects in the years following the 9/11 attacks, according to a new report.
The 213-page report released by the Open Society Justice Initiative (OSJI), a New York-based human rights organization, documents wide-ranging international involvement in the American campaign against Al-Qaeda.

An excerpt from the report..

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) commenced a secret detention program under which suspected terrorists were held in CIA prisons, also known as “black sites,” outside the United States, where they were subjected to “enhanced interrogation techniques” that involved torture and other abuse. At about the same time, the CIA gained expansive authority to engage in “extraordinary rendition,” defined here as the transfer— without legal process—of a detainee to the custody of a foreign government for purposes of detention and interrogation.2 Both the secret detention program and the extraordinary rendition program were highly classified, conducted outside the United States, and designed to place detainee interrogations beyond the reach of the law. Torture was a hallmark of both. The two programs entailed the abduction and disappearance of detainees and their extra-legal transfer on secret flights to undisclosed locations around the world, followed by their incommunicado detention, interrogation, torture, and abuse. The administration of President George W. Bush embraced the “dark side,” a new paradigm for countering terrorism with little regard for the constraints of domestic and international law.
Today, more than a decade after September 11, there is no doubt that high- ranking Bush administration officials bear responsibility for authorizing human rights violations associated with secret detention and extraordinary rendition, and the impunity that they have enjoyed to date remains a matter of significant concern. But responsibility for these violations does not end with the United States. Secret detention and extraordinary rendition operations, designed to be conducted outside the United States under cover of secrecy, could not have been implemented without the active participation of foreign governments. These governments too must be held accountable.
However, to date, the full scale and scope of foreign government participation—as well as the number of victims—remains unknown, largely because of the extreme secrecy maintained by the United States and its partner governments.

It is really an interesting report, we had countries like Syria and Iran giving us terrorists to torture and abuse. We also had countries like Canada, Iceland and Spain providing support and giving us prisoners to be "rendered". It's simply amazing how deep the "Black Sites" go...

top topics

join