It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am I? Liberal or Conservative? Republican or Democrat?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm having a hard time deciding where I fit in. I've been lumped in with "libtards"
and "right-wing gun nuts" and I'm just wondering is there anyone else like me who
doesn't "fit" the ready made mold of either party.

1. I'm pro-gun, pro 2nd amendment. I'll take it a step further, any "arms" your local
governments possess (Police, SWAT, FBI, DHS, ATF, etc) I believe the American people
have the right to possess.

2. I'm pro-woman. I think Roe vs Wade is just about right. The tough distinction to
make is the one between a mother's right to her body and when that right is superseded by
the fetus's right to life. IMO the existing law is just about as good as it gets.

3. I'm anti-social programs, like social medicine, social security, food stamps, and welfare.
I realize these programs are needed because sometimes circumstances dictate that some people
end up helpless and need a safety net, but I resist against these programs because, unchecked
these programs can become corrupt money pits of red tape and over-regulated government excess.

4. I'm pro-gay issues. Let them marry and have the benefit of validation AND the benefit of
the tax and insurance breaks hetero couples enjoy.

5. I believe in the total separation of church and state. Keep your god, your philosophy, and
your religion personal. No one should impose their religious views in a government
controlled venue. To each his own, in his own time.

6. I believe we should cut military spending. Drastically reduce the amount we spend on
defense, by at least half. It has become abundantly clear that we are no longer deploying
our military for defense. Over the last fifty years our military has been deployed in aggressive
action that has less to do with national defense and more to do with political and government
interest.

7. Go Green. I believe we, as a nation, should embrace solar and wind technology on a
large scale, complete with subsidy and tax incentive for new construction and retrofitted
existing structures, such as homes, schools, and businesses. Though I am against big
government and government subsidy of private sector this issue is too beneficial to
humanity for us to ignore. America should be writing the blueprint and leading the way.

I have other political views that I may express later, but that's enough for now to
pose my question...

So am I blue or am I red?

edit on 26-1-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
idk but i am right there with you on all of those issues.. so we can be whateve we are together! yah!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The new voter. Purple.Which makes you an independent.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
From what i've heard on MSM, which I haven't really watched in decades, Rees and Dems are single issue people. You have to pick one thing that is most important, and then you'll know which one you are.

That is why govt.always gets bigger. To get the single thing you want you have to give other folks this or that.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

How about you don't put yourself in a useless box and just be you, a person who has their own opinions and beliefs that encompass the entire political spectrum.

Republicans and Democrats have proven themselves to be the same party. Think of them like WWE wrestling. They'll put on a dramatic show for the public but behind the scenes they obvious work for the same corporation. These politicians are liars, mostly corrupt, immoral, and absolutely greedy and will sell themselves out for a pittance.

Don't be a D or R, Conservative or Liberal, be you.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You're a human being.

(you're welcome)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Congratulations, OP. You think seem to think for yourself at least enough to not have to follow some official party platform. You can make up your mind on individual issues, regardless of what the "conservative" or "liberal" position might be. Myself being what some might call a "pro-gun liberal" I find that to be awesome.

Seriously.

But that said... why feel the need to put any kind of label on yourself? That's part of their game.

If you're an independent thinker, you're better than that.

You're a free-thinker. There's your label. Enjoy it.

PS-- You should re-think your stance on the social programs, IMO. At least you don't sound extremist about it, like many. But some of those programs are filling some very real needs for a lot of people, and I am convinced things would not be better if they were done away with. Maybe reformed, somewhat.... but not gone. Other than that, you sound like my kind of thinker....

edit on 26-1-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'm similar in mix up though not exact at all and I'm so glad you made this thread....political philosophy is nuanced and complicated and heavily influenced by region, background and personal experience...it's not simply MSNBC vs. Fox News.

Now if we could only get politicians to understand the same.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well...it's not easy being purple. People hate fence-sitters.For some reason not having a strong
conviction either way is seen as weakness. To me it is a strength to be honest and blaze your
own trail if no trail exists for you.

If I had to pick one issue it would be the GREEN one. I know that's really not a partisan issue,
but that'd be my pick. I hook everybody up with solar panels and tie them into the grid, priority
one.

If I had to pick a partisan issue it would be my stance on the 2nd and 4th amendments.
Government should keep their nose out of citizen business. To be very clear, there should be
some surveillance behind the scenes (as it has always been done with secret ops). But it
should not be public policy,

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That's why I vote for the person, not for the party, even if I find out later he was a puppet or was lying.

I don't know why people follow the duality concepts implanted.

- Republican or Democrat.
- Coke or Pepsi.
- Black or White.
- Straight or Gay.

Don't choose a side, keep them confused about you.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You are in need of programming, just hang tight and someone will be right over

Jus' Sayin'

spez

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
Congratulations, OP. You think seem to think for yourself at least enough to not have to follow some official party platform. You can make up your mind on individual issues, regardless of what the "conservative" or "liberal" position might be. Myself being what some might call a "pro-gun liberal" I find that to be awesome.

Seriously.

But that said... why feel the need to put any kind of label on yourself? That's part of their game.

If you're an independent thinker, you're better than that.

You're a free-thinker. There's your label. Enjoy it.

PS-- You should re-think your stance on the social programs, IMO. At least you don't sound extremist about it, like many. But some of those programs are filling some very real needs for a lot of people, and I am convinced things would not be better if they were done away with. Maybe reformed, somewhat.... but not gone. Other than that, you sound like my kind of thinker....

I don't really feel the need to pigeon-hole myself. This thread is really about showing that if
you to happen to fall between the cracks of political issues then that's okay...there are others like you.

As for the social programs, my stance is more like a doorman at a fancy nightclub. The guy who checks
the credentials of the clientele trying to enter. I think we are at full-capacity right now and I'm
worried about a fire hazard

edit on 26-1-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You're a political moderate it seems.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

#2 conservatives are pro women.
just because they are against abortion doesn't mean they hate women.
maybe try and separate the two.

#3 conservative, and their stance almost exactly.

#4 conservatives need to work on this one.

#5 nowhere does it state "the separation of church and state" in the constitution.
the one thing it does state about religion is "freedom OF religion, and the practice thereof."
so you might want to read up on that.
but that is libtard speak for "i only like certain parts of the constitution"...

#6 thats definitely liberal. however most conservatives agree to a certain extent.
cut the fraud , cut the unnecessary.

#7 conservative, but let the private sector "go green" . don't force it down their throats with job killing regulations.
it can and will happen on it's own, through advancements in tech. and innovation.

and don't let the democrats lie to you.
do your own research, read a lot, before jumping in with either side.
newsninja2012.com

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Cutting military spending is liberal? Um no...it's actually fiscally conservative.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by bjax9er

Cutting military spending is liberal? Um no...it's actually fiscally conservative.

well excuse me!!

i was referring to this part as being liberal, especially when 90% of them vote for such wars.

It has become abundantly clear that we are no longer deploying our military for defense. Over the last fifty years our military has been deployed in aggressive action that has less to do with national defense and more to do with political and government interest.

but yes cut the fraud and unnecessary, is fiscally conservative.

edit on 26-1-2013 by bjax9er because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

How is that liberal? A conservative would not want to establish an empire all over the world and engage in imperialism.

You're not a conservative, you're a neo-con.

edit on 26-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
And the above posters are the exact reason as to why you shouldn't ever choose a side. Stay out of their silly arguments and labels.

Just do you.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

5. You really make no sense. The supreme court has ruled that separation of church and state is the law of the land repeatedly, the supreme court is granted power via the constitution. Until it is nullifyed, it stays. It is you who chooses what part of the constitution to like or not. The constitution nearly flat out says it anyway, so it's not changing unless the Christian Taliban takes the country by force and re-writes the constitution.

The term "Separation of Church and State" was coined by one of the founding fathers, while referring to what the 1rst amendment meant...

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly cited by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
And the above posters are the exact reason as to why you shouldn't ever choose a side. Stay out of their silly arguments and labels.

Just do you.

The general person is going to agree with one side more than the other, or they are moderate. If you choose not to label yourself, you're not nullifying your beliefs. If you listed them, you would fall into a pre-defined category.

You aren't fooling anyone by trying to be the cool kid and stay away from labels. It's similar to the people that don't want to be called Christians yet follow Jesus Christ, the bible,etc.

You are what you are regardless if you put a name on it or not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join