It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS wants 7,000 AR-15s

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
This nomenclature (Personal Defense Weapons) implies to me that the arms will be issued to DHS personnel for their own protection - not for conducting checkpoint searches or home gun confiscations - sheer hypocrisy if you ask me.

Actually, is an accepted term for those firearms, as opposed to "assault". Generally, also refers to SBR's (short barrel rifles). You'll also see the term CQB (close quarters battle) to refer to these firearms.

Just weapons designed to be used at a short distances and fire at a very high rate. Some even use handgun rounds, which is very nice if you carry the same caliber of handgun.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

Yes I have seen that term used in articles for SBRs and especially modular SMGs in handgun calibres (like the Kriss .45).

edit on 26-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
carbines

The modern usage of the term carbine covers much the same scope as it always had, namely lighter weapons (generally rifles) with barrels less than 457.2 mm (18 inches). These weapons can be considered carbines, while rifles with barrels of 457.2 mm (18 inches) or more are generally not considered carbines unless specifically named so, and depending on the weapon's power. Modern carbines use ammunition ranging from that used in light pistols up to powerful rifle cartridges, with the usual exception of high velocity magnum cartridges. In the more powerful cartridges, the short barrel of a carbine has significant disadvantages in velocity, and the high residual pressure when the bullet exits the barrel results in substantially greater muzzle blast. Flash suppressors and muzzle brakes are common solutions to this problem, which may ease their acceptance.

carbine

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Who the heck is buying tanks at 300k plus? This is the only military vehicle I have ever owned.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by solomons path

Yes I have seen that term used in articles for SBRs and especially modular SMGs in handgun calibres (like the Kriss .45).

edit on 26-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

I just commented in another thread about the Kriss Super-V. I used to own one, but saw the writing on the wall and sold it a while back (2008), as to not have to deal with class 3 issues. They are one of the funnest guns to shoot and even though you are pushing .45 ACP if feels like a 10/22. Ah . . . the good ol' days (and didn't they look cool as ... in the new Total Recall!).

edit on 1/26/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
What exactly does Homeland security do? What do they need AR-15s for?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda
What exactly does Homeland security do? What do they need AR-15s for?

they secure the homeland i guess.
they need the ARs for personal defense against criminals, or so they say..

really they do a whole lot of nothing, except spend our labor down the drain.
edit on 26-1-2013 by bjax9er because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

They need them for their personal security when they come to make the "Homeland" secure by taking the guns from heretofore law abiding citizens.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

The department of homeland security wants 7,000 PDWs (personal defense weapons)
AKA "assault weapons" when owned by civilians.

This means the confiscation is on the way!

Have you tried to buy any guns or ammo lately? The only way they’re going to find 7,000 of ANYTHING is if they take them from citizens because the gun manufactures can’t keep gun stores supplied right now as it is!

I'm beginning to think this administration has stock in gun companies because they keep buying more and more guns and ammo with our tax dollars and every time they open their mouths people run out and buy more guns!

edit on 27-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And the shame of it all is we all saw this coming a long time ago, in this current administrations infancy. We should have nipped it in the butt then but no one did. How, not exactly sure? These people seems to be living in a world/planet of their own anymore, it's getting plain old nuts.....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
People need to keep in mind that the DHS also now includes the US Coast Guard. The USCG needs those weapons for drug interdiction, combating piracy etc etc.
USCG

I truly think they are not intended for use against Citizens.

I believe this is more they are called Personal Defense Weapons when the government wants them, and labelled Assault Rifles when the citizens want them. Same weapon, two different labels.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Given its a government contract it'll take 2-3 years before its signed and then they get to actually produce of the weapons followed by 6 months to a year of testing & evaluation and assuming everything works out they'll produce the remainder of the batch just in time for them to be classed as obsolete but still will then require the DHS officers to be trained on them so any supply problems today won't affect them but in 2015-16 if theres supply shortages then worry

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

I think the gun maker's should tell the DHS they will only sell them semi-auto AR's.
Also, they will only sell DHS 10 round mags.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I actually don't think we need the same weapons. A sweet AR-15? You bet. The point I was trying to make is that we as citizens will never have or need the same weapons. We need personal defense weapons, no doubt. However no matter how big a gun you have nor how much ammo you can hoard will stop a Hellfire Missile should the Government decide you are too well dug in.

The only way (or chance) to beat back the gun grabbers is with logical arguments. Start telling people we need the same weapons as the Military and you are simply going to bolster their argument.

With your logic we all need drones (;

Then don't dig in. Stay mobile. Take a page from the people who have beat the US military using only rifles and home made explosives.

Yeah, you're going to beat back an armed confiscation unit with logic?

Let me know how that goes.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
so if we dont need them.. why do they...

to best you

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
They are getting ready for something

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by seabag

Given its a government contract it'll take 2-3 years before its signed and then they get to actually produce of the weapons followed by 6 months to a year of testing & evaluation and assuming everything works out they'll produce the remainder of the batch just in time for them to be classed as obsolete but still will then require the DHS officers to be trained on them so any supply problems today won't affect them but in 2015-16 if theres supply shortages then worry

I understand your humor and normally I’d agree but things are different these days.
DHS didn’t seem to have a problem making large acquisitions last year. Neither did the Social Security Administration.

Times have changed and nothing seems to stop them when they want something. Certainly not political red-tape.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The AR-15 wasn't even banned in the last assault weapons ban so...........

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
The AR-15 wasn't even banned in the last assault weapons ban so...........

You can’t be serious!

In the former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-select-fire AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of cosmetic features…….
read the rest here

AR's have a pistol grip, telescoping stock, and detachable high capacity magazines....3 qualifiers for the ban!

edit on 27-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
So do they want assault rifles or personal defense weapons?

Why is it that when the government wants automatic rifles they call them "personal defense weapons", BUT when civilians want a semi-auto rifle they have the nerve to misclassify it as "assault weapon".

WTF?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join