It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Boxsets ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I am looking for a good series to get my teeth into. So far i have a few ideas of what to watch but can anyone recommend anything else. I already own all CSI box sets and have watched them to death. But here are some i am contemplating ?

-Sopranos
-Boardwalk Empire

Please help me out

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

I am literally watching the boxset of Band Of Brothers at the moment - Classic
Game of Thrones is also a jolly good romp too.
oh! and the US version of The Killing is an all nighter (haven't seen the Danish version yet)

edit on 26-1-2013 by HumansEh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

Watched Band of Brothers. Such a great box set great acting as well its weird for me watching it as i know a few of them have English accents in real life but they pull off the American Accent so well.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Not sure if you can get this in the US :-

www.youtube.com...

That's the remake of the classic 1970's series:-

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Can I totally break the mold here and suggest Xena Warrior Princess?
One of my favorite television programs from the 90's. It's actiony, it has that gushy dramatic crap, and it has women running around in skimpy clothing. In all honesty though, it's a great tv series and very easy to get into if you can get past the cheesy presentation of things within the first half of the first season or so.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I would recommend The Unit or Breaking Bad

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I am from the UK bro Scotland.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Doctor Who(The new series - 7+ seasons).

Continuum would be a must on my list. I was given a copy of the first season and watched the entire thing over two nights with the Mrs.

Chuck is also a great series (Five seasons).

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
reply to post by alldaylong

I am from the UK bro Scotland.

I would recommend this then:-

www.denofgeek.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

I dont know about the boxsets, but if you want to watch some good tv then go watch/buy the hbo series Carnivale.
Twin peaks is another one I would highly recommend.
edit on 26-1-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

I wouldn't bother with 24. It's a matter of opinion, of course, but the series gets old kind of quick.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are the two most acclaimed television dramas possibly of all time. They're both amazing. Breaking Bad is a little looser, it's funny, it has more action, it can occasionally stray into over-the-top. The Wire is a bit more challenging, there's a huge cast of characters, things move slower, it stays very grounded. Both are phenomenal.

Firefly is great fun. Veronica Mars is pretty great. It sounds really dumb, pretty teenaged girl solves mysteries in her socially divided town, but it's really well written. Someone mentioned Carnivale, which is good, but is extremely slow and nothing gets resolved. There's two seasons and the story was planned to last for 6 to 8. It's anime, but it's probably the best one out there: Cowboy Bebop. Only 26 episodes, really tight writing.

If you're interested in comedy: Arrested Development, Community, Parks and Recreation, Venture Brothers, Life and Times of Tim, the US version of Wilfred, just to name a few.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Mad Men is a must! It's very well made, takes place in the 60's and it's going on it's 7th ( I think..) season now.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Firefly is quite good, but only 16 episodes. I have a female friend who falls asleep at sci-fi (she's never seen Star Wars!), but when some of us boys put Firefly on she watched it and liked it!

I've got all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 as well (and the specials, and Atlantis... but I'm not obsessed, gibber gibber..) Stargate is good ole' fashioned buddy stuff with happy endings mostly.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The West Wing

Storyline

When the erudite Democrat Josiah "Jed" Bartlet is elected U.S. president, he installs his administration. He places confidants from his electoral campaigns in the White House. Each of these people play a significant role in the Washington power game: the Chief of Staff (Leo McGarry), his deputy (Josh Lyman), Communications Director (Toby Zeigler), deputy (Sam Seaborn, and later, Will Bailey), and press secretary (CJ Cregg). Also in key positions are the assistants of each of the power players. We follow these people through many political battles, as well as some personal ones. Also playing roles are the First Lady (Abigail Bartlet), the President's daughters (Elizabeth, Eleanor, and Zoey), and the personal aide to the President (Charlie Young). All make this series, which supposedly follows the political events (often paraphrasing historical reality) almost day by day, more than merely a political soap.

IMDB.com

Outstanding show. I never watched it when it was "prime time", but caught re-runs a couple of years ago
and got hooked.

I'm currently watching it online and this is my 4th time through the series.

new topics

top topics

join