It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Need Of Some Easy,Cheap Recipes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by kdog1982

Breakfast Pizza
2 to 4 cups mozzarella cheese
1lb sausage
1 roll (can) croissants
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste or try cavenders seasoning (it's great on anything)
9 x 13 casserole dish

Heat oven to 350.While heating oven :brown and drain sausage.
spray casserole dish with cooking spray and line with crossants.
add sausage to cassorole dish mix milk and eggs and pour atop sausage. cover with cheese.
bake in pre heated oven about 35 mins.

If you have any left over freeze to nuke later for a quick breakfast.

Never met a kid that didn't like it,and you can cook it the night before.
edit on 24-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

That sounds great,Thank you for sharing that.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Baked ziti is always a good dish when low on money....cook up a box osf ziti, drain it. Throw it in a big mixing bowl. Add your spaghetti sauce.. add some chopped onion, garlic, black pepper, basil, and oregano. (Season to taste.)...if you want it spicy, add crushed red pepper...if you want to add meat, add cooked hamburger, or cooked chicken,,,Or you can keep it vegetarian ....,, then add a handful of Parmesan cheese, and a handful of mozzarella cheese . The chese will suck up some of the sauce, and the pasta will suck up sauce when cooking so make sure your mix is juicy but not runny..... Mix well. Put alittle spaghetti sauce on bottom of Caserole dish and then put your mix in casserole dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake @ 375 degree for about 40 min or until bubbling hot and cheese is browning. ..add some garlic bread on the side and yum!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shantyknight
Sign of the times, huh? If we were friends on Facebook I could show you dozens of extremely healthy Cherokee dishes. Since we're not, I would like to share this with you. I was taught by Elders that to maintain a good health we must eat the foods that we were designed to eat. Such as, I am from North America so I mostly (not always possible) eat foods that are indigenous to there. Foods from South America would also be healthy for me to eat. The healthiest choices would be locally grown. Especially so regarding honey. Fruits and vegetables that originate in Europe are the least healthy, for me. Likewise, a European diet consisting of fruits and vegetables from North/South America would not be healthy, for Europeans.

Yes,thank you.
It would be best for me to try different ,healthier foods.
I will look into that.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
With the status of my economic situation,I have become the main cook again.
Feeding a family of four.
What I am looking for are some easy to moderate maybe even difficult recipes for a challenge.
I might share a few of mine also.

Main ingredients would be one of the following....

Beef,hambuger
Chicken
Pork

Other ingredients ........

Pasta
Potatoes
Rice
Veggies

We love to experiment and my cooking skills are pretty good.
We also love mexican,italian ,Irish,Chinese and American.

So,any ideas and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
K
your list is upside down if you want to eat cheap and healthy.
I am the dad and husband and main cook in my family. I am 53 years old and a damn good cook.

My list: Beans, rice and other grains (coucous, quinoa, barley etc.), fresh homegrown or farmers market and on sale veggies, fresh caught on sale fish, on sale chicken and sometimes on sale pork. Beef? forget it cause of the cost

Remember plan your menu around what's on sale!

Find your own style and recipes. That's the best way to develop your "style" of cooking.

edit on 24-1-2013 by grubblesnert because: added an s

edit on 24-1-2013 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I love cuban.
Bijol seasoning?

I have a favorite cuban dish,basically shredded beef or pork over rice.

The translation was dirty shirt or something.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
A pork butt is always cheap. ...you can rub it with your favorite Cajun seasonings and put in a crock pot with some water, beef broth, a little brown sugar, alittle mustard, alittle apple cider ...and cook for 8 hours or until falling off the bone...pulled pork! Top with baby rays BBQ sauce...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Yes,I need to do a big change up as far as cooking goes.I use to do alot of cooking for the family till I was working so much nobody had time to cook and it was takeout or microwave.
So,now,I'm getting back in the game of cooking.
So,you are on the east coast?
If I was still living there,I would be shrimping,but shrimping season is over for right now.
I still have many friends down there with boats,maybe it would be worth while to take a little trip,a fishing trip.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
A pork butt is always cheap. ...you can rub it with your favorite Cajun seasonings and put in a crock pot with some water, beef broth, a little brown sugar, alittle mustard, alittle apple cider ...and cook for 8 hours or until falling off the bone...pulled pork! Top with baby rays BBQ sauce...

That sounds really good.
Thank you!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Shrimp and grits! Cook your grits, and top with broiled shrimp..( peeled and deveined and seasoned with mesquite seasoning - then broil in oven until cooked.) top with a jaeger BBQ sauce..(use baby rays, and add a splash of jaeger or bourbon..if too strong add some brown sugar...)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Ramon Noodles...

Looks like that will be my dinner for next month.

Sad..

I work my tush off and bust my behind in school only to starve when I get home.

What a world we live in.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Shrimp and grits! Cook your grits, and top with broiled shrimp..( peeled and deveined and seasoned with mesquite seasoning - then broil in oven until cooked.) top with a jaeger BBQ sauce..(use baby rays, and add a splash of jaeger or bourbon..if too strong add some brown sugar...)

OMG

You just made me sick to my stomach. Just imagining that combination is getting me woozy.

Shrimp on Grits????

edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Shrimp on grits is actually really good! Nice grilled shrimp with a nice BBQ sauce! Yummy ! Grits is corn..

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
There is raw cosmic conspiracy cake, but it would probably not be good for dinner or maybe not at all depending on one's taste.

Raw Cosmic Conspiracy Cake Recipe

A winter fav in our house is Apple Cider Stew and it can be split in half and frozen so you can have it again.

APPLE CIDER STEW Printed from COOKS.COM

4 1/2 tbsp. flour
3 tsp. salt 1
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/8 tsp. thyme

Shake 3 pounds stewing beef in the above mixture and brown in 4 1/2 tablespoons oil.

Add: 3 c. cider
3/4 c. water
3 tbsp. vinegar
Boil and simmer 2 hours until meat is tender.

Add the following vegetables and continue cooking until tender:
6 carrots, quartered
5 potatoes, quartered
3 onions
4 celery sticks
2 chopped apples
Sliced mushrooms to taste

Apple Cider Stew

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue
There is raw cosmic conspiracy cake, but it would probably not be good for dinner or maybe not at all depending on one's taste.

Raw Cosmic Conspiracy Cake Recipe

A winter fav in our house is Apple Cider Stew and it can be split in half and frozen so you can have it again.

APPLE CIDER STEW Printed from COOKS.COM

4 1/2 tbsp. flour
3 tsp. salt 1
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/8 tsp. thyme

Shake 3 pounds stewing beef in the above mixture and brown in 4 1/2 tablespoons oil.

Add: 3 c. cider
3/4 c. water
3 tbsp. vinegar
Boil and simmer 2 hours until meat is tender.

Add the following vegetables and continue cooking until tender:
6 carrots, quartered
5 potatoes, quartered
3 onions
4 celery sticks
2 chopped apples
Sliced mushrooms to taste

Apple Cider Stew

Sounds great but for the sliced mushroom to taste.
Mushrooms don't have a taste,do they?
At least with my experience.I have weak tastebuds.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Mushrooms have this!

Umami: The 5th Taste

www.msginfo.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I was going to add that I usually do not add the mushrooms, as I agree, they really do not have a taste.

Have fun cooking!

ETA-Mushrooms can have a taste, but it would be lost in a stew, so it is kind of a waste of an ingredient.
edit on 25-1-2013 by PacificBlue because: edit

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I just typed out heaps of recipes and lost the entire reply so I am going to chuck a tantrum and when I calm down, I will post them up again.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

here I go again, this time I am inserting the urls with the recipes...

shepherds pie

I put it in a big oven dish not little ones and I don't follow the recipe precisely.

spaghetti

I don't put bacon in with mine.

another good one is just to cook some pasta up and when it is hot, put some butter, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese (or grated cheese)... very simple but yummy. You could add some pesto to it and nice thick bread. kids love that kind of stuff.

stirfrys are quick and easy as well, you can put any kind of vegies in with it and cook it up, add some tumeric to the rice so it has some color also. use chicken or beef.
sweet chili beef stirfry

casseroles are good too cos you can buy meat that isn't the best quality..like rib eye etc.

beef casserole

tuna mornay is another good one:

tuna mornay

I hope this helps, kids love these kinds of foods and they are healty (you can disguise the vegies
)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
check out www.cooks.com, I go there all the time for fast recipes

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
O.k. ever so easy and cheap ...
Mac n cheese, add a taco packet and some browned hamburger or chicken chunks.I add velvet a when I have it.
Lived on it in college.
Make meatballs up ahead of time just use dry packet of Italian salad dressing egg and some bread crumbs and hamburger onions optional. Put them in the crock pot. Cook,Cool and freeze. It gives you spagetti quick add sause to some,or meatball subs or add them to cream of mushroom soup some paprika sour cream optional and pour it over noodles.you have fast fake Swedish meatballs. Get the kids to do the rolling the next time they claim boredom.
Make alot, the kids will be microwaving them for after school snacks.

Buy the pre packaged butter sause n noodles. Add boiled shrimp or venison chunks that have been floured and fried in butter and beer.I used to serve the fried venison. Then do the noodles and buttersause thing to use the left over venison.

Buy the frozen yeast bread loaves. Take one out, butter it thaw it let it rise don't worry if it over develops. Pull a hunk off deep fry it, roll it in powdered sugar or cinnom.sugar =home made donuts.
Yum those were the days before my never say diet diet.

Yum, those were the days. Now I'm on the never say diet diet.

edit on 25-1-2013 by REMflyer because: tried to remove duplicate final comment

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join