It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gun debate: Obama unveils gun control proposals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'll start off by saying my thoughts are in a haze of shock to see what he's really done here.

The reason you are in a haze and shock is because you want to be angry, but there is really nothing to be angry about.

You wanted Obama to come out and say he is signing an EO to start confisicating guns, and instead he came out and made logical steps into making schools safer, making background checks better, and allowing health care providers to let authorities know if someone tells them they are about to kill people without worrying about HIPPA.

You can't process your emotions because deep down you know Obama made good logical choices...but you can't bring yourself to admit it.

Fox News is having a similar problem right now...they are dealing with it by not even talking about Obama's actions and talking about other things.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by seabag

I have 2 things to say - 1) I TOLD YOU SO!! and 2) 'Thanks a lot' to all of you who voted for this man and his evil tyrannical machine...
You are Welcome Bud.

Always willing to help a Bloke out.

Well enjoy your Kool Aid and your neutered, dependent, helpless, cradle to grave, government controlled lifestyle that Obama intends to create for all of us.

You folks are proud of yourselves, aren't you? You should be ashamed!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

You wanted Obama to come out and say he is signing an EO to start confisicating guns, and instead he came out and made logical steps into making schools safer, making background checks better, and allowing health care providers to let authorities know if someone tells them they are about to kill people without worrying about HIPPA.

Don’t forget national gun registry (complete violation of privacy) and a halt to the sale and manufacture of several types of weapons and magazines.

I wonder how many people he will be putting out of work?? 10,000??

NDAA, Patriot Act, SOPA, ACTA, gun bans, 6 trillion in debt, higher unemployment, more on welfare.....YES, he's such a GREAT POTUS, isn't he?

edit on 16-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Just to clarify something here for me, does this mean the president has effectively bypassed Congress to impose these changes or do Congress have to approve them?

These do not need Congressional approval. But look at them. They are about enforcing existing laws, finding the root cause of the violence and dealing with mental health issues.

Then In that case I would have to say I am opposed to these changes.

I know that some who may have read my previous posts on this subject may take that as a u-turn on my views but its not. I just think it is wrong that the president can just does this when it affects so many American’s.

I don't mind saying when I first saw the headline you have here and opened it...I groaned aloud. I literally groaned. Seeing who caught the OP piece for this ..what will surely be a Mega-Thread if the order of posting is respected for funneling traffic. Oh.. Not you, OtherSide.. Anyone but you!
I imagine there are a few topics you'd say the same or worse to see I caught 1st and top story for.

Then... I read your words.. and I have to say. I have new found respect for you and your thought process. I groaned because i immediately thought 'Aww hell... The Anti-Gun grab reported by a confirmed anti-gunner'. You're looking beyond the mere topic of guns this is being done because of...and looking at WHAT is actually being DONE.

I must say..the true outrage IS on the methods and tactics being forged as a new precedent here ..and not even the topic it's being done for so much. A great S/F and wish for many more to come on your efforts here at getting at the true issues. Perhaps we're all wrong in our extremes on Guns themselves.. Maybe working together IS the only way ....but indeed.. Today and THIS move is about far more than merely the guns.

edit on 16-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

you bring up a very good and not yet really talked about point.. a fundemental change in the way the govt works...so-to-speak

this sort of is setting a precident...he has got 4 years left..will this tactic be tried again? and what about presidents that follow? what will congress do or say about this, probably nothing....this is just the tip of the iceberg...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Well enjoy your Kool Aid and your neutered, dependent, helpless, cradle to grave, government controlled lifestyle that Obama intends to create for all of us.

Im not Ashamed, Im Actually a little ticked he didnt go Far Enough.
But the Precedent is there, so He can add more later I can Hope.
Have a Nice Day Bud.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I for one, will be writing my congressional representatives to urge them to support these initiatives outlined by the President, including the renewal of the assault weapons ban. I am a gun owner who parted ways with the NRA many years ago over this very issue and I agree wholeheartedly with the President and his proposals.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Go Obama! Not tight enough restrictions in my opinion, but it is a start!

link   
reply to post by seabag

States are already gearing up to stop anything unconstitutional this man or his Administration plans on enacting.

State officials in Oregon and Texas are vowing to fight back against any attempt by the federal government to impose new gun control laws.

Oregon, Texas officials warn White House against enforcing new gun regulations

link   

My views on gun control in America have changed, before this all started I took the view that they should all be banned and America had no need for guns….

Now

Now I think that when one takes out account the statistics that show gun ownership reduces crime, that I have listened to the other side of the argument and accept that you could never actually ban guns in America my views have mellowed. Yes I still believe that something needs to be done, but the debate on ATS has led me to question what that solution may be.

link   

Im not Ashamed, Im Actually a little ticked he didnt go Far Enough.
But the Precedent is there, so He can add more later I can Hope.
Have a Nice Day Bud.

Gloating about the demise of your rights!

I would expect nothing less from the Obama crowd!

link   
reply to post by seabag

Don’t forget national gun registry (complete violation of privacy) and a halt to the sale and manufacture of several types of weapons and magazines.

Show me. He did NEITHER of these things.

The manufactured outrage over this matter is hilarious!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

Uhm.....what?

Okay. I understand that there can be substances, drugs and yes, even some sort of diseases out there that can affect a person's mental health, leading them prone to violence, etc.

While I can support that, I'd really like the CDC concentrating on life threatening diseases that claim all too many lives (much more than guns ever have).

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I have 2 things to say - 1) I TOLD YOU SO!! and 2) 'Thanks a lot' to all of you who voted for this man and his evil tyrannical machine...
You are Welcome Bud.

Always willing to help a Bloke out.

You think it is just Obama? Methinks you are not seeing the entire picture......

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
...and in other news every hardware store across the country is sold out of large diameter PVC pipe and the #1 search term on Google is "bill of sale template"

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Yep. Typical.

Quote from Star Wars ... 'so this is how liberty dies .. to the sound of applause' ....

MOLON LABE !!

Molon Labe

The phrase molon labe means "Come and take". It is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by seabag

Show me. He did NEITHER of these things.

The manufactured outrage over this matter is hilarious!

You must be kidding....did you hear his speech? He wants to reinstate the 94' ban. The 94' ban halts the manufacture of assault weapons.

This entire effort (with the exception of stronger background checks) is a travesty. Some people are so quick to watch our country taken over that it really is disturbing to me.

Oh well......I just have to keep fighting it. Thank GOD I live in Texas!

link   

Still Smarting about that "Landslide" thing you Guarantee not Panning Out I see.

But more on Topic, The "right to live' is what this is all about.

Why dont you send your 'cute" pictures to the Families of the 26, with a note explaining why your guns are more important than their Lives.

Have a Nice Day bud.

link   
Mental health seems to be the biggest issue being pressed from what I see, now who decides who is mentally stable? GOV does, now they have made a legal loophole for legal confiscation through the medical system.
edit on 1/16/2013 by GaucheDroite because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/16/2013 by GaucheDroite because: reworded some things

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Double

edit on 16-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join