It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we still work off of time zones?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Why can't the globe pick a single time and stay with it?

It probably would be Greenwich Mean Time.

If you need to be in the office at 9am NY on a world clock map you would walk in the door look at the clock and it would show 1PM/1300HH

If you need to be in the office at 9am Los Angeles on a world clock map you would walk in the door look at the clock and it would show 5PM/1700HH

If you need to be in the office at 9am East NZ on a world clock map you would walk in the door look at the clock and it would show 11PM/ 2300HH

We should have done this long ago.

Of course we would kick to the curb the 'daylight savings time' failed experiment. Thank you Bennie but it doesn't really work.
edit on 11-1-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

What is the big deal? Just use UTC if you want an universal timezone

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Erm... world time is based on the sunlight and our rotation around the sun (productive hours of our species) we are not nocturnal! our planet sometimes goes into darkness.

Daylight savings time originally came from farmers to further grow their crops during the summer period extended by a few hours each time (turn your clock back/forward) etc...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yeah. Universal Time Constant would be the obvious choice for a one world time zone. (UTC)

But I guess it is because not everyone has a - e.g. 9 a.m. meeting, or time for work, etc., etc.... I suppose.

E.T.A - I agree, the daylight savings time needs to go. Not every region even recognizes it.
edit on 1/11/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Why wouldn't we want time zones? Human beings seem to work best with the 'normal' for AM for morning and PM for evening with sunrise/sunset being about the same on a clock anywhere in the world. Why break what has always worked? (Circadian Rhythm is also well known an established medical fact to work around,...not force adaptations to. Hard lessons learned in trucking and other professions have shown that)

As someone else said anyway... UTC or Universal Time based on London time already exists for things where crossing time zones makes choosing any particular one a problem?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
Yeah. Universal Time Constant would be the obvious choice for a one world time zone. (UTC)

But I guess it is because not everyone has a - e.g. 9 a.m. meeting, or time for work, etc., etc.... I suppose.

Yeah what might be day time to me, might be bed time (darkness)) to someone on the other side facing away from the sun...

I was taught this in grade school...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Daylight savings time originally came from farmers to further grow their crops during the summer period extended by a few hours each time (turn your clock back/forward) etc...
reply to post by roughycannon

Do you really believe that by altering your clock it will increase daylight to make the crops grow ?
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore" :facepalm:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I live in eastern Australia with daylights savings etc.

However I set my ATS timestamps for my posts etc to the timezone in AZ in the USA becuase that is where the servers are and under ATS T&C's were are all under AZ state and USA federal laws.

I'd like to recommend my fellow members do the same so that there is only one timezone on ATS.

If my fellow members are unsure of where to access that functionality ... it is on the TOOLS webpage of ATS [hint: click on TOOLS in top blue ATS button bar] OR they can follow this link ...

TOOLS [ATS]

And its directly at bottom of ones Basic Account Information text entry fields.

Personal Disclosure: And it is always midnight on the moon ok!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Dude what is with the
&
Personal Disclosure:
in all of your posts ?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

@ 12 o'clock the sun is over my head and it's time for lunch

also when someone says I was up til 1am last night... you can assume they were up late.
instead of finding out their location on a map and converting location and time.

edit on 13-1-2013 by Zeta Reticulan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Because if you had to send your kids to school, at 9 AM and 9AM was in the middle of the night... good luck for them, lol!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Dude what is with the
&
Personal Disclosure:
in all of your posts ?

Because, that's how he rolls...

DUDE!

Back on topic:

I hate daylight savings....It sorts itself out naturally throughout the year anyway without having to mess around with the clocks.
I hate it in the winter when you leave your house in the morning it's dark and when you come home it's dark, so depressing.

As for the globe having one time zone, kind of a silly idea for obvious reasons.

edit on 13-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join