It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Seize Rocket Launchers in buy back program!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I had posted this:

"I cant wait for the braindeads to add this to their arsenal of anti gun rhetoric."

and this

"Wait until they find out cannons aren't considered a weapon and are totally legal to own."

You replied to me with this:

"I hope you understand that they exacerbate this type of thing to validate their existence and activities, I would go as far as say that they probably do other actions to increase the number of weapons. The ultimate goal is to have more funds more personnel, more power and influence."

Yes I understand hype, thats why I posted what I did.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I simply framed the reason why they do what you stated. I may be missing something on translation but I do not see it as recapping your statement, simply because I added to it. I take plagiarism very seriously and try to give credit to sources a recapping is simple repetition (even if at times in condensed form).

PS: I do not have the particulars but I remember seeing something on a show that clearly indicates that there is a limit the type of cannons one can have in the US (can't remember the state on that episode probably Texas of California). There seems to be an exception to very old cannons. (I remember taking a mental note on that piece of information, they where doing field testing comparing civil war cannons with modern artillery).

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

As I look over at my shelf of odds and ends collected over a life of interesting stories to tell...I see a 40mm H.E. Grenade, a 20mm round, a 3 inch artillery shell and one standard issue pineapple fragmentation hand grenade. All just a few feet from where my fuzzy tail sits.

I guess these folks would consider my home to be a menace to the city, if not society as a whole!

Those things would be illegal to own in some countries and will be soon in Amerca.

Old stuff is considered dangerous. Even if it is not still used as a weapon.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
LAPD Seize Rocket Launchers in buy back program!

Great fear mongering here.

LAPD didn't 'seize' anything. Somebody got good money for a useless fiberglass tube

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Theyve pulled this crap in a few different "buybacks" over the years.

Same with inert grenades.

There is no logical reason that such a stupid and naive public should be able to control the parameters in which I live my life simply due to their numbers.

Most people are complete idiots with barely a high school education.

I wake up angry everyday knowing these are the morons who run my life. I'm a slave to the power of popular stupidity and I hate it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In the gun community, it's widely speculated, if not outright 'known' that these photo ops are entirely staged. If you know your firearms, look carefully at a lot of these pictures. They're filled with rare, very expensive WWII, Korea and Viet Nam era hardware. You'll also see a bunch of expensive, modern AR platforms and a bunch of nice newer 1911's. Please. They might get one or two from some kid who found one in his dead grandpa's closet, but that's over decades of buybacks and tens of thousands of turned-in firearms. It doesn't at all pass the sniff test for these to just miraculously show up at every single gun buyback ever. There's a very small number of these kinds of weapons (the military full-auto stuff) in circulation, they've been tightly regulated under NFA for a looooooong time, and the likelihood that somebody would have one and not know what it is is exceedingly remote based on their value and scarcity. Heck, there was a recent 'legit' turn-in of a Sturmgewehr 44 in Connecticut and it made national news. Now we're expected to believe that LAPD got literally DOZENS of rarer firearms and it's just business as usual? Pshaw. That AT4 trainer has been trotted out no less than a dozen or so times over the last few years. The LAPD, I think, is the worst. They have a small arsenal of these weapons that they've gradually procured over many decades and use them to stage these buybacks.

It doesn't play as well in the media to show barrels full of $50 nickle plated Lorcin POS small handgun crap (which is actually what they ended up with). The real emotional response they're after is attached to these so-called 'assault weapons.'
edit on 8-1-2013 by samcrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

I'll tell you what I'd be interesting in seeing before writing all those guns off as staged. I'd love to see the statistics for the LAPD. LA Sheriff's Office and the larger cities in both Orange and LA Counties on residential burglary and commercial burglary where weapons were involved from the 3-4 weeks prior to the buyback or however long they had it announced prior to it starting to the day it closed out.

How many are staged ...and how many were the very legal property of legitimate gun owners until recently stolen to cash in on the "no questions asked" way to turn each into $200 value for the average junkie or burglar? I always wonder on these. In a warped way it's actually a reason for the cops to do it. The criminals handle the gun confiscation for them.

edit on 8-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by samcrow

I'll tell you what I'd be interesting in seeing before writing all those guns off as staged. I'd love to see the statistics for the LAPD. LA Sheriff's Office and the larger cities in both Orange and LA Counties on residential burglary and commercial burglary where weapons were involved from the 3-4 weeks prior to the buyback or however long they had it announced prior to it starting to the day it closed out.

How many are staged ...and how many were the very legal property of legitimate gun owners until recently stolen to cash in on the "no questions asked" way to turn each into $200 value for the average junkie or burglar? I always wonder on these. In a warped way it's actually a reason for the cops to do it. The criminals handle the gun confiscation for them.

edit on 8-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I think there's a lot of that that goes on as well. There's also instances where firearms are seized as part of 'suspected crime' or warrants served on charges that are later dropped, but despite the owners being innocent the firearms take practically an act of Congress to get back. This happened to a close friend of mine. He took in a pretty troubled kid who was friends with his son. Kid got nailed on drug charges and made up a whole story about where he was getting his drugs that involved my friend. Cue huge drug warrant raid on his house and seizure of his small collection of hunting weapons, several of which were family heirlooms. No drugs or other evidence of any kind was found and the charges were immediately dropped, but it took him a lawyer and nearly $2000 worth of lawyer fees to get those firearms back. The police were GOING to keep those weapons, actual legal right be damned.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

It was nicer than me saying "no # Sherlock". Any cannon that doesn't use an artillery shell is legal to own anywhere in the US.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthereMost people are complete idiots with barely a high school education.

QFT. And, as somebody with an advanced degree who works with so-called 'intellectuals' every day, even the supposedly educated people are almost always complete morons.

There's a saying...."Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half the population is stupider than he or she is." My biggest problem with this gun control stuff is that we live in an age where it literally takes less than a minute and a few keystrokes to find out virtually anything about anything via the internet. Yet, here we are with a catastrophically stupid population gleefully proclaiming their willful ignorance. I just want to scream: They're magazines, not 'clips.' 'Assault weapons' are already tightly regulated. 'Assault weapons' is just a term anti-gun people made up in the 90's to push an entirely misguided political agenda.

"I don't know anything about firearms, but I know enough to take them away from you, Mr. Expert."

Sometimes, I think Churchill was right. The most convincing argument against democracy really is a five minute conversation with the average voter (and politician).

edit on 8-1-2013 by samcrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I'm satisfied with the "Yes I understand hype, thats why I posted what I did. " and fail to agree with your reaction to someone that was not repeating anything you stated and agreeing with your view point.

I did not call you an outright idiot because you failed to fully flesh your statement with the logic behind the hype and I took offense in your reply that was extremely badly formulated, as it implied a continued and intentional duplication of your inputs, what is false.

I don't think that I would be correct in assuming you understood the reasoning behind it (and expect also all the other readers to be). You also fail to consider both in reading my initial post, and your response to it, that we are in a public forum.

I normally react to people agreeing with me and attempting to be helpful to the point I'm defending in a public forum a bit differently. I don't see a point on exalting my superiority by attacking others in public for being inept in assuming what I know or don't know. That is a narcissistic trait.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoorKnobEddie

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have an inactive 30mm round from an A-10. It's etched to "SnuggleBunny" (yes, my nickname back in the 80's. Go figure)

Wonder if I could turn that in?

So your girlfriend was an A-10 pilot. Impressive.

I thought those rounds were spent uranium? or the core anyway?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

what if the aliens that show up barely have enough resources to find us and fight, like a battle star galactica type ship, u know weapons comparable ours, but obviously better space travel capabilities, if there invading we got home field advantage. although if they have energy based weapons we will probably be screwed
edit on 8-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mash3d
What I'm wondering about is how many classic firearms like M1 Garands, Enfields or other antique rifles were turned in?
Wonder if you could get in trouble for offering to buy certain rifles from people before they turned them in?
Technically if they are standing in line they still own the weapon and it's a private transaction just like at a gun show.
But the LAPD probably doesn't like anyone cutting in on their action.
Also makes you wonder how many are actually destroyed and how many end up in the hands of people that are friends with the police department. Or being resold by the department itself at a higher price.
Not saying that happens but what checks and balances are in place to prevent that from happening?

Yes, in another state a group of people stood across the road from a police buyback and offered to purchase the firearms at a higher rate. Technically not illegal, though the police did raise a bit of a stink and after a bit managed to get most of them to leave. However they did obtain a large number of firearms.

Also proving that most people aren't selling back to the police for the sake of cleaning up the streets, but to make a quick buck.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnmitigatedDisaster
Also proving that most people aren't selling back to the police for the sake of cleaning up the streets, but to make a quick buck.

There is the real issue we are facing now....
They just started a buy-back program in Seattle. Now watch break-ins rise. All of us are concerned with Congress passing a law when the real threat is the junkie down the street stealing your gun for a gift card.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Some of you are missing the point.
It is a weapon and it should be off the streets....why you could whack the heck outta somebody upside the head with that thang!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Originally posted by DoorKnobEddie

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have an inactive 30mm round from an A-10. It's etched to "SnuggleBunny" (yes, my nickname back in the 80's. Go figure)

Wonder if I could turn that in?

So your girlfriend was an A-10 pilot. Impressive.

I thought those rounds were spent uranium? or the core anyway?

The tip of the 30mm round is depleted uranium. It's not a big deal by itself. It just turns nasty when it becomes dust after hitting something like a tank. Practice rounds I believe do not use the depleted uranium and usually have a light blue tip. Of course don't go hitting one with a hammer if you have one laying around.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
A collector would have paid a lot more than two hundred bucks each for some of the stuff turned in. I wonder if the launchers got destroyed or if a cop took them home

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by cavtrooper7

what if the aliens that show up barely have enough resources to find us and fight, like a battle star galactica type ship, u know weapons comparable ours, but obviously better space travel capabilities, if there invading we got home field advantage. although if they have energy based weapons we will probably be screwed
edit on 8-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

Are you saying that the Alien cartel will cross the boarder from Mexico and attack us?
Texans have lots of guns

edit on 8-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Oh man, speaking of cannons, someone who was vacationing at this park made one out of a stove pipe and some concrete and blew up a basketball.

I wonder how the anti-gun nuts feel when there's reports of criminals being blasted to bits by your very own gunpowder canon, straight from the 1860s!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join