It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Seize Rocket Launchers in buy back program!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So i can go to the army navy store, buy some junk and hopefully get more money than what I paid for it? Sounds great sign me up

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I saw this sensationalist garbage story a few days ago. Those are AT4 TRAINERS. They were NEVER capable of firing a projectile.

How do I know? I used them in familiarity training when I joined the Army.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Police said the people who brought in the weapons told police that they came from family members who served in the military and no longer wanted rocket launchers in their homes, the Times reported.

Blaming the media, the police or the people cashing in on it?

I mean, if the police are going to pay you for items you don't want, why is this a bad thing? It sells papers, and no one here is being accused of anything nefarious?

But it's all too easy to take it and use it as a bashing post about your guns being taken away.

"Look ma, they said rocket launchers.."

so what! They ARE as described.

I think it's funny how this is all playing out.

And before all this.

As it turns out, these were not the first launchers to turn up at a gun buyback. Last May, when the event was timed for Mother's Day, one of these large firearms surfaced in Los Angeles.

Ahhh but go on about hoarding your weapons you legal law abiding upstanding gun owners. Build your fortresses against tyranny. Stopck up on cannon balls, I hear cannons are legal too.

If every single child in America is given a gun... well the ones left standing will know how to shoot.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I find it stupid that LAPD would seize a bunch of weapons and a couple rocket launchers when they should be, in reality, fearing the ones who can make them in their garage.

and how can one make a rocket launcher? For starters, Improvised munitions.

Most the people here, if not at all, heard of this manual, they've read it and thought it interesting and informative. I thought so, and it's nice.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well now if we were talking about actual weapons of any sort, there may be a case to be made. However, these aren't weapons. They are 100% inert, harmless decoration pieces if not being used for training. As the articles state, they cannot be reused or reloaded if they were live to begin with and it would seem...these were training units to start.

Aside from the blatant dishonest and political games played by holding these wall decorations up as anything like a weapon, we have what others already pointed out and a good point to make. They paid $200 each for these. I might give $50 for the novelty aspect but in this part of the nation...surplus demilitarized gear or dummy rounds/training ordinance is common and easily found in stores geared toward that general thing. If I'd known they were buying harmless junk and novelty items for good cash, I have family in the L.A. area. I might have sent them one of these:

Who knows what they could have gotten if they just removed it from the wood base and pulled the number off the pin. If that's like the one's sold here locally, it's a real grenade. The fusing unit is drilled and filled with lead as well as the body being drilled out the bottom and stripped inside. 100% harmless....just like the AT-4 display/trainer tubes they held up here.

So... A pure waste of money, resources and something I'd just about call a fraud (some may not qualify that at all) in even showing them as "weapons" confiscated. If the Police are to be trusted with valuable funds in such short supply right now, the least they could do is use them as intended and presented, eh?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Hold on there, your target audience would have NO idea.Just toss one on the table and watch em all flip out.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

the first thing i thought was who in there right mind would give up rocket launcher???????

illegal or not that is a prime piece of machinery, and if the aliens ever invade it would be necessary. lol

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7

Hold on there, your target audience would have NO idea.Just toss one on the table and watch em all flip out.

Yeah, that's true. I didn't even touch on how insane the press conference would have been had that been a REAL and live AT-4. Ummm.... How many military guys here would so casually handle a live tube with NO way of knowing where or how it had been stored all this time or what, if anything had been done to the mechanism or the rocket contained inside?

Shame on any of the reporters for even considering the idea it would be real....but as you note, it's a situation to consider the audience with sometimes. MSM never has been all that bright.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This happens where I'm from, but I'm surprised it occurs in America where gun knowledge is quite common.

It's not unknown for police in my country to confiscate airsoft or imitation weapons and have it on the 6pm news as 'massive gun cache siezed' or 'assault weapons found in customs'. On our gun forums we had a fun thread for a while where someone had ordered in m4 imitations and customs identified them as fully functioning.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Speaking as a military pro,we'll die.
Imagine a Zulu warriors best weapon thrown at an Apache helicopter and you get the idea.
Only we can't imagine the types of weapons that could be used.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Very unfortunate that these weapons were taken out of the hands of the people.

They will need them very soon.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Almost 1000 hand guns. I think that's kind of awesome. At least the people that turned those in won't be using them to rob a 7-11 or carjack.

I'm curious to see what other odd things turn up in future buy-back programs besides the apparently one time use grenade launcher and launcher demo item.

My thinking is that they're doing a good thing to get guns out of the hands of petty criminals, primarily. It's guaranteed money, where as committing a crime to get the same amount risks felony charges. We all want guns out of the hands of thugs and people with harmful intentions.

They were surprised at the launchers and it made headlines. I think that's ok.

Everyone says banning guns won't get guns out of the hands of criminals, which is a valid point. But the buy-back programs sure seem to be making a dent.

I agree msm sucks. They're a business and they do what generates dollars. Was it ever different or did they just stop being discrete about it?
edit on 7-1-2013 by PrincessTofu because: typo

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

They were probably owned by some cop.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
How about my mack daddy potato gun?

If I paint it black,it would scare a few people,and make for some tasty mashed potatoes,you know,throw some butter in there,maybe some chives and bacon bits.
You know,like hey neighbor,would you like a loaded baked tater?

BTW: not my gun,wishful thinking.

edit on 7-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

the first thing i thought was who in there right mind would give up rocket launcher???????

Jesus Doc, I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while. I knew you were good for something!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Yeah, nonsense. How do the police "seize" something that was turned in? And a training one to boot!

I came across a 155mm HE projectile at a VA up in Pennsylvania a few years ago, it was still live, and fuzed. They were not interested in turning it in to get inerted.

reply to post by beezzer

I have to here this story.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Thanks for recapping my posts

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
LMAO, we use these in airsoft converted for launching nerf foam 'rockets' at bunkers
they rig it to put a pressurized CO2 paintball gun tank in it, then launch the nerf rocket

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm sorry. Did the police chief say these "rocket launchers have no place in our great city"?

Kind of two-faced don't you think?

Patriot missile batteries in Turkey pointed at Syria.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Not the case and why the plural ? I sent you a private message.

What I said was simply common sense. The last time I head the same message was in regards to this video

Bruce Schneier on TSA

The TSA Wants To Be Everywhere In 2013 -- Here's Why We Shouldn't Let It

Not an attempt to derail the thread that may probably be over by now.

In any case I respond to the posts as I read I doubt that you had posted something on those lines before the post I replied to, if you did I'm sorry truly didn't notice it.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join