It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Seize Rocket Launchers in buy back program!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+85 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Catchy title isn't it? Gets everyone to come, click and read...huh?

I'm sure the LAPD figured it would too. That's probably why they used it as a headliner to their buy back program...despite the fact, this apparently never actually happened that way.

Here is how is was reported by some!

When Los Angeles police moved up their annual Citywide Gun Buyback program to this week, they collected an arsenal that included 75 assault weapons, 698 rifles, 363 shotguns, 901 handguns and — more surprisingly — two rocket launchers.

The weapons, essentially long metal tubes once capable of firing rockets, lacked the projectiles and parts needed to fire them, but even so had no place on the streets, police said.
US News at NBC

Cops get two rocket launchers in LAPD gun buyback

Two rocket launchers are officially off the streets of Los Angeles.
Source - UPI Wire

Gun buyback program in Los Angles takes 2,000 weapons off the streets - including two rocket propelled grenade launchers
Source - Daily News

Now...what really happened?

It turns out both were one-use, AT-4 grenade launchers used by the U.S. Army in anti-tank operations. Yes they are grenade launchers (not really "rocket" launchers proper) but these tubes are pre-packaged weapons that can be fired only one time and cannot be reloaded. They are one-shot only weapons. So, yes, that means the tubes the police had were completely and permanently harmless.

But even more absurdly, at least one of the tubes was a training piece and never fired a grenade and never could have. It was a device used only for showing young soldiers what such a weapon looks like. It is a hands-on training tool that is 100% inert, un-fireable, safe as a plastic kid's toy gun.
Source

As I look over at my shelf of odds and ends collected over a life of interesting stories to tell...I see a 40mm H.E. Grenade, a 20mm round, a 3 inch artillery shell and one standard issue pineapple fragmentation hand grenade. All just a few feet from where my fuzzy tail sits.

I guess these folks would consider my home to be a menace to the city, if not society as a whole!

To people with the level of knowledge and understanding of the material displayed by the MSM in reporting this? I suppose folks like myself are. You see...my little shelf of collectables contain demilitarized rounds and/or training shots. The 40mm grenade of Vietnam vintage has putty where the primer would be..for a training tool. The others are perfectly real....but likewise without charge and hollow. Much like these AT-4 Anti-Tank weapons were.

It's amazing what passes for news when the people writing it simply don't do any due dilligence any longer for verifying anything on a story.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I cant wait for the braindeads to add this to their arsenal of anti gun rhetoric.
edit on 7-1-2013 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

haha, that is a good one!!!

Terrorism: The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Only in Merika.......

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Woohoo someone turned in a useless fiberglass hollow tube. They didn't even classify our m203's as a sensative item cause where ya gonna get grenades from!

Gs

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Wait until they find out cannons aren't considered a weapon and are totally legal to own.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I guess I'm not terribly surprised they used sensationalism. Good find!

On a side note, this seems so wasteful:

It turns out both were one-use, AT-4 grenade launchers used by the U.S. Army in anti-tank operations... can be fired only one time and cannot be reloaded. They are one-shot only weapons.

An expensive weapon no doubt that can only be used once? I don't know much about military weaponry but I'd personally be more focused on cost-effect weapons that can be used more than once instead of discarded like a used tissue? No wonder we spend so much on the military budget? lol

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The media lies on a regular basis and the politcal left yawns because they're lies to advance an agenda they agree with. Look at all the anti-Fox threads we're treated to regularly by this group. Does the same group care at all that lies and spin on a main stay for Democrat dominated media?

No, they don't.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I have an inactive 30mm round from an A-10. It's etched to "SnuggleBunny" (yes, my nickname back in the 80's. Go figure)

Wonder if I could turn that in?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The reason we like the AT-4 even though it is a single use weapon is because it only costs about 1500$, and anyone who can read can operate one.

The alternative, the SMAW, is a guided anti-tank shoulder fired weapon. But it comes with a complicated firing system and a 15,000$ price tag.

Either will take out an armored vehicle, the AT-4 just has to be manually aimed. It's much more cost effective though.

And to the OP, good post. I think it's ridiculous how they spun this. You can buy used At-4's on ebay! They aren't illegal to own as far as I know.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah I saw this a couple days ago, thought it was in Oakland though.

Im surprised this took so long to get to ATS lol

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
"They" are coming for your guns.

Apparently "statistics" show that gun sales have sky-rocketed in the last few months.

Are you ready to Roll & Rock - because 'they" are.

I love you all.....prepare yourselves!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This smells so senationalistic.

It's LA for goodness sakes. How many inactive rocket launchers are laying around on studio backlots as props for movies?

Someone probably dropped them:

1. As a joke
2. To incite/anger/scare people into gun control.

And, since these devices can't be used anymore -- what was the point of showing them in the photos, other than to sensationalize the buyback.
edit on 7-1-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hey GUYS,knock it off 200.00 for inert tubes is a hell of a deal,don't teach them otherwise,That way vets can make some money turning these tubes in.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
What I'm wondering about is how many classic firearms like M1 Garands, Enfields or other antique rifles were turned in?
Wonder if you could get in trouble for offering to buy certain rifles from people before they turned them in?
Technically if they are standing in line they still own the weapon and it's a private transaction just like at a gun show.
But the LAPD probably doesn't like anyone cutting in on their action.
Also makes you wonder how many are actually destroyed and how many end up in the hands of people that are friends with the police department. Or being resold by the department itself at a higher price.
Not saying that happens but what checks and balances are in place to prevent that from happening?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I have an inactive 30mm round from an A-10. It's etched to "SnuggleBunny" (yes, my nickname back in the 80's. Go figure)

So your girlfriend was an A-10 pilot. Impressive.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So.....

They bought back two Tubes.......

I think every kid in the Midwest has potato launchers in their arsenal.........also!

S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoorKnobEddie

Originally posted by beezzer

So your girlfriend was an A-10 pilot. Impressive.

No, but the whole origin of "SnuggleBunny" is for a later thread.

edit on 7-1-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I hope you understand that they exacerbate this type of thing to validate their existence and activities, I would go as far as say that they probably do other actions to increase the number of weapons. The ultimate goal is to have more funds more personnel, more power and influence.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have a "Lazer" pointer that could be duct taped to a gun.
Maybe that should be turned in before it blinds someone........

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Great title, got me to look, was a little disappointed at their find. I was actually expecting something from the WWII era like the German Panzerfaust or a good old American Bazooka.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join