It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts In 2012

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wheres the rest?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by idl3d3m0n

Wheres the rest?

Part 2 Posted

Cran

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
wow pretty amazing,the full size house would have been more impressive if it was a human house and not something a goldfish would live in .
also isnt there seven dna strands or am i missing something?.

good thread enjoy your kip .
thats nice way to make a one liner longer miss curios if he didnt have a kip you would never have gotten to post .
speaking of cut and paste where did you cut and paste your profile pic from?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Decent list, I read part 2 also (not sure why you broke them up); but a lot of these things were never science fiction, some are only a partial step. Overall these are things that have been in development since before 2012.

Much of the recent technology simply came about by research & development, absent of any piece of fiction to previously envision it. Some were spontaneous discoveries (planets & multiple star solar systems). I don't see how spacecraft/probes constitute fulfilling sci-fi. The flexible gorilla glass is only one little piece to the entire emergence of flexible/transparent smartphones. Just because MC patented the "holodeck" doesn't mean they have or will achieve it anytime soon. There's still a great deal of technology to be developed & advanced in those fields (BCI's, holography, sensory simulation, AI, physically accurate rendering, etc).

Some other examples that should be on your list are: www.scanadu.com... The coming age of personal medical "tricorders".

The www.oculusvr.com... for making VR a consumer-grade reality.

Advances in quantum teleportation/communications. And so much more.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
*Double Post*
edit on 6-1-2013 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by idl3d3m0n

27 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts In 2012
edit on 6-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Great thread, I had no idea about a few of these things having been successfully achieved. I'm interested in learning more about #9, how far have they gone with this?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Nice selection.

God particle. I guess. They had to come up with something for all that money.

The robotic limbs seem to have some promise. Especially in rehabilitation and military. Could be the beginning of the mobility vehicle for artificial intelligence.

Gotta love the silk thing.

DNA. They were right. It is a spiral.

Have to watch out for stem cell and fountain of youth therapy. Did you catch the part about it being baby mice that were providing the stem cells for the old mice?

That printer for housing, et' al I hope it's not resource intensive.

The others I can't reference and I don't remember. But I'll get back to them, and the rest of the 25.

We've come a long way baby Could be we have truly started a new cycle and didn't notice it. Humans, about to step up.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

While some of these are amazing feats, Higgs-Boson was never fiction, it was theoretical. Very different. I also take issue with the invisibility cloak, as that is a doctored image and not real. Some of these achievements are truly extraordinary though.

Higgs-Boson was more of a colloquial theory than a scientific theory until recently. And since they didn't -actually- create it, it sort of still is science fiction.

Whatever you need to tell yourself so you can sleep at night. The fact is it was never colloquial. The higgs boson was a central piece of the Standard model, and if it did not exist the world of physics would have been turned on its' head. They did -actually- create it, with a confidence of 99.999999999%. Not only is it not science fiction, it's no longer theory, it's science fact.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarterthanyou
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

lol you think if theyre currently showing the military their working models they're going to put in on a website for you to see before they've even got the contracts signed?

She did bust your balls this technology has been in the works for over a decade.

Seriously, I have no idea what your problem with comprehension is. Let me take you by the hand so you can hopefully not make yourself look dumb in the future.

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
I also take issue with the invisibility cloak, as that is a doctored image and not real.

My claim, these are photoshopped pictures, so we have no idea how well the actual product works. Could work perfect, or could have serious kinks still.

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Don't mean to bust your balls mate.

invisibility cloak

They are claiming the photos are NOT doctored, NOT photoshopped, and are actual photos of the product being demonstrated. This is categorically false.

Then you jump in and 100% support MY position by saying they are NOT showing the real product, while taking her side that they ARE showing the real product. So congratulations, you contradicted yourself completely in barely a two line statement. Might be an ATS record.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What happened to part 2?

Was it invisibility cloaked?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Great !! The only thing I ask is for a development on batteries, If only my laptops battery could last for a couple of days without recharging...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by RAY1990

As for all the stuff on this thread guys if you look it up you will see a lot of it is in testing stages but non of this is lies. They are all real projects

Indeed!

In fact one of them is available right now to the consumer!
I WILL be purchasing one

Emotiv Brain Computer EEG Headset
edit on 6-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

At Last .. Finally It looks like i'll get the chance to try out my new tinfoil hat

edit on 6-1-2013 by the2010apprentice because: smiley error

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

There was actually a thread here about a month ago about scientists testing Vitamin D to restimulate hair follicles on rats or mice, and it was working. Now their trying to get it working on humans. I give it 5 years tops and you should have your hair back.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Some of these technologies seem more like a curse then a blessing! With the way our world is going I expect these so called break throughs to first be abused, then percieved as a curse, until we finally turn our backs on all technology!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom

Some of these technologies seem more like a curse then a blessing! With the way our world is going I expect these so called break throughs to first be abused, then percieved as a curse, until we finally turn our backs on all technology!

If that is what you actually expect I feel sorry for you.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Fictions that became facts in 2012 My top twenty five

your 25? hmmm didnt i see this whole post word for word ,picture for picture and link for link on buzzfeed? lol

27 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts In 2012

edit on 7-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
What a disappointment this is. Just some new shaait posted with no source to back up it was ever mentioned in any sf classic. In this context everything has been science fiction and anything can be made into a thread like this. How boring is that!

Next time I want book titles, authors, quotes and links. I want those books. I need those books!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
wow a diamond planet.. is that for real? and can they be sure?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
wow a diamond planet.. is that for real? and can they be sure?

They are very certain. It's not one giant diamond. It's simply MOSTLY made up of crystalline carbon (what a Diamond is) due to pressures on the planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join