It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Burglars Say Newspaper’s Gun Map Would’ve Made their Job Easier.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ex-Burglars Say Newspaper’s Gun Map Would’ve Made the Job Easier, Safer.

The information published online by the Journal-News, a daily paper serving the New York suburbs of Westchester, Rockland and Putnam counties, could be highly useful to thieves in two ways, former burglars told FoxNews.com. Crooks looking to avoid getting shot now know which targets are soft and those who need weapons know where they can steal them.

I'm still not convinced that a criminal is going to risk burglarizing a home in order to steal a gun knowing he might get shot in the process.

What was the point of disclosing this information in the first place?

Was it intended to cause some kind of panic among gunophobes? "Oh my gosh, look at all those gun onwers!?" And then what, they start to slap each other in a mass panic?

I'm just trying to understand how the gunophobic brain works.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

A similar thing happened in NSW, Australia, where a bunch of gun owners details were accidentally leaked through certain channels.

It turned out that all the people on the list were more likely to be burgled BECAUSE of the presence of firearms.

It seems that firearms are a golden target to some degenerate types.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Of course it would have. Anyone with a functioning brain in their head would know that. But that's not the point, is it? The idea is to demonize guns and gun owners for the sole purpose of passing gun confiscation legislation.

As much as I hate ambulance-chasing lawyers, I hope a savvy one files a class-action suit against this paper on behalf of both gun owners and non owners for placing them in danger. Shut this paper down for good and put these idiots out of work.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
professional burglars stake out a place first. they will pick easy targets and wait until no one is home.

even have teams following the owner and radioing or cell phoning back when the owner is about to return home.

their job is to steal your valuables, not kill you, get shot or get caught.

publishing this information is like zagats hottest restaurant guide for burglars.

a burglar would most likely target the gun owners because they can't be sure the other home owners now armed themselves because their house was on the same map.

and now the gun owners home and their weapons are a prime target for gun sellers and could potentially lead to someone getting killed because a burglar about to rob a gun owners home would carry a weapon also just in case he shows up.

edit on 4-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
if a burgler would rely on this info on whether or not rob them thinking they don't have a gun then likely that is why he is an ex-burgler...

I have guns and none of them are registered and I am on no list of people with guns.

If I was to burgle someone I would prefer to burgle someone with guns so I can steal them, I would just make sure they are gone since you dont burgle someone who is home anyways that would be stupid so they having a gun really makes no difference since they will not be there to use them on me.

As well as I do think its stupid for papers to write anyones personal information for any reason without their permission, the information is available to anyone but the paper didn't need to make it that much easier to get the info..

I am sure the people at the paper wouldn't want their home address published for any reason.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

that's a good point, that information could be entirely wrong. a truly professional burglar wouldn't go by that info. and ignore it completely.

but if they like a challenge, it is a starting point.

either way they shouldn't make it easier for people intent on robbing.

edit on 4-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join