It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going To London in a couple of months

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
that's cool I'd love to see a real mummy, I'm just going by myself but the hotel I am staying at will be the Andaz I've had to postpone the trip until the first of August.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Do my favorite London walk. Get the tube to Borough, get off and walk towards the Embankment of the River Thames. Then head towards Westminster bridge. You'll see Shakespears Globe and the Tate Modern and the wheel.
Once you get to the Bridge, cross the Bridge so you will be on the side with Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. From there head up towards Trafalgar Square where you can go to the National Gallery, which is my favourite tourist attraction in London. If you go at the right time that walk will take you past the changing of the guard.

I've done that duck tour thing, which is quite fun as you enter the Thames next to the Mi6 building, but as Dave said, you do feel a bit of a plonker driving around in a yellow bus boat.

Have a nice stay and don't be afraid to head east or even south of the river.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
yeah I'm going to work on that, I've never been out of the country before and I know I will be there for 13 days but it's just hard for me to imagine how much time that really is.

how far is that walk? I wouldn't mind seeing big ben and stuff and I usually walk everywhere anyway.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

It's probably a couple of miles, but I find it takes in some of the best scenery with something always to see along the way.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

It's probably a couple of miles, but I find it takes in some of the best scenery with something always to see along the way.

yeah, what I wanted to do is get dropped off at one place and kind of explore it I'd probably wander alot and get properly lost. When I go to Vegas I usually just walk up and down the strip, I think the last time I was there I walked about 10 miles the first day I was there. I usually lose 5-10 pounds on vacation.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Well londons a great city to walk around. A surprise around every corner. It's steeped in culture and history. Most museums and galleries are free of charge and there's normally a few good pubs to help break up the walk.

I moved from London 5 years ago so my memory on names isn't great. I would suggest Kensington Place as a fish restaurant. It's over in Notting Hill, which is a vibrant part of London.

The tube is also a great way of getting around. Black taxis are expensive and usually come with an opinionated driver.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
saw some interesting things on the menu, I'll have to try it out. Sometimes I feel kinda bad because I'll order a bunch of stuff just to try it but not eat it all. I will honestly order like 4 or 5 things on the menu just to try them out.

The other thing I saw on a few menus what is Rocket sauce I think they called it?

With me staying at Andaz and having a tube right underneat the hotel I'll probably be taking the tube to alot of places. Taxis will hopefully be minimal, I want to say from the airport there is about a 30 minute drive. I found a private car transport for I want to say $25 that I am going to take.
edit on 14-2-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
well I wasn't able to go, I honestly didn't think it would take this long to get a job. But I finally did get hired about a monrh ot so ago and I have been out on 2 jobs, then even better news is that I got a second job so I should have enough money in about 5 months if I save everything to go. I plan on going in June for download I think it is whatever music festival is in June.

I'm going to start getting my passport maybe next month or later this month, and I should be off, I do have to find a way to put the entire price of the trip on my credit card. I also need to start acquiring british pounds which may be a problem but we will see.

So the set time for me now in in June and I can't wait, I can start planning stuff again.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

This is a good site for planning festival itinary. www.thefestivalcalendar.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

sandman441

The other thing I saw on a few menus what is Rocket sauce I think they called it?

"Rocket" is a salad leaf. One site says that the American name is "arugula".

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

teapot

This is a good site for planning festival itinary. www.thefestivalcalendar.co.uk...

cool, I will have to check that out in a few months, Still planning for June it depends on if I have the money or not, it may be a month or two after but definately soon.

DISRAELI

sandman441

"Rocket" is a salad leaf. One site says that the American name is "arugula".

oh ok, that's good to know, I also found kind of a place that sells jellied eels? I kind of want to try them but at the same time I kind of don't.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I was bought up in the East End of London so I supposedly should love Jellied Eels. Let me tell you, they are absolutely 100% disgusting

Pie and Mash with liquor however is the food of gods. You will have to go to a non tourist place to find a proper Pie and Mash shop though.

This one is in Walthamstow market (The market mainly sells fruit and cheap clothes) and is from the 30's

If you go to Walthamstow market you can also hear Cockneys shouting for people to buy Bananas

They will also sell you Eels if you really want (stewed and Jellied)
edit on 30/9/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Jellied eels are the most revolting foodstuff known to man.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

davespanners

I was bought up in the East End of London so I supposedly should love Jellied Eels. Let me tell you, they are absolutely 100% disgusting

Pie and Mash with liquor however is the food of gods. You will have to go to a non tourist place to find a proper Pie and Mash shop though.

I am all about trying to get the most authentic experience I can so I am going to have to try that place and I'm glad you said the market too because I have not heard of that one. I will probably absolutely hate the jellied eels but it's kind of like a I'm glad I tried it but never again thing.

I had to cut back a bit on my travel expenses but I found a pretty nice hotel/apartment and tickets are running me about $4500 and for 2 weeks that's not bad at all. I think I fly delta/lufthanasia airlines. I saw that I could get there in 12 hours with Condor Air and I looked up the airlines and apparently it's pretty much a you pay what they tell you airlines, it's cheaper and faster but if anything is over weight (which my bags will be coming back) it's easier to fly and pay a little more and have a 14 hour flight (I will probably like the 2 hour layover in seattle I think it is anyway after being in a plane that long).

I turned my passport stuff in yesterday which was a bad time seeing as the government is shut down now, it may or may not affect my passport time but it's atleast a month or two out probably, the thing that really opened my eyes as to why most americans don't have a passport is the cost, I had to get a copy of my birth certificate which was $30, then I needed 2 copies actually which I went to kinkos and just copied it for .50 cents, then I had to pay $15 for 2 3x5 pictures for the application, then a $25 administration fee so that the post office can process it, then the $140 for the passport and booklet. Then the lady was really rude when I went in because I forgot the extra copy of my birth certificate, and they wouldn't take a credit card for payment so I had to get a money order, and it was really just a huge hassle. and the passport website and the post office had different rules I guess, the website said you could pay with a credit card and they wouldn't let you. But it's in that's the most important thing.

I also got a tablet that I will be taking with me, I am going to have a list of the things I am going to do and markers as to where they are.

My other choice for hotel was the radisson blu edwardian kenilworth hotel but I think I am going to go with 196 bishop gate, bishop gate is next door to a Tesco, there is a tube across the street I believe, and there is a market right up the street.

Freeborn

Jellied eels are the most revolting foodstuff known to man.

haha not sure about the most revolting but I'm sure it's top 10.
edit on 1-10-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

sandman441

My other choice for hotel was the radisson blu edwardian kenilworth hotel but I think I am going to go with 196 bishop gate, bishop gate is next door to a Tesco, there is a tube across the street I believe, and there is a market right up the street.

That is right across from Liverpool Street which is a giant tube train and bus station.
The market is Brick lane. Part of that area is known as Bangla town as it is full of Indian Restaurants and a huge Bangladeshi community then around the corner is Brick lane market itself which is a hang out for most of the uber cool uber fashionable young people (You will see some truly bizarre outfits if you are lucky on Sundays)

There are two amazing Bagel shops there, real proper authentic Bagels that are heavenly

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

davespanners

sandman441

That is right across from Liverpool Street which is a giant tube train and bus station.
The market is Brick lane. Part of that area is known as Bangla town as it is full of Indian Restaurants and a huge Bangladeshi community then around the corner is Brick lane market itself which is a hang out for most of the uber cool uber fashionable young people (You will see some truly bizarre outfits if you are lucky on Sundays)

There are two amazing Bagel shops there, real proper authentic Bagels that are heavenly

oh ok cool, I thought that area looked familiar, somebody mentioned the brick lane market I think, There was a bagel place I think was also mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it was beigal bake. I have to go back and get my list again, I should have it still but have to do alot of research again.

I am still hoping to go to Bath and maybe a few other places too.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

davespanners

I found this place M. Manze which is I think the original or something it got really good reviews,

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

That one is probably good too, haven't been to it though

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

davespanners

That one is probably good too, haven't been to it though

it has good reviews on urbanspoon and yelp. when I do research for restaurants I just go on urbanspoon and check their menus and reviews. I'm not really picky on what I eat but am picky enough to where I have to know what they have.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

This is somewhere I always meant to go but never got round to. Looks like a good place for traditional British food and it's pretty historic

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join