It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going To London in a couple of months

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Oh you guys use the British Pound and not the Euro correct?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandman441

yes

pound sterlin (£)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by sandman441

yes

pound sterlin (£)

ok, hopefully I can find some here, I do have to say one thing, I know everybody says that food and stuff is expensive there but it's about the same price (within $1 or $2) as it is here.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If you get the tube to South Kensington, you can do the Natural History Museum ( worth it just for the beauty of the building ), the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Science Museum all in one go - and all are free (donations welcome of course.)

Also, for a fab night out try Soho - great, lively atmosphere - you can easily get theatre tickets for some great West End productions, all within walking distance of Soho and China town.

Ooh ooh and don't forget Westminster Abbey, right on top of Trafalgar Square - over a thousand years worth of history right there.

enjoy!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironorchid
If you get the tube to South Kensington, you can do the Natural History Museum ( worth it just for the beauty of the building ), the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Science Museum all in one go - and all are free (donations welcome of course.)

I haven't been to the Science Museum yet, but the other two I concur, are essential stops. The Natural History Museum in particular. It is a 'cathedral' to the life sciences and decorated accordingly, inside and out...you'll get a crick in your neck from looking at the wonderful illustrations on the ceilings!

The V & A shouldn't be missed...whole building frontages carved in marble...and the oriental rooms are breath-taking.

Plus it is great area of London, wealthy, but very cosmopolitan/mulit-cultural...and seriously, the people are so very, very beautiful looking round there. It can be somewhat unnerving, like finding yourself walking through the pages of a glossy mag...

My favourite place though, mentioned repeatedly already, is the British Museum. I'd like to move in
I visit every time I go down to London, and spend a few hours there...I still haven't explored it completely to my satisfaction.

Continuing on the freebies theme...the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery are worth a peek if you are in the area...or enjoy art...they have a really great collection of impressionist paintings at the National...amongst many, many others...

Also, London Zoo is worth a visit (although somewhat pricey), and if you do that on the same day as you plan to go to Camden Market you can get the barge-bus from Regents Canal to Camden Lock

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Also, for a fab night out try Soho - great, lively atmosphere - you can easily get theatre tickets for some great West End productions, all within walking distance of Soho and China town.

Ooh ooh and don't forget Westminster Abbey, right on top of Trafalgar Square - over a thousand years worth of history right there.

enjoy!

Natural History Museum kinda looks cool I might have to do that. The victoria and albert museum I might just go to see the building, though there might be some interesting things inside, Just not really an art fan.

I think I am going to Soho for something, I lost alot of stuff when I restored my computer, I thought google earth would save it and it did not.

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

I haven't been to the Science Museum yet, but the other two I concur, are essential stops. The Natural History Museum in particular. It is a 'cathedral' to the life sciences and decorated accordingly, inside and out...you'll get a crick in your neck from looking at the wonderful illustrations on the ceilings!

The V & A shouldn't be missed...whole building frontages carved in marble...and the oriental rooms are breath-taking.

Plus it is great area of London, wealthy, but very cosmopolitan/mulit-cultural...and seriously, the people are so very, very beautiful looking round there. It can be somewhat unnerving, like finding yourself walking through the pages of a glossy mag...

My favourite place though, mentioned repeatedly already, is the British Museum. I'd like to move in
I visit every time I go down to London, and spend a few hours there...I still haven't explored it completely to my satisfaction.

Continuing on the freebies theme...the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery are worth a peek if you are in the area...or enjoy art...they have a really great collection of impressionist paintings at the National...amongst many, many others...

Also, London Zoo is worth a visit (although somewhat pricey), and if you do that on the same day as you plan to go to Camden Market you can get the barge-bus from Regents Canal to Camden Lock

When I started to do reasearch on what I wanted to do in London, I honestly had no idea it was so big, I have a bit of a skewed view anyway because I live in Alaska and basically you can get through the city by car in about 30 minutes or so. Then if you want to go north there's only 1 highway, you want to go south there is only 1 highway, You can't really get lost here. I've been to Other states and to Canada once but usually everything is within walking distance except like amusement parks and stuff. In Vegas the strip is 3 miles long I believe and you can walk up and back down it in a few hours.

Then you see London and it's 600 miles long and that is basically from my house here to pretty much to the top of my state (within 100 miles I think and I know from here to Fairbanks is like a 6 or 7 hour drive so to get 600 miles from Anchorage it's like a 10 hour drive.

I want to get a cell phone there too, I think pay as you go is going to be the best best thing for me, But who is the best company? I think I will have AT&T by the time I go and I don't think there is an AT&T store there, I think there is T-mobile but we don't have a T-mobile store here. I don't think I need a smart phone just something that if I need to call somewhere or somebody I can.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

Just walk into the first phone store that you come across and they will sort you out, in my experience, they are all much of a muchness...or go to a Tesco store (food/supermarket) and buy a pay as you go off the shelf...you can get top-ups anywhere, from ATMs to newsagents....

Now, I would also like you to consider, since you are going to be in the UK for almost two weeks, venturing out of London. As wonderful and exciting etc as London is, I could not stay there for two weeks if my life depended upon it...and you have some amazing place within very easy reach...especially when you compare it with the US. For example, in five hours or so, you could be in Scotland...or in 2 hours and 15 minutes, my home city of York (same rail link by the way)...

en.wikipedia.org...

Or alternatively, closer to London, you have Hampton Court...

www.hrp.org.uk...

A great deal of London is merely urban sprawl, and therefore it is not really worthy of exploration. We are a small island, and have a great deal to offer if you are willing to be a little more adventurous and venture a little further out.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So much has already been said.
I would echo what somebody said about parks. If the weather's at all good, find time to relax in, say, Hyde Park
If you want to get around London effectively, get yourself a map of the Underground system, and try to get to know the different lines (colour-coded), because they'll take you anywhere you want in the centre. The most important part for you is probably the area within the Circle Line.
A tip- if you want the underground railway system, don't follow a sign which says "subway", because that means something different in England..

edit on 12-1-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
no ones mentioned greenwich ' grenidge'
where time was invented , greenwich parks real nice too , blackheaths nice , id go there and straight back coz if you wander youll either be in africa ' lambeth, lewisham, new cross, deptford '' det ford'' elephant and castle, peckham,
bermondsey and london bridge and southwark ''suvok'' ok near river, go past eltham and its pikey ' pie key' badlands ,

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Did you mention food?

Try some traditional Cockney pie, mash and liquor

The best places in London serving that great cockney comfort-food staple, pie and mash, plus the increasingly hard-to-find jellied eels
www.timeout.com...

You didn't mention art but there is something a little off the wall on at the Wellcom Foundation (big pharma
)

Death: A Self Portrait
This dead good exhibition features 300 ancient and modern artworks and artefacts exploring the iconography of death, all gathered together by Chicago-based print dealer Richard Harris. Works range from Inca skulls and a chandelier made from plaster casts of bones to rare prints by Rembrandt, Dürer and Goya.
www.timeout.com...

Also, if you are in Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery houses Da Vinci's Virgin on the Rocks. An astonishingly luminous painting with an aura of peacefulness that is almost impossible to define.

You also did not mention beer!

The next CAMRA www.camralondon.org.uk...(Campaign for Real Ale) festival is next month (not sure when you are visiting, the festivals run all year) Get to sample local breweries wares for free!

Battersea Beer Festival

The 23rd Battersea Beer Festival opens at noon on Wednesday 06 February 2013 and finishes at 11pm on Friday 08 February 2013. batterseabeerfestival.org.uk...

And you did mention music.

London is, of course, the capital of live music, home to numerous state-of-the-art venues and the gamut of passing megastars. Diverting though it is to see household names disport themselves in one of our stadia my personal ideal remains something smaller, more intimate.
www.standard.co.uk...

(the above is from a blog that is a couple of years old but the venues themselves are still standing!)

Enjoy your time in London; she is a beautiful city, vibrant and diverse and alive.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

Just walk into the first phone store that you come across and they will sort you out, in my experience, they are all much of a muchness...or go to a Tesco store (food/supermarket) and buy a pay as you go off the shelf...you can get top-ups anywhere, from ATMs to newsagents....

Now, I would also like you to consider, since you are going to be in the UK for almost two weeks, venturing out of London. As wonderful and exciting etc as London is, I could not stay there for two weeks if my life depended upon it...and you have some amazing place within very easy reach...especially when you compare it with the US. For example, in five hours or so, you could be in Scotland...or in 2 hours and 15 minutes, my home city of York (same rail link by the way)...

en.wikipedia.org...

Or alternatively, closer to London, you have Hampton Court...

www.hrp.org.uk...

A great deal of London is merely urban sprawl, and therefore it is not really worthy of exploration. We are a small island, and have a great deal to offer if you are willing to be a little more adventurous and venture a little further out.

That's cool on the phones. I know here it all depends on who you have. I don't think 1 provider has coverage all over Alaska. the 3 biggest companies are really good at coverage and as long as you are going to the most popular places you should be fine most of the time. There are dead spots though where nobody gets a phone signal

no I agree but for me I have never been out of the country before and it's hard to I guess imagine having time to go to the other cities. I do want to go to Bath, and there are other cities I want to see in the UK too but I think for now atleast I want to stay in London just so that next time I know I will have time and I guess see how travelling abroad is. Cause Jetlag will probably slow me down it's I think a 9 hour difference so I'll be kind of a zombie the first few days. My plan is that this will not be my last trip, I do want to go to Ireland and Scotland and for that I think I can for a week in each country. But it's not that I don't want to go out of London it's just I don't know time frames and it's hard for me to know everything because I don't want to be rushing everywhere either.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

So much has already been said.
I would echo what somebody said about parks. If the weather's at all good, find time to relax in, say, Hyde Park
If you want to get around London effectively, get yourself a map of the Underground system, and try to get to know the different lines (colour-coded), because they'll take you anywhere you want in the centre. The most important part for you is probably the area within the Circle Line.
A tip- if you want the underground railway system, don't follow a sign which says "subway", because that means something different in England..

edit on 12-1-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

I will have to look around and see if I can find one. Maybe when I order my oyster card I can see if they will or can send me one. I did know about the color coded lines, I saw it on a tv show and she kind of explained it. I've never been on one before so it will be interesting. seeing subway shouldn't be a problem I've never seen one before and just have a vague idea of how it works in new york so saying subway I think of the sandwich shop.

Originally posted by misterbenjaminallannewman
no ones mentioned greenwich ' grenidge'
where time was invented , greenwich parks real nice too , blackheaths nice , id go there and straight back coz if you wander youll either be in africa ' lambeth, lewisham, new cross, deptford '' det ford'' elephant and castle, peckham,
bermondsey and london bridge and southwark ''suvok'' ok near river, go past eltham and its pikey ' pie key' badlands ,

why is that? isn't pikey like a gypsy? I saw lock stock and 2 smoking barrels. Just because I'm not around it alot I sometimes have a hard time understanding accents. When I was in Vegas I had this server who was from Ireland, he was cool but I had a little bit of a hard time understanding him.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

Did you mention food?

Try some traditional Cockney pie, mash and liquor

The best places in London serving that great cockney comfort-food staple, pie and mash, plus the increasingly hard-to-find jellied eels
www.timeout.com...

You didn't mention art but there is something a little off the wall on at the Wellcom Foundation (big pharma
)

Death: A Self Portrait
This dead good exhibition features 300 ancient and modern artworks and artefacts exploring the iconography of death, all gathered together by Chicago-based print dealer Richard Harris. Works range from Inca skulls and a chandelier made from plaster casts of bones to rare prints by Rembrandt, Dürer and Goya.
www.timeout.com...

Also, if you are in Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery houses Da Vinci's Virgin on the Rocks. An astonishingly luminous painting with an aura of peacefulness that is almost impossible to define.

You also did not mention beer!

The next CAMRA www.camralondon.org.uk...(Campaign for Real Ale) festival is next month (not sure when you are visiting, the festivals run all year) Get to sample local breweries wares for free!

Battersea Beer Festival

The 23rd Battersea Beer Festival opens at noon on Wednesday 06 February 2013 and finishes at 11pm on Friday 08 February 2013. batterseabeerfestival.org.uk...

And you did mention music.

London is, of course, the capital of live music, home to numerous state-of-the-art venues and the gamut of passing megastars. Diverting though it is to see household names disport themselves in one of our stadia my personal ideal remains something smaller, more intimate.
www.standard.co.uk...

(the above is from a blog that is a couple of years old but the venues themselves are still standing!)

Enjoy your time in London; she is a beautiful city, vibrant and diverse and alive.

I did mention food and I thought I listed a few restaurants but I could be wrong. Like I said in another post I had a bunch of restaurants but kind of lost them all except for a few so I have to look through my list again. I'm not sure about the jellied eels but I'm up to try any traditional british food. I don't want to go to England and eat Mcdonalds for 2 weeks straight, I'd probably die if I had to.

Art I don't have a problem with and for me the older the better so that actually sounds cool. The new stuff I'm just not a fan of at all. Especially if they say alternative art because I get a picture of like horse turds in the middle of the floor and somebody calling it art.

Beer I don't drink so not a huge deal to me. I wouldn't mind trying a guiness but probably 1 sip and will be good with that. I have a problem with the smell and taste of it, It just makes me feel sick. I did try imported german beer once and surprised I didn't throw up. Music is good I want to go to camden market I think it is where they have alot of music stuff and then also there was a street mentioned (I'll have to look it up I thought I put it into google earth and I must not have) that there are alot of guitar stores in that one area. Oh and if I do get to go in June I will be going to Download. I thought I had a good chance of getting an airline job, I didn't get it as they were a little concerned with my college degree that I just got. But I think I have a good chance of getting a job that is Coming up in April that is for my degree and I should have enough money in about 2 months, if I don't have enough I will be going in August which looks to be alot cheaper and probably not as crowded.

oh one of the places I wanted to go to was A. Golds which is apparently one of the last Briish Deli I think they called it. It looked pretty awesome and had alot of hard to find British food/items.
edit on 12-1-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I honestly don't think much of your itinerary but you won't go wrong if you divert to Windsor Castle for a day.

Forgot to mention the British Museum. Skip Buckingham Palace and St. Paul's Cathedral.
edit on 1/13/13 by Obsrvr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr
I honestly don't think much of your itinerary but you won't go wrong if you divert to Windsor Castle for a day.

Forgot to mention the British Museum. Skip Buckingham Palace and St. Paul's Cathedral.
edit on 1/13/13 by Obsrvr because: (no reason given)

I think the tour to Bath is going to windsor castle I believe. Like I said I'm not against going to other cities in the UK, It's just that I don't know if I will have the time basically. I have never gone out of the country before and it's kind of a big unknown to me.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I've been to London loads of time and there's always something I haven't seen yet... The list is quite long but I'll try and keep to a minimum
Tower of London, BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle, Chislehurst Caves, British Museum, Science Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not! London, etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mashup10
I've been to London loads of time and there's always something I haven't seen yet... The list is quite long but I'll try and keep to a minimum
Tower of London, BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle, Chislehurst Caves, British Museum, Science Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not! London, etc.

how is ripleys believe it or not? is it kind of a rip off like madame toussads?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
There's some good places to visit in London, most of which have been mentioned by other's - Camden Town is my favourite - but to be honest it gives a bit of a skewed impression of England and the UK.

I understand why tourists flock to the place and I'm sure you'll have a great time, just a shame you can't spend more time out in the 'regions' experiencing what the rest of our nation has to offer - there is much, much more to England and the UK than London.

Oh, and don't try jellied eels, they are truly disgusting!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
There's some good places to visit in London, most of which have been mentioned by other's - Camden Town is my favourite - but to be honest it gives a bit of a skewed impression of England and the UK.

I understand why tourists flock to the place and I'm sure you'll have a great time, just a shame you can't spend more time out in the 'regions' experiencing what the rest of our nation has to offer - there is much, much more to England and the UK than London.

Oh, and don't try jellied eels, they are truly disgusting!

yeah, like I said I'm not against seeing other places and there are other places I do want to go to. It's just that I don't know time tables and I don't want to be rushing everywhere. I do plan on going to Ireland and Scotland and when I do come back to England It will be to another city. I plan on going overseas 2-3 times a year, So this will not be my last trip to England. If I get this job I think I am going to get in April it pays well and has a somewhat unusual schedule, I will be working for 2 weeks straight and then I get to come home and relax for 2 weeks. So taking time off and stuff won't be a problem.

If I do feel that I have some extra time to spend I might hit up another city there too.
edit on 14-1-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Any couple going to honeymoon in London city. London's top 10 most popular attractions, according to visitor numbers. there have London Eye, the National Gallery and Tower of London etc. Highlights include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures, and the mummies in the Ancient Egypt collection. They have many beautiful hotel, resort, casino in nearly airport. Nearly hotel on running 5 minute you going market. There have lot shopping mall, i-nox and entertainment place. If you want any discounts to honeymoon package London is most popular city satisfy with customer. So, you coming London select the entertainment hotel.

www.sdrapartments.com...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Sotojonathan because: Because, i am add one link

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join