It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New countdown: Dec 26th, 2013, C/2012 S1

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpactoR
reply to post by eyeinoz

In 2012 large sunspots have been observed. While sunspots are usual occurence, some of them were big. Together with a cometh flying near the Sun, it may trigger something enourmous.

It's also the coming of the solar maximum peaking in 2013, think what it may mean with a comet on the front. ANYTHING is possible!

Massive solar flare 'could paralyse Earth in 2013'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Scientists eye large, newly discovered comet that might crash into the sun in 2013

You don't know what this may cause!
edit on 31-12-2012 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

no..........just...........no............for the love of all that is good.......stop...........

People waited many many many years to see if this would come to fruition.....

Now that it hasnt, you guys are moving to the next "big thing"

The Mayans rocked a 5 thousand year old troll........you cannot best them...........STOP........

edit on 1-1-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Another fairy tale by the "lightworkers!" Well, now we need a new forum.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Another topic which is yet another testimony to our broken educational system. Our society is utterly dependent on science yet so few people understand science...

Yes people, the big bad comet will crash into the sun and will create a mega splash that will reach earth and utterly burn it up!

Read some science books. Or wikipedia. Then you'll realize this will just be a nice sight and nothing more.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

Yes, I am sure you haven't studied Astrronomy as I have to speak to me about education. My point is that around all these events, you never know when something may happen that may affect Earth, it doesn't have to be a direct impact with the planet.

But those for whom everything is so simple, we will talk again and I will ask again and say 'nothing will happen' when one day there is an actual threat whether this 2013 or another year.

P.S I am testing your reactions, though I was familiarizing myself with the event since I had no idea the trajectory of the comet until I started this thread.

So far the results show me: Ignorance - being certain that nothing will happen ever or that it will happen in millions of years because some encyclopedia blah blah says so.. lawl. Nope, any of these cosmic events could affect us, we just don't know when..

Admitting you have no knowledge of something to happen is better than being certain in nothing will happen, certainty based on nothing
edit on 3-1-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Halley's Comet back in 1910 passed a LOT closer to Earth than C/2012 S1 will. We even passed through it's tail it passed so close:

The 1910 approach, which came into naked-eye view around 10 April[57] and came to perihelion on 20 April,[57] was notable for several reasons: it was the first approach of which photographs exist, and the first for which spectroscopic data were obtained.[13] Furthermore, the comet made a relatively close approach of 0.15AU,[57] making it a spectacular sight. Indeed, on 19 May, the Earth actually passed through the tail of the comet.

Of course, even back then people were saying bad things would happen:

One of the substances discovered in the tail by spectroscopic analysis was the toxic gas cyanogen,[74] which led astronomer Camille Flammarion to claim that, when Earth passed through the tail, the gas "would impregnate the atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet."[75] His pronouncement led to panicked buying of gas masks and quack "anti-comet pills" and "anti-comet umbrellas" by the public.[76] In reality, as other astronomers were quick to point out, the gas is so diffuse that the world suffered no ill effects from the passage through the tail.[75] The comet was also fertile ground for hoaxes. One that reached major newspapers claimed that the Sacred Followers, a supposed Oklahoma religious group, attempted to sacrifice a virgin to ward off the impending disaster, but were stopped by the police.[77]

So break out those Anti-Comet pills!

Seriously however, there is not much to be concerned about. The only real danger any comet can threaten us with would be an impact and right now C/2012 S1 has a non-existent chance of impacting with us.

As for hitting the sun: There have been plenty of Sun Grazing Comets. It won't have much affect on our massive sun.

Even if our Earth were to hit the sun, the sun would barely notice it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yes, I am sure you haven't studied Astrronomy as I have to speak to me about education. My point is that around all these events, you never know when something may happen that may affect Earth, it doesn't have to be a direct impact with the planet.

But those for whom everything is so simple, we will talk again and I will ask again and say 'nothing will happen' when one day there is an actual threat whether this 2013 or another year.

P.S I am testing your reactions, though I was familiarizing myself with the event since I had no idea the trajectory of the comet until I started this thread.

So far the results show me: Ignorance - being certain that nothing will happen ever or that it will happen in millions of years because some encyclopedia blah blah says so.. lawl. Nope, any of these cosmic events could affect us, we just don't know when..

Admitting you have no knowledge of something to happen is better than being certain in nothing will happen, certainty based on nothing
edit on 3-1-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

Wait so because I point out that our established science completely excludes "anything out the ordinary" happening to Earth due to this comet you're calling me ignorant and point out other things that we don't know of can impact Earth?

Do you hear yourself? Seriously you sound like a typical 2012er. When the precious prediction failed y'all started screaming that it wasn't what it was predicted but rather something else which will still come and destroy us all at an uncertain time!

Well I can make those kinds of predictions too, and science is on my side. I can tell you with absolute certainty that in around 4-5 billion years (who cares what the exact date would be, you 2012ers couldn't get it right either!) the Sun will expand and burn up all the inner planets, including Earth. And anything that's gonna be alive at that point will die!

OK now go back to school. Or the principal's office cuz you're being a little know it all. Get some after-hours detention to catch up on logic and how you can't prove a negative or blame others because they can't!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
eh, I'm tired of countdowns, let's just call it off and go on with living

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

Just can't hop off that doom bus you're riding, huh?

There is nothing to say that comet (or cometh as you say) will hit the Earth at all.

It's farther away then Venus ffs.
edit on 1/4/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It reminds me of a Nostradamus quatrain

When passeth the date given
And transpireth naught save sighs
Cometh a cometh
It snow tail farteth on the earth

or another

Aye partieth a prince like twas 1999
The world endeth
But lo, if not, 2012,
But lo if not then, no longer delve

For lo the cometh cometh
farteth snow on earth
polar smell envelope earth
And put us in wintry spell

Now it is 2013, really? Natural disasters happen all the time and sometimes they are global -- and unrelated to anything but chance.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
Well I can make those kinds of predictions too, and science is on my side. I can tell you with absolute certainty that in around 4-5 billion years (who cares what the exact date would be, you 2012ers couldn't get it right either!) the Sun will expand and burn up all the inner planets, including Earth. And anything that's gonna be alive at that point will die!

OK now go back to school. Or the principal's office cuz you're being a little know it all. Get some after-hours detention to catch up on logic and how you can't prove a negative or blame others because they can't!

LOL! SO this is your 'scientific' approach? Who is know it all, again? How can you say what will happen to the Earth billions of years ago (THEORY and that's it) when the planet could be long gone in hundreds or thousands of years? See, I have been a kid too, I have read in encyclopedia too, the Earth will burn/die/whatever in billions of years blah blah blah

I say let's think in shorter term, also I was speaking of the general certainty with no base 'Nothing will happen FOR SURE any time soon' - really? Guess you want to be one of those with this look on your face

and all the close-minded scientists you join?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret

LOL! SO this is your 'scientific' approach? Who is know it all, again? How can you say what will happen to the Earth billions of years ago (THEORY and that's it) when the planet could be long gone in hundreds or thousands of years? See, I have been a kid too, I have read in encyclopedia too, the Earth will burn/die/whatever in billions of years blah blah blah

I say let's think in shorter term, also I was speaking of the general certainty with no base 'Nothing will happen FOR SURE any time soon' - really? Guess you want to be one of those with this look on your face

and all the close-minded scientists you join?

OK you win.

And that's why it's pointless to argue with religious fanatics or 2012ers.

To end this on a positive note, one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite scientists:

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Carl Sagan

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Or quit making assumptions about me. I never believed 2012 because I am objective and unlike the close-minded scientists you join, I am open for possibilities of unexpected things. For 2012, NASA's explanation made sense and there was nothing in the sky, so unless that was a spaceship or something from within the Earth that no one can predict, it was clear nothing from the things that can be observed would happen,

I learnt more of this comet arrival and what was the possibility for threat, it is indeed nothing alarming based on the path it would go.

However, we are now talking about also a fact I do not argue - that something will happen with the Earth in billions of years. However, you have to be very clueless to think that something will happen with the Earth in billions and until then nothing can happen... I mean is this what you are telling me? That's laughable.

If you want real threats to the Earth, ok expect it in 2028-2029 and that is unless some more recent threat emerges. For asteroid and its path, it has been told by my Astronomy professor who ofc got the info from NASA. So, again you must be from the ones belittleing when something can happen.

Not to say of the weather changes and such..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I never believed 2012 because I am objective and unlike the close-minded scientists you join, I am open for possibilities of unexpected things.

"Closed-Minded Scientists"

I'm curious.

Do you consider that because someone is a scientist and uses the Scientific Method, that they are "closed minded" ?

Do you actually think that scientist never consider the possibility that they may be wrong about something, or that completely unexpected results can happen?

Do you consider someone "closed minded" if they say: C/2012 S1 has a very low probability of causing any harm to the Earth, based upon other comets, scientific data, orbital mechanics and a multitude of other scientific fields that contribute data on this event?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

The biggest irony is it is those who scream "closed minded!" the loudest all to often are extremely closed minded themselves. Rather than entertain alternative explanations deduced from objective empirical evidence they would rather live in wilful ignorance and choose instead to believe unsubstantiated (and often demonstrably false) explanations simply because they confirm to their own personal bias. If we look at the definition of closed mindedness we can see that the glove fits rather well:

closed-mind·ed
[klohzd-mahyn-did]
adjective
having a mind firmly unreceptive to new ideas or arguments: It's hard to argue with, much less convince, a closed-minded person.

edit on 6-1-2013 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

Why? Why on earth do you feel the need for this thread?

I don´t get it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Do you actually think that scientist never consider the possibility that they may be wrong about something, or that completely unexpected results can happen?

Do you consider someone "closed minded" if they say: C/2012 S1 has a very low probability of causing any harm to the Earth, based upon other comets, scientific data, orbital mechanics and a multitude of other scientific fields that contribute data on this event?

Yes there are such scientists, and since I explained I myself do not think the comet will bring anything, unless it coincides with something else, done by the sun, etc. smth no one expects. So based on that and I said what I think of the cometh, I was just quoting sources at firsy, what do you think? Am I considering those who dont think the comet will cause anything close-minded or are you just twisting my words? You are doing the second...

Yes there are very close-minded scientist in the scientist community, those who belittle things when they can happen.

And if we talk about close-minded people, I am not one of them sorry, I know when there is a real threat and when not. Close-minded people like the one above telling me how the Earth will die in billions of years and I was asking - what makes him certain about the next DECADEs and centuries it cannot happen? I can list you asteroids with possible impact in just the next decades.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Yes there are such scientists, and since I explained I myself do not think the comet will bring anything, unless it coincides with something else, done by the sun, etc. smth no one expects. So based on that and I said what I think of the cometh, I was just quoting sources at firsy, what do you think? Am I considering those who dont think the comet will cause anything close-minded or are you just twisting my words? You are doing the second...

Yes there are very close-minded scientist in the scientist community, those who belittle things when they can happen.

And if we talk about close-minded people, I am not one of them sorry, I know when there is a real threat and when not. Close-minded people like the one above telling me how the Earth will die in billions of years and I was asking - what makes him certain about the next DECADEs and centuries it cannot happen? I can list you asteroids with possible impact in just the next decades.

First: why do you keep spelling Comet "cometh" ? Just curious really.

2nd: You may not be closed minded, but now you are assuming something by saying that I am trying to twist your words when:

1) You are not me.
2) You have NO idea what I'm thinking when I post.

Stop doing it.

As for the person claiming that our planet will be around after the next decade:

Planets are pretty hard to kill once they have formed. Some of the best ways to "kill" them would be:

Falling into a star.
Being impacted with an object of large enough density and mass to completely shatter it.
Being consumed by a very high gravity field like a black hole.

Our planet was suppose to have been hit by a Mars sized planet right after it first formed, and that impact resulted in the moon, and of course: our planet still being here.
Our planet has been impacted by meteors ranging up to hundreds of kilometers wide, several times, AFTER life got started here.....and guess what? Both the planet, and life is still here.

Based on what we know, and what we can see right now: there is no very large impactor headed our way. That could change. Sure. Tomorrow we could discover a Venus sized rogue planet that is headed our way (but will take decades to get here).
But for now, as of right now, today, there is no such thing, so based upon that, I can also say that there is a high probability that no "Earth Ending Event" will be happening in the next decade or so.

We aren't moving closer to the sun.

There are no black holes near us.

Tomorrow a super plague could spring up and completely kill all humans. However, today, there isn't one, and we've had many, many plagues before and have survived them.
But even if one did pop up tomorrow that would kill all humans with 0 chance of surviving it, the Earth would still be here and so would all the other life. The World itself would not end, it would just be curtains for humans.

But again, while that could happen, might happen, the history of what we've been through shows that we'd survive.

I'm glad you are not worried about this comet. But then, if you are not worried about it, why start a thread up about it in the 2012 forum in the first place?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
To worry about an known things is acceptable and reasonable. To spread panic and fear without scientific facts, based only on our own fear is absolutely wrong and punishable.
A lot of things may happens to earth not from space,but from earth surface or underground. The science is not yet able to foresee earthquakes or volcanic eruptions. The potential of some of the known volcanoes might risk the life on entire earth, but still the people's fear is much more related to the risk may come from space. And I believe the reason is because we know the space less than our Mother Earth.
The scientist have discovered and are monitoring the trajectory of the ISOON. We know that the mathematic allows us to calculate the trajectory based equations and known variables. But, the question is: we know to solve the equation of the trajectory,but, do we know all the variables? I think not, and because of that this thread should continue,but not to spread panic and claim for the next doom.
I have almost read all the info in ATS and web about ISOON, but no where I have seen the return period of this comet to earth. Does any one know it?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join