It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New countdown: Dec 26th, 2013, C/2012 S1

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Since the Mayans turned out to be n00bs and nothing happened, not even their Gods descending, let's have a new countdown, hoping that this time, there will be something that will get the attention of people all over the world.

Dec 26th, 2013

C/2012 S1 has been spotted and like every cometh en route to the Sun, this one will be quite close and spectacular (if it doesn't burn much before).

en.wikipedia.org...

On closest approach, the comet will pass about 0.072 AU (10,800,000 km; 6,700,000 mi) from Mars on 1 October 2013, and it will pass about 0.42 AU (63,000,000 km; 39,000,000 mi) from Earth on 26 December 2013.

io9.com...

What if something goes wrong and it gets closer or its current distance has effect on Earth? Or will someone descend already, as most of such astronomical events have been related to Gods coming?

I say let's have a new countdown to transition or whatever else!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
umm... that's not even close, and why are you fear mongering?

Why not countdown to Feb 15?

2012 DA14
Feb 15
0.09 LD
57 m

2012 DA14 is a near earth asteroid with an estimated diameter of about 45 meters and an estimated mass of about 130,000 metric tons.[3] It was discovered on February 23, 2012, by the OAM Observatory, La Sagra in Spain (J75)[1] seven days after passing 0.0174 AU (2,600,000 km; 1,620,000 mi) from Earth on February 16.[2] Calculations show that on February 15, 2013, the distance between the asteroid and Earth will be 0.09 LD (35,000 km; 21,000 mi).[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Still what they achieved with their calendar was none the less amazing for people of that era . Just because that people after them made up elaborate explanations for a simple calender that we have achieved ourselves that kind of exactness with our technological feats of the modern era we live in now .

Still it is funny to watch people and their theories on this calender

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

The comet is far from Earth but what if it does something to the Sun, or its particles do something on passing near the Earth? It's definitely a DATE to BEHOLD. At least it has ground, not like Dec 21st 2012.

As for the one you posted, I am sorry but what is one pathetic piece of rock going to do? Yes with the force F measured in Newtons it can be quite an impact on the Earth but even if it were direct, it would be destroyed with a missile, it's only 45 meters and such a minor thing should not be mentioned as a threat.

edit on 31-12-2012 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpactoR
C/2012 S1 has been spotted and like every cometh en route to the Sun, this one will be quite close and spectacular (if it doesn't burn much before).

On closest approach, the comet will pass about 0.072 AU (10,800,000 km; 6,700,000 mi) from Mars on 1 October 2013, and it will pass about 0.42 AU (63,000,000 km; 39,000,000 mi) from Earth on 26 December 2013.

And yet Venus' orbit is 26,000,000 miles at its closest to the Earth. (67,000,000 miles vs 93,000,000 miles) So we're supposed to get upset by an asteroid that will pass by about 1.5 times further out than Venus????

edit on 12/31/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

Isn't this in the wrong forum?

Get the mods to open up a 2013 forum. While you are at it, you could ask for 2014-2020 forums as well to keep the really forward thinking happy.

As it stands, personally, from where I'm sitting, we only have 3 hrs 25 min to prove that the 2012 forum was a bit of a waste of cyberspace.

Saying that, the midnight fireworks are going to put the sh!tters up me this year

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

reply to post by retirednature

The comet is far from Earth but what if it does something to the Sun, or its particles do something on passing near the Earth? It's definitely a DATE to BEHOLD. At least it has ground, not like Dec 21st 2012.

As for the one you posted, I am sorry but what is one pathetic piece of rock going to do? Yes with the force F measured in Newtons it can be quite an impact on the Earth but even if it were direct, it would be destroyed with a missile, it's only 45 meters and such a minor thing should not be mentioned as a threat.

My apologies, you're 100% correct. This is a "DATE to BEHOLD".

Let us all pray that nothing happens.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the ATS community. We now have sufficient time to prepare.

Again, Thank You.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

more fearmongering bullsh8t
get real

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eyeinoz

In 2012 large sunspots have been observed. While sunspots are usual occurence, some of them were big. Together with a cometh flying near the Sun, it may trigger something enourmous.

It's also the coming of the solar maximum peaking in 2013, think what it may mean with a comet on the front. ANYTHING is possible!

Massive solar flare 'could paralyse Earth in 2013'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Scientists eye large, newly discovered comet that might crash into the sun in 2013

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

You don't know what this may cause!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
might = big if = maybe not

If, if's and buts were raisons and nuts, everyday would be christmas, but they aint!!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

And yet Venus' orbit is 26,000,000 miles at its closest to the Earth. (67,000,000 miles vs 93,000,000 miles) So we're supposed to get upset by an asteroid that will pass by about 1.5 times further out than Venus????

edit on 12/31/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Should be something to see if it survives. Hopefully it does and puts on a good show. I quoted you so that it could be seen again...I'm still chuckling about it.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Comets often crash into the sun, its nothing to worry about, some survive, but generally speaking aren't anything to write home about.

Oh, my mistake...

Astronomers predict that the comet will pass just 1.16 million miles from the Sun as it swings around its perihelion, or closest approach. (This may seem like a lot, but remember—the Sun is big. If we were to scale the Sun down to the size of Earth, the comet would pass well within the orbits of dozens of satellites.) The close approach will melt enormous amounts of the comet’s ice, releasing dust and gas and forming what should be a magnificent tail.

Ahh, pretty.

But that's not all...

After it loops around the Sun and forms this tail, the comet should then pass relatively close to Earth—not near enough to cause any worry, but close enough to put on a great show. Viewers in the Northern Hemisphere will get the best view as the comet blooms in the weeks approaching Christmas 2013. The comet could grow as bright as the full moon.

Cool, so just a nice light show.

Source

Something to look forward to, no doom here folks!

Wow, did I just get my Phage on ?!

edit on 31-12-2012 by solargeddon because: Add source

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

You underestimate nature too much. There is no such thing as 'nothing WILL happen' maybe it needs to happen to show those STRAIGHT ghey scientists they can be wrong, for nothing is absolute, it is all RELATIVE.

It's also the peak of solar activity, why are you so ignorant, is it all so simple to you?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am a scientist and I say a large - a humongous one I could say - comet will bounce off the sun, pushing it closer to the Earth and because of the climatic changes all over the world, flatulence will increase a thousand fold and whoever will survive the rivers of puke will be burned and ripped apart when the earth will explode, because the atmosphere will be replaced by large quantities of methane and sulphur through the phenomenons described below ↓
The above mentioned HUGE comet, after bouncing off the sun will bounce off Venus, Earth, and after swoosing away the whole atmosphere will bump Mars on its way to crash into Jupiter while taking its place in our neighbourhood. Following the terrifying shock, the whole crust will move and Gondwana will be finally reunited, except Japan who will be pushed into the Antarctic continent and Scotland who will simply cease to exist.
If you start now pulling your hair and screaming in desperation while running chaotically in circles, it may be of some help.
All this has been written millions of eons ago in a very secret cave - so secret, nobody knows where it is, but me - and after decades of research of almost two weeks I decyphered it yesterday.
UGH, how I despise this junk, and I despise those propagating it.
I even hate myself for writing all this nonsense...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I don't anticipate anything happening to the Earth in my lifetime, but I really appreciate people posting their ideas and theories. I am looking forward to the show next Christmas!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

My prediction is coming true!

Bit early though

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks mate

edit on 1/1/13 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Since the Mayans turned out to be n00bs and nothing happened, not even their Gods descending, let's have a new countdown, hoping that this time, there will be something that will get the attention of people all over the world.

Dec 26th, 2013

en.wikipedia.org...

io9.com...

What if something goes wrong and it gets closer or its current distance has effect on Earth? Or will someone descend already, as most of such astronomical events have been related to Gods coming?

I say let's have a new countdown to transition or whatever else!

Hahahaha

It's sooooo far away I can't believe it's even managed to produce a discussion here on ATS. Like the guys above me have pointed out already, there's bigger fish to fry!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Really,i flat-out refuse to worry about things like this.Its not like there's anything we can do about it,you or me.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

No nothing is absolute in this existence, apart from you are very much wrong with your appraisal in this instance.

You have only recently joined, so I will cut you a break in why you think it is ok to single me out to be referred to as "ignorant," when virtually everyone else is saying the same thing....Nothing is going to happen.

I think you will find it is you who needs to hit the research, and save the fear mongering for something worthy.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Looks can be deceiving. I only changed my name. I am longer here than you think.

The cometh is far away from the Earth, I am saying that if there was a hit in the sun, it could matter for our space weather... and when it comes to the February 2013 - it is my turn to say, nothing will happen with a piece of rock 45m in diameter that can be shot in the air.

My message is - don't say something will not happen, something may happen when you don't expect it even if at first you judge only by how it looks at first.

Also the coming of comet was often times in the past associated with the belief of something coming to the planet. When talking about descending of Gods, this happening with coming of comet makes much more sense than Dec 21st 2012.....

Thus, whatever happens, better count days for this year as well, for something spectacular to happen.
edit on 1-1-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join