It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Patience? Patience vs waiting in vain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My grandfather used to love fishing, and as a young boy he would often take me along. He told me, "the most important thing when fishing is patience". This always stuck with me, since it could apply to many things in life concerning our wants, needs, and heart's desires.

Before going further, let's examine several common definitions of what patience is.

-Patience;

A. the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset

B. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

C. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience

Several times through life I have lost things because I wasn't patient, but other times I lost because I was "too patient". How does patience apply when waiting on answers or actions from Father/God?

At what point do we know we wait in vain, or that we need to take actions of our own? I know many will say, "pray and ask Father". But since God does not usually speak to us literally through words of a human mouth, then we are left to discern and "Feel".

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
There is no such thing as waiting in vain, only not believing with the whole heart. To truly believe with the whole heart is to have found patience.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I do not find this to be correct. To believe with your whole heart would be to have found, "faith". Though faith and patience may be interlinked, they are two separate things. This is not the meaning of patience.

reply to post by chadderson

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You cannot have patience without faith my friend.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

How does patience apply when waiting on answers or actions from Father/God?

That answer has so many variables. Father could be holding word/action based on his tests. He could await for you to pass a milestone, such as a date, meeting someone, or visiting a place where others are not around. Or, it could be something simple as you realizing something on your own, (not solely on self, sometimes he places ideas/thoughts there, but is waiting for you to bring it to the surface).

After said thing has been met, then he will give what is needed. In doing this, faith is made stronger.

At what point do we know we wait in vain, or that we need to take actions of our own?

I have watched many, and to date, I have not seen one fall away because of them not getting the answer/word by a certain time frame.

For instance, you apply for a certain job, and Father gives you word that you will get said job. But, two weeks have passed, and you hear nothing from the job. So, you move onto another employment that hires you right away. But, come to find out, the original job just wanted you to call them back and you would have gotten hired. Their basis for this, is that they wanted to see who really wanted the job and takes the initiative to go beyond what others would normally do.

Does that make Father a liar, not at all. But, he told you, that you needed to call said job, but you did not call them, because you thought it was your own mind.

Maybe, Father is just waiting on you to do something, that he has given to you on the inside, and not via other means.
edit on 31-12-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ok i see what you're asking, how does one recognize the sign from our creator that tells us we are or are not exhibiting patience?

Say youre fishing, you are determined to catch one, you tell yourself 'i will fish until i make a catch'. You are telling your creator that he has your faith, and will let nothing deter you from fishing until you catch one.

Say a storm blows in, you are forced off the water. Did you give up? No.
Say night time falls upon you, you are unprepared for darkness, you are forced off the water. Did you give up? No.

These are examples of how you can tell on your own that you were honoring patience, as it was not you're 'choice' that took you off of the water, it was an extenuating circumstance brought on by our creator. Stick with it, you may feel hunger, but you will be rewarded.

Edit: And by 'stick with it' i mean, pick up where you left off the next day for instance, without being discouraged or giving up.
edit on 31-12-2012 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Good food for thought. Still many variables involved, but something to contemplate on for now.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think Prayer is one thing but that is only asking the question for help, I think in most cases God gives you the
abilities to do most things yourself.
If you spend all your time in Prayer, might be time to go out and make that thing happen itself.
As for patience that seems a lot like waiting, and not much like making something happen.
We are all in control of our own destinies, I dont believe waiting in prayer is the answer.
Ask the question by all means, but get out there and fight for what you want.
Whoever said Patience is a Virtue, may not have ever succeeded in getting their wishes fulfilled.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Everything is a variable except your heart/mind and your understanding that everything you are witnessing is given to you by our creator. Find the non-variables and hold tight, the rest will follow.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Then again, Something worth having is something worth waiting for. So often I am too impetuous to my misfortune.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Sometimes has to do with what we 'think' we desire being mixed up with what we 'need'. I feel u though.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
A hah!

This is a very good question my friend. I would say that there comes a point in every persons act of patience where he knows when to act. Whether he responds to the knowing when the time is right may take practice, it will come easy for some as well. The art of expressing patience is all about this moment. There is a very tiny window of time between when the fish is just tasting the bait and when he tastes the hook, it is between these two points in time when a good fisherman knows to draw his pole.. How does he know when the time is right? He just feels it, the same as a single bird that moves as one with his flock.

Your grandfather was a wise man.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Either you have the patience to allow the horse to get thirsty enough to drink the water or you can lose patience and take other action...there are unseen consequences for both and they can sometimes lead to the same result either way.

Eventually, patience wears thin when dealing with "horses" and the decision to act changes direction.

The real question is who has the expectation and who is responsible for patience?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
You know, the more I read on this site and converse with others posters I wonder if this is not some 21st century version of the Greek Forum and if we were born a few thousand years earlier we'd be sitting around in togas talking all metaphysical.
Anyway, I am off to Party! as it is just on 7pm in Melbourne.
I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year and will catch up in 2013.
Now where did I put that toga?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jameliel

At what point do we know we wait in vain, or that we need to take actions of our own? I know many will say, "pray and ask Father". But since God does not usually speak to us literally through words of a human mouth, then we are left to discern and "Feel".

It's pretty funny that you wrote a thread about patience

It seems as if you are fishing for an answer, so take heed to your grandpapa's words.

God does speak to us audibly through human languages... The question is, will one have faith that He will if you ask earnestly?

At what point do we know we wait in vain, or that we need to take actions of our own? Well, certain scenarios are different, so the answer is going to be relative to your situation.

Darn, just when you thought the fishies were nibbling

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I feel you contributed nothing to this thread except your own assumptions.

reply to post by DelayedChristmas

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The etymology of the word provides some useful insights. This probably isn't the best link for it, but it's what I found quickly:

Etymology of the word "patience"

What I find most interesting is the theme of suffering, which makes sense considering that when you go to the doctor, you are a "patient" and probably in pain or with a significant level of discomfort. "You need to be patient" could be translated as "Shut up and take your lumps like everyone else".

Ah, language is fascinating.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jameliel
I feel you contributed nothing to this thread except your own assumptions.

reply to post by DelayedChristmas

What assumptions? No ill-intent behind my words. I thought it was funny and I was trying to lighten up the mood because I was talking to you before about patience.
edit on 31-12-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join