It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Face of True Beauty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is a wonderful, heart-warming account of resilience, courage and true beauty to the core.

The societal and peer pressure that is mounted on todays younger generation to comply with an ideology of what is deemed acceptable, is truely frightening... MSM and the social media is sadly littered with stories of youth that have succumed to the perceived, unbearable thought of non-acceptance or not being able to "fit in".

Bravo Olivia.

Olivia Hotschilt - The Face of True Beauty

theTelegraph

Five years ago, at age 12, Olivia refused to look in the mirror. She had cut off all her hair, was self-harming, stopped eating and wanted to disappear. Things are hard enough for girls in a perfection-driven world, but when you are born with a facial deformity life can be extremely cruel.

She has posted photos of her transformation pre- and post-surgery, daily blogs on acceptance and beauty, and numerous You Tube posts with followers worldwide...

..."I've had a few trolls," Olivia adds, almost proudly, "but if anyone disses me, I have an army of supporters that jump on them," she laughs.

I laughed along with her here.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i try not to laugh too but the younger generation isn't afraid going to work still but what still gets me about people is how we'll change and adapt to whats around.. but its all words not first hand experience...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Olivia is a true beauty inside and out; she is teaching (those that pay attention) about all the different forms of beauty that there really are; and there are many.

Beauty is not just in the pages of a fashion magazine etc.

A lot of people forget about the beauty of the mind, soul, and spirit; the inner beauty of a person; that kind of beauty lasts!

edit on 29-12-2012 by caladonea because: correct spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is the reason I am currently in school. I want to go into neonatal genetic research so that problems like this can be corrected before the child is ever born. Perfect babies for all and to all a goodnight!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sad what her mother said about the way people would talk about her in earshot ive seen that alot working with disabled young people. i worked with a gorgeous little lady whose face hadn't fully formed so she had a sealed eye and cleft pallett one of the other parents sat right next to her and said " oh thats friggin terrible that,little girls are supposed to be so pretty." i felt awful having to point out that A. she isnt deaf and B. the ugliest person in the place was the gob#e flapping her lips i was absolutely furious especially considering the rude cow had a disabled child herself you'd think she would be more aware of how societal judgement can hurt. bit uncomfortable about the perfect child for everyone comment in here though even though its coming from someone who wants to help. i think the point is she got a perfect child society is what is at fault.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by glassspider

I suppose that is a good point. I never really thought of it like that. Maybe the child was perfect and society truly is the monster. Good point. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lucifersghost

Yeah i tend to work from the social model when i work with young people which rather than looking for cures or "special" schools we see people as disabled by society and work to make regular youth centers or schools more inclusive. i understand your comment was about helping people and not being offensive . be well

new topics

top topics

join