It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light-powered magnetic levitation could create 'new class' of solar energy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Keep in mind I said virtually no energy, compared to using a standard electric or internal combustion motor. I don't think there is anything like "free" energy, but who knows, something like this can potentially be a much more efficient method of transportation somewhere in the future.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

but it is not magic or a new form of energy

Don't worry, once the free lunch crowd gets their hands on the concept they will 'develop' antigravity spaceships that power themselves for 1000 years off this technology. Surprisingly, there will be no independent tests to back their claims, but, lo and behold you can buy plans/components to their apparatus for only $89.99+Shipping.

Rofl

and rofl

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avgudar
Maybe it could use the heat generated by a car braking to power a battery in a solar powers car? It would make up for some of the loss, would it not?

As do generator brakes linked to the wheels now.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Sweet.

This is cool and electromagnetism is where the solutions to our energy problems lie, but the problem is how to get useable work from this.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkins
Sweet.

This is cool and electromagnetism is where the solutions to our energy problems lie, but the problem is how to get useable work from this.

Great step forward I agree but I think the best step forward now is to combine the many new discoveries (and old tried and tested tech) to create the next generation of technology that can be used for things like travel and powering other devices.

We are now at a point where manufacturing is getting more stable and cheaper, with things like the 3D printer I am sure some smart people out there could workout how to combine the technology for some really cool inventions that benefit humanity...

However all this stuff has a dark cloud and that is the military and the current corporate complex that will not allow such new discoveries to flourish if they cannot profit from it (otherwise we would have seen more discoveries like this getting funding and being used in the public).

With this particular tech I agree with another poster, lasers need energy however if they can make it work with something low powered like a DVD laser they could achieve good results but you also have the matter of heat that will be generated and which needs to be controlled and redirected somewhere (away from the source). If you are also using the surface to conduct electricity (which they might for sensors and circuitry) then you also have the many issues that come with electrical circuits that need to be dealt with.

Low power, high output is the way to go e.g. low input power and interaction producing a larger output e.g moving something large or being highly productive as a result.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is brilliant! Good find op! I never thought that light could be applied to make magnets react in such ways. Since I did a report on superconductivity I know how revolutionary it would be to have room temperature superconductors but this is astounding! This will revolutionize everything

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Very cool stuff, I can see this some day being used for a bunch of stuff, by itself its nothing all that special but used in conjuncture and as a component with other things and machinery it probably would have a bunch of uses if they really thought it out. I mean a spinning magnetic disk that is powered by heat and has zero friction could come in handy in all sorts of machinations and technologies, it can probably be even be used as a sort of no friction gear also as its not likely not wear out in a long long time. Maybe if they make it in a sphere form instead of a disk were it could go any which way and in any direction while guided by lasers and heat then they can probably even apply it to more things. Who knows really, but I think your bound to see something come of this in some new tech somewhere down the line some years from now, once they figure out what to apply it to that is.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So many things in the world thats awesome but lack fundings.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
I'm a techy, working with million-dollar routers, switched, optical equipment, etc. every day and I don't even understand this.

This is obviously black magic and you shall be burned as a witch at the dawning sun.

/TOA

explain what a Subnet mask is and how its used to filter traffic to the correct mac address or how to calculate the correct ipv6 from hexadecimal to binary. real tech question to see if people are really what they say they are

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Wow! This has BIG potential. I can see how trains and autos can be used during the day for transport. An in-home system could be used to generate electricity, fed to the grid to reduce carbon burning. A million of these systems could power an entire city!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is amazing, I always loved messing with magnets, I stripped the paint off of my dads new car when I was younger once with a mailbox magnet. I still get grief from that. I guess one day we will have high speed magnetic trains that run only in the daytime. Whatever happened to that high speed vacuum tube transportation system, ET3 Transportation? I know it is a bit off topic but it reminded me of that project.

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Originally posted by The Old American
I'm a techy, working with million-dollar routers, switched, optical equipment, etc. every day and I don't even understand this.

This is obviously black magic and you shall be burned as a witch at the dawning sun.

/TOA

explain what a Subnet mask is and how its used to filter traffic to the correct mac address or how to calculate the correct ipv6 from hexadecimal to binary. real tech question to see if people are really what they say they are

On a side note, I been lurking these boards for years, commenting here and there, but lately I have noticed more and more in each thread there are a few people who try to prove themselves smarter than others or try to put others down for information they may lack. That isn't what this site used to be about.
I don't know what he has to prove to you for you to believe he is who he says he is...who are you to try and prove him wrong? A thread about light affecting magnetism and you are calling this guy out about him being a "techy"? I can't stand to come here and see more random posts like yours than there are about the topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That looks like a borderline free energy device. Add light, make spin. Grapheme is fantastic.

Auto manufacturer fat cats will not be happy unless their companies hold the patents and their lobbyists will hold the government travel rules. We're going to have to get past the oil cartel as well, to promote light engines in cars.

So what happens if you put light in a tube of grapheme surrounded by magnets and bend it's reflection? Does the reaction vibrate the whole thing to a harmonic so it has the potential for levitating off the earth?

Are there side effects for this vibration like frequencies that imitate the Philadelphia Experiment, with green glowing light, or blue light radiation?

Can we take radioactive material and use it to power something like this instead of solar power?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
We should bookmark this and see what becomes of the idea whether it is developed or bough up by the energy sector and shelfed.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Good point. I think that the "light-powered.." does confuse things.

Its movement is changed by heat. In this cas, the lasers are causing the heat.

The article states the following:

Speaking a reporter with Phys.org, Abe said their research represents “the first time in the world” that humans have been able to achieve “real-time motion control” of inanimate objects without individual parts of the machine coming into direct contact.
Raw Story (s.tt...)

edit on 30-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pinobot
Rare earth magnets are expensive. This would be much more expensive that normal solar panels. Normal panels also have no moving parts, much more reliable.

That may be true, but its only half of the equation. If it can be made 100x more expensive per unit but 1000x more energy created per unit, then a rig to power a house could be inexpensive in comparison.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join