It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{Gun Control} Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So quit Facebook and go back and reinvigorate MySpace. Never done either site myself.

Seems FB censors/deletes a lot of things that many would consider a ridiculous action. Just say no to Facebook, people.

Imagine if they started a social media site and no one bothered with it...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Gandhi was talking about the "Indian Arms Act of 1878"

Yes which was enacted after the Indian Mutiny of 1857, where the Indians did actually rise up (and were savagely repressed).

Gun control advocates are panicking because you think your guns are going to be taken away. The fact is the U.S. government has already trampled all over your rights and you all just sat there.

I have Gandhi's autobiography from which that quote is supposed to be from. I should get it out and try to find the quote to see it's true context.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Censorship of factual information has to be stood up to in all venues, public and private.

Whoa, slow down there. There is a big difference between an actual fact and the opinion of some old relic taken way out of context.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Since Facebook is a medium of exchange of speech just like the telephone or cell phones or letters, does anyone think that the Supreme Court will eventually rule that it must allow for free speech?

After all, the telephone lines are owned by private companies, and they aren't allowed to limit what you talk about on their phones. Fed-Ex is owned by a private company, and it doesn't limit what you say. Your text messages aren't monitored for offensive content and then used to shut off service.

Anyone can start a newspaper and state their opinion, isn't limiting what you can say on a forum the same as limiting free speech in a newspaper? Obviously, it is -

Free speech has always been encouraged as long as it does not actively promote harm, such as plotting to bomb something.
edit on 29-12-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Sorry but I call BS - not at the OP - but at the info.

I have more GUN RIGHTS THIS and GUN RIGHTS THAT on my FB than I can shake a stick at.
Nothing has been removed.

I also have a ton of stuff about Sandy Hook - NOTHING has been removed.

Just sayin...

peace

Yes but for most of the world and most of the world's population a Gandhi quote has far more power and resonance and meaning than a million facebook accounts.

Gandhi made a difference, he scared TPTB, and they never forget something like that.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I hadn't thought of it that way, thank-you for the perspective.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Why would you even want to be on Facebook? Do you like being monitored all the time?
I can offer you all uncensored Facebook and without spying or selling your data.
I don't have all those fancy games that are made for facebook but atleast you know
that you are safe there and you can put on your page what you want.
For now it works only on invitations and it will stay like this for a while.
It is still in development mode because I have to change a few things but it works
fine like it is and if you are interested you can send me a PM with your email and I will send
you an invitation email.

I am not forcing nobody but just think about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Since Facebook is a medium of exchange of speech just like the telephone or cell phones or letters, does anyone think that the Supreme Court will eventually rule that it must allow for free speech?

No, it is not. The medium is the internet. Facebook is just a private site, and those can censor whatever they want.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Meanwhile, naturalnews.com owners are probably laughing with all the free publicity they got from this, thanks to Facebook.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by darkbake

No, it is not. The medium is the internet. Facebook is just a private site, and those can censor whatever they want.

Hmm... well I do agree with you on that being the status quo. But realistically, Facebook is the main source common people use to publicly express themselves these days.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Yep. FB is horrible with the "Community Standards". I had a photo of a bare butt on Facebook Pageand they locked me out for 7 days

Yet, at any given time you can find posts dropping F bombs, girls in bikinis in precarious positions, underage drinking etc.....And they shut my page down over a bare bottom? It was in the background and a reproductive organ wasn't even visible.

FB days are numbered. They will be their own demise. Just give it time.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Just for that, I re-posted the quote.

Censorship of factual information has to be stood up to in all venues, public and private. The fact that it's "private ownership blah blah blah" (which the corporate lapdogs will no doubt start spewing soon) does not excuse it; censorship of factual information has just as damaging of an effect on society regardless of venue. Demand your right to tell the truth with militant ferocity in all situations.

you can demand all you want to...it's a private company, a judge will dismiss it before it even sees the inside of a courtroom.....and by the way....facebook?....this is where you get news?....F them....there are other venues

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I posted a link on my fb, sick of CIA-book anyway. So if im going to go out it's going to be while extending my middle finger to Mark Zuckerberg and his buddies in Langley, Virginia

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I'm starting to understand now how "they" are getting rid of the first amendment. They aren't going to get rid of it at all, they are just going to circumvent it by corporatizing all forms of information propagation, and get all of society to become solely dependent on those communication channels. Then they will fall back on the BS claim that "well it's private so we can censor all we want." Pure evil genius.

this started along time ago...it's just now starting to be realized by alot more people.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

I like this graphic. I stole it and posted it to me FB wall.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Sure - but Ghandi was not talking about individuals holding arms - he was talking about Indians joining the Army:

He was talking about both, but more about individuals
The joining the army part was just something he added because of who he was talking to

Check out the full quote:

I used to issue leaflets asking people to enlist as recruits. One of the arguments I had used was distasteful to the Commissioner: ‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle classes render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn.’

www.thedailysteak.com...

As you can see he's talking about the Arms Act as I previously mentioned, which stripped arms from every individual in India.

Even my grandfather was a strict Gandhian as his circle, and he and they all carried guns.
My entire lineage were gun owners in India because they lived in Punjab and alot of them wanted to defend india from muslims invading the region.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I posted the Ghandi quote to Facebook, and it did not result in a blip, nothing, nadda. I think that there is something else going on that is resulting in this.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Probably a lot of douches that do not like them, following their statuses and reporting them all. Could even be members and supporters of an opposing political rag too.
edit on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:17:46 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I would post it to my Facebook as a test, but I kind of need it to communicate with a friend who is visiting today. If anyone tests it, please let ATS know what happens!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
For those who are testing it how many people do you have on your friends list?

If you only have like less than 20 I don't think anything will happen
Naturalnews is huge, but read the OP article
After infowars spread the news about this Facebook seemed to have stopped for a while

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join