It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{Gun Control} Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

[Gun Control] Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge

www.naturalnews.com

The reports are absolutely true. Facebook suspended the Natural News account earlier today after we posted an historical quote from Mohandas Gandhi. The quote reads:

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

and gave us a "final warning" that one more violation of their so-called "community guidelines" would result in our account being permanently deacti
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Really?
A Gandhi quote gets you this?

I understand it's facebook, not a govt. entity, well officially that is.

But they do work with the govt. nonetheless.

I understand that these are sensitive times but no matter the sensitivity is blacklisting history really the solution?

I think part of the problem is the poignancy of the quote in historical terms, I mean even progressives would empathize with this quote, so it has the potential to create alot of... dialogue.

It's kind of shocking and sad that the 'shocking effect' doesn't last long because well... you know.

www.naturalnews.com

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Im going to quote it on Facebook and see what happens.

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

[Gun Control] Facebook bans Gandhi quote as part of revisionist history purge

www.naturalnews.com

The reports are absolutely true. Facebook suspended the Natural News account earlier today after we posted an historical quote from Mohandas Gandhi. The quote reads:

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

and gave us a "final warning" that one more violation of their so-called "community guidelines" would result in our account being permanently deacti

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Michal Rivero said the same thing on his site, that alternative or truth news accounts were being closed by facebook.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameliel

You know what's really scary?

What if you don't SEE what happens?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wow, of all the people to ban..

what has the world come to?

Sad day in deed.

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just for that, I re-posted the quote.

Censorship of factual information has to be stood up to in all venues, public and private. The fact that it's "private ownership blah blah blah" (which the corporate lapdogs will no doubt start spewing soon) does not excuse it; censorship of factual information has just as damaging of an effect on society regardless of venue. Demand your right to tell the truth with militant ferocity in all situations.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jameliel

What we need is to get enough people to post that same quote over and over and then get together and make the obvious breach of the first amendment made more public.

I can see banning accounts for vulgar images or language, even threats. This is just ridiculous on so many levels.

Always remember kids. Do as you are told.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
What we need is to get enough people to post that same quote over and over and then get together and make the obvious breach of the first amendment made more public.

I can see banning accounts for vulgar images or language, even threats. This is just ridiculous on so many levels.

I can somewhat agree with your point
But what is facebook really?
Unless your post goes crazy viral how much is it worth?
Your friend's list may mostly contain like-minded people

You may just end up in a list, I would say going door to door is more effective.
More effective and much less consequences.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm starting to understand now how "they" are getting rid of the first amendment. They aren't going to get rid of it at all, they are just going to circumvent it by corporatizing all forms of information propagation, and get all of society to become solely dependent on those communication channels. Then they will fall back on the BS claim that "well it's private so we can censor all we want." Pure evil genius.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

The first amendment does not apply to online sites, the site t&c does.

That being said, censoring that kind of factual information when they let all kinds of racist, homophobic and bigoted pages remain is just damn wrong.

Some of the things said on the Sickepedia page for example are downright horrid, but I guess because they are "jokes" it is ok

EDIT: Just done a Facebook search for public posts and it would appear quite a few people have reposted the above quote in protest to Facebook censoring it.
edit on 28/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I myself do not have a Facebook account for various reasons as well as the like that is presented. If I were to have an account, I would be leading a charge toward a boycott the likes of which has never been seen in the venue! Members of that fascist online hangout should immediately, in good conscience, look for and move to a morally straight social networking site! Facebook needs to fall flat on it's FACEbook!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The quote itself, and its context, is being discussed already in this thread, but if I was Facebook I'd be banning the naturalnews account simply because all of the other lies they tell.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
I'm starting to understand now how "they" are getting rid of the first amendment. They aren't going to get rid of it at all, they are just going to circumvent it by corporatizing all forms of information propagation, and get all of society to become solely dependent on those communication channels. Then they will fall back on the BS claim that "well it's private so we can censor all we want." Pure evil genius.

Yup. And like a certain executive from FOX news stated... "We paid $3 billion dollars for these stations. We'll tell you what the news is. The news is what we say it is!"

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The quote itself, and its context, is being discussed already in this thread, but if I was Facebook I'd be banning the naturalnews account simply because all of the other lies they tell.

"All the OTHER lies they tell"? Are you implying that Gandhi did not say this?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You missed his point, which was that they will use that T&C technicality to restrict the First Amendment rather than censor free speech directly.
When it's the government who writes the T&C on our newly corporatized information and social network sources... watch out.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I understand it's facebook, not a govt. entity, well officially that is.

yes..

they are..

link   

Originally posted by alfa1

*facepalm*

link   
Why does everyone laugh when I say facebook is evil?

Besides it just being a way to spy on people and know every detail about them.... it is actually evil and actively.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sorry, I posted then deleted as I found my source could have been wrong.

I have found several other pages that confirm the original source, however, I am not certain how accurate this is.

When Gandhi made that quote, he was referring to the British not allowing the Indian army weapons to fight in the first world war, NOT about civilian gun ownership.

"Arms" in this context were military arms not the personal weapons of private individuals. The context of "depriving of the whole nation of arms" was the refusal of the British to conscript Indians into the British Army during the First World War. Gandhi was an extreme anti-militarist. The statement is odd coming out of him, but he used the circumstance for political purposes to advance the cause of Home Rule and Independence.

Source
edit on 28/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join