It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MySQL free version vs commercial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently working on a website and software that is similar in concept to an online poker game. So far, I have a very rough draft of the software; it’s nowhere near finished but it is started (I’m writing it in Java). Unfortunately, I am teaching myself everything as I go... So forgive me if I don’t fully comprehend your response. Please don’t be shy though, if you can point me in the direction to the info, I will read and practice it until I understand what you are saying.

With that noted, my question lies with the database I should use. I was originally thinking an ArrayList of ArrayList to store client’s info and the “games” (they are similar in concept to Texas hold’em tables in an online poker software forum). The more I researched it (and it was recommended in my last thread) the more I realized a database language would be the best option. I am currently considering MySQL but noticed that there is a consumer and a commercial package. My question is: if I use the consumer one to teach myself and develop the software, what disadvantages will I be at when I plan to put it on the market?

Thank you for your help and your time. And have a wonderful Holiday.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
A DB question on ATS? Ok, here goes.

Go free. No real disadvantage to doing so except for Oracle support on it when you have a big userbase.

Set it up with two machines to start and replicate from one to the other. Do backups once a night off of the slave DB system (mysqldump) and send the backups somewhere off-site (another colo, rackspace, AWS...you pick, just not where you're hosting the DB).

Once you get decent sized, or DB starts having load issues, you're either going to need to split off tables to different DBs, or just run mysql-cluster and set everything up active-active.

...and that's about when you'll want to start looking at mysql commercial licensing.
edit on 24-12-2012 by cryptographrix because: Needed to specify to ship backups offsite.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

Sorry for the late response, but thank you for your reply. This project is turning out to be a lot more complexed than I initially thought. Its always nice when some is able to provide a little light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1plusXisto7billion

No worries. Yeah, sometimes that happens. There's a lot of moving parts to think about and plan for, and you really have to figure out what business you want to actually be in.

Other companies exist to handle things like billing and login (trust me you want at least someone else to do payment here), but you need to work within the systems they provide you with. If you can minimize the amount of stuff your app will be responsible for, you can do a lot more with it in the long run.

Don't let it get too hectic. Take walks often and be slow but methodical. Eventually you'll get what you want it to be.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

That is definately comforting to hear. Ironically, I have been walking my dogs for at least 45 minutes a day since I started this. I've always thought it was for them but maybe subconciously it was for me.

There are so many question I have about this project but honestly I'm to nervous to talk to anyone about it. I keep thinking that if whom ever I speak to is smart enough to answer the questions directly, they are probably smart enough to create this themselves-and I fear they would take my "idea". I've probably just been on hear for too long lol.

Is there anything that I would need to learn first about payment/processing (maybe their bank info) or would the other company handle all of it? I'm thinking that I would just need to store the data and then provide a way for that data to be transfered to a third party; is that close or will that be enough for the development process?

What type of problems could occur for the login? This is probably way to basic for an actualy account for I was thinking of a simple "if" statement to verify if the login name and passwords match/exist. Wouldn't that be enough? or were you refering to the security/coding portion? That is also another area I am completely confused about.

I have no background (I haven't even read a single chapter yet) with cryptography and have so many questions there too
. Is this something that is done after the program is created and I'm assuming it only deals with the transfer of data. Is that correct? I envision it as similiar to a fence around a property. So after I build the house/program, would I be able to then hire someone for the security of it? Or would that need to be integrated into the program during its development?

This time last year I wanted to switch my major to Computer Science but I didn't want to set myself any farther back. I'm really wishing I would have though.

Thank you again for all your help, it definately is appreciated.

Happy New Years too!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
hii
see this is your own project so you can use with your choise.
and i have also used Mysql it is mostly used database and easy to work..
no problem to use it.

new topics

top topics

join