It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many souls released from Purgatory on Christmas, pray AND on a commercial flight, Mother Teresa spea

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'll post the full quote again:

Ignatius, third Bishop of Antioch:

"Consider how contrary to the mind of God are the heterodox in regard to the grace of God which has come to us. They have no regard for charity, none for the widow, the orphan, the oppressed, none for the man in prison, the hungry or the thirsty. They ABSTAIN from the EUCHARIST and from prayer, because they do not admit that the EUCHARIST is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."

"Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

Originally posted by adjensen
reply to post by truejew

No, that's not what heresy is. It means "wrong teaching" -- if doctrine isn't settled on, one cannot be intentionally wrong at the time.

If the teaching was wrong, then it was wrong when Jesus taught it to the apostles.

What? When did Jesus tell the Apostles what day to celebrate Easter on?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

an
You don't "find it necessary" to post Ignatius' quote because it shows you preach heresy and worse, the Catholic
Church does not recognize another non-Trinitarian sect as being Christian. Mormonism.

No, it is as I said, if something is posted, it does not need to be posted again. Again, I am not Mormon.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

No, that's not what heresy is. It means "wrong teaching" -- if doctrine isn't settled on, one cannot be intentionally wrong at the time.

If the teaching was wrong, then it was wrong when Jesus taught it to the apostles.

Jesus never said anything about Easter. He did however begin the yearly remembrance of Himself on Passover. Which John, then Polycarp continued.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Jesus never said anything about Easter. He did however begin the yearly remembrance of Himself on Passover. Which John, then Polycarp continued.

That's when he instituted the Eucharist, not some annual celebration.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

That is not what John taught and Polycarp followed.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Who cares? As I said, you can't be a heretic for doing something that is later deemed to be incorrect. There is nothing in scripture that says Jesus instituted an annual celebration, or that Gentiles are expected to observe Jewish festivals.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
truejew,

You asked and ignore again my reply to you showing Polycarp and Ignatius believe in the most Holy Eucharist.

I use present tense, they believed then, look at the date and both men (saints) believe today. Hey everyone else, important to say again, Polycarp and Ignatius were in the presence of St. John the Apostle, heard him
speak.

You are bringing people to the faith with you one sentence denials TJ. Catholics show you and you stick with heresy. Pray about it, ask Our Lord for the grace to believe in the most Holy Eucharist. You can change, Jesus
will help you.

+ + +

St. Ignatius became the THIRD bishop of Antioch, succeeding St. Evodius, who was the immediate successor of St. Peter. He heard St. John preach when he was a boy and knew ST. POLYCARP, Bishop of Smyrna. Seven of his letters written to various Christian communities have been preserved. Eventually, he received the martyr's crown as he was thrown to wild beasts in the arena.

"Consider how contrary to the mind of God are the heterodox in regard to the grace of God which has come to us. They have no regard for charity, none for the widow, the orphan, the oppressed, none for the man in prison, the hungry or the thirsty. They ABSTAIN from the EUCHARIST and from prayer, because they do not admit that the EUCHARIST is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."

[

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Who cares? As I said, you can't be a heretic for doing something that is later deemed to be incorrect. There is nothing in scripture that says Jesus instituted an annual celebration, or that Gentiles are expected to observe Jewish festivals.

That Jesus instituted an annual remembrance is seen in the teaching of John and Polycarp.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

That Jesus instituted an annual remembrance is seen in the teaching of John and Polycarp.

Such as?

A citation, rather than an abstract statement, is usually helpful.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Such as?

That Polycarp kept the annual remembrance on Passover and that he received that teaching from John is not debated.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Such as?

That Polycarp kept the annual remembrance on Passover and that he received that teaching from John is not debated.

That is not a citation.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
St. Ignatius became the THIRD bishop of Antioch, succeeding St. Evodius, who was the immediate successor of St. Peter. He heard St. John preach when he was a boy and knew ST. POLYCARP, Bishop of Smyrna. Seven of his letters written to various Christian communities have been preserved. Eventually, he received the martyr's crown as he was thrown to wild beasts in the arena.

+ + +

I get no reply from TJ so I'll address anyone reading this thread. Those two little paragraphs above should strike you. You simply can't stay away from the faith. You must become Catholic or at the time of the the Great Warning and as Protestants hear it in their prophetic, the "awakening" when God shows everyone personally the true faith is Roman Catholicism.

In the Gospel you read "breaking the bread", "break bread", this is reference to the "Eucharist", the term
St. Ignatius states in the quote above and the same word Catholics use today. Ignatius explains what the Eucharist is, there is no doubt, the body of Our Lord.

Both men were in the presence of St. John the beloved Apostle, Ignatius as a boy. Polycarp was John's student.

Non-Catholic Christian, non-Christian, how can you go with anyone or group who reject the Eucharist?

love,

colbe

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I do not see how his use of the word eucharist, which means thanksgiving, proves that Polycarp taught a magical ceremony actually turns bread into real flesh and wine into real blood as you claim.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

reply to post by colbe

I do not see how his use of the word eucharist, which means thanksgiving, proves that Polycarp taught a magical ceremony actually turns bread into real flesh and wine into real blood as you claim.

You are focusing on a definition of word instead of what the word stands for, how come you don't do the same in regards to the meaning of Trinity?

I wish I could explain in a way that you would desire the Eucharist.

You do not understand the gift Christ has given, Himself. And it is not me, Christ proclaimed this, the bread and wine become Our Lord at the priest's words of consecration. Polycarp and Ignatius believe, it isn't "magical" as you say, it is "supernatural" by God's power.

You have to have faith God can do this, it isn't cannibalism either, the consecrated host and wine become the risen Jesus Christ, all of Him. See, it is above our human way of thinking, understanding, you do not see a change but it has taken place. The accidents remain the same but the substance is changed supernaturally. Remember, Jesus said in his explaining the Eucharist in John 6, think spiritually, "spirit and life." Every time Jesus uses the word "spirit" in the Gospel He is referring to the supernatural.

TJ, you do not understand how Christ can be fully man and fully God but you accept the Incarnation. Do the same in regards to the Eucharist. How it makes God very happy when we show faith.

God bless you,

colbe

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Polycarp was a student of John. He kept the Passover celebration. However, he did not keep ONLY the Passover celebration. At that time, there indeed was a daily eucharist and Polycarp would have participated in it.

History of the Eucharist

In the early Church at Jerusalem the faithful received every day (Acts 2:46). Later on, however, we read that St. Paul remained at Troas for seven days, and it was only "on the first day of the week" that the faithful "assembled to break bread" (Acts 20:6-11; cf. 1 Corinthians 16:2). According to the "Didache" the breaking of bread took place on "the Lord's day" (kata kyriaken, c. xiv). Pliny says that the Christians assembled "on a fixed day" (Ep. x); and St. Justin, "on the day called Sunday" (te tou heliou legomene hemera, Apol., I, lxvii, 3, 7). It is in Tertullian that we first read of the Liturgy being celebrated on any other day besides Sunday (On Prayer 19; De Corona, c. iii). Daily reception is mentioned by St. Cyprian (De Orat. Domin., c. xviii in P.L., IV, 531); St. Jerome (Ep. ad Damasum); St. John Chrysostom (Hom., iii in Eph.); St. Ambrose (in Ps. cxviii, viii, 26, 28 in P.L., XV, 1461, 1462); and the author of the "De Sacramentis" (V, iv, 25; P.L., XVI, 452).

edit on 6/6/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Polycarp was born around 52 A.D. Polycarp became the bishop of Smyrna. He studied under John and around 155 A.D., Polycarp went to Rome to fight against various heresies. Polycarp was martyred around 156 A.D.

THE DIDACHE shows clearly that the Eucharist was a daily happening in the early church. (Chapter 14 - "On the Lord's own day, assemble in common to break bread and offer thanks; but first confess your sins, )

Polycarp taught fidelity to the early church. The early church believed that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Jesus. Therefore, Polycarp taught transubstantiation of the Eucharist.

The Real Presence
St. Ignatious of Antioch - "I have no taste for the food that perishes nor for the pleasures of this life. I want the Bread of God which is the Flesh of Christ, who was the seed of David; and for drink I desire His Blood which is love that cannot be destroyed." -"Letter to the Romans", paragraph 7, circa 80-110 A.D.

Sources for info on Polycarp

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks FlyersFan.

See, the first reference was "break bread", "break the bread." Holy Communion was changed to being called
the Eucharist. St. Ignatius was the first.

THE DIDACHE shows clearly that the Eucharist was a daily happening in the early church. (Chapter 14 - "On the Lord's own day, assemble in common to break bread and offer thanks; but first confess your sins, )

And if you read 1 Corinthians 11:24 Paul makes reference to the Eucharist, he uses the words giving thanks.

have a great weekend FF, it is beautiful here in the Midwest,

colbe

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

have a great weekend FF, it is beautiful here in the Midwest

Speak for yourself, it's 20 degrees below normal here in Minnesota, and it's been raining so much I checked my GPS to make sure I didn't teleport to Seattle

The Eucharist is one of the reasons that I converted from Methodism to the Roman Catholic Church -- it's definitely one of the things that I believe the earliest Christians were devoted to, and the "once of month Communion commemoration" of my old church just didn't cut it for me.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

have a great weekend FF, it is beautiful here in the Midwest

Speak for yourself, it's 20 degrees below normal here in Minnesota, and it's been raining so much I checked my GPS to make sure I didn't teleport to Seattle

The Eucharist is one of the reasons that I converted from Methodism to the Roman Catholic Church -- it's definitely one of the things that I believe the earliest Christians were devoted to, and the "once of month Communion commemoration" of my old church just didn't cut it for me.

Tee hee...but, but...adjensen, you have those beautiful lakes. Oh that Al Gore.

I remember in a message to a French Seer, God said, when you follow Me, I will give you a greater understanding. In that message He was talking to scientists, correcting Darwin believers. Oh yes, I remember Him saying I keep My systems separate.

There can be evolving in a species but never one to another. And imagine, Pope John Paul said it, "Our
Lord's mother did not come from the apes."

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join