It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists in Hong Kong map initial anti-aging formula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Scientists in Hong Kong appear to have mapped out a formula that can delay the aging process in mice, a discovery they hope to replicate in people. Their finding, published in the December issue of Cell Metabolism, builds on their work in 2005 which shed light on premature aging, or progeria, a rare genetic disease that affects one in four million babies.

Full Article

"We actually delayed the onset of aging and extended the healthy lifespan," Zhou said of the mice.

At the rate technology has been advancing, I would imagine this will come to full fruition in not too long. Talk about a money maker for big pharmaceuticals. The way modern society is extremely vain, this will for sure be watched like a hawk.
edit on 12/22/2012 by mcx1942 because: fix

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
At the rate technology has been advancing, I would imagine this will come to full fruition in not too long.

Its been around for awhile but the masses aren't allowed to have prolonged lifespans.

Talk about a money maker for big pharmaceuticals.

I have to disagree with you 100% here. There is no money in the cure.

Who would want a prolonged lifespan if extended age would only add to the likelyhood of one becoming terminally ill?

Until all of the cures they are holding out on us are released I doubt we will see a single one.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Very interesting point of view on that. I have not thought about it like that.

It is true, what is the point of living longer if you can still be stricken with illness.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim

Its been around for awhile but the masses aren't allowed to have prolonged lifespans.

Ya know, I bet you are correct. I cannot help but think that the elite have access to such a thing every time I look at some of them.

Lets take one that was in the spot-light of recent times: how about one named Mitt Romney. The old fool is in his mid-60's and looks and moves about like he is in his 30's. His election campaigning was almost the equivalent of running a harsh hundred mile marathon DAILY it seemed. Pretty extraordinary for an old man...

There are a handful of other wealthy elite people who also look half their age and seem to be as healthy as 20-year olds. There IS SOMETHING out there that keeps you from aging, I am CERTAIN. Perfect diet with ZERO slacking for several years doesnt work THAT good, I KNOW that much. Wish I knew WHAT their secret was, and WHERE to find it...

edit on 22-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Looking into this more I have found some interesting sites dedicated to this.

site:www.maxlife.org...

Are you interested in age-reversal? If so, MaxLife is helping people like you make your dream your reality. After almost twelve years of working with the world's leading researchers, the technologies are finally being developed to dramatically extend your youthful lifespan. Some of the best minds on the planet are hard at work to extend your health. You can help yourself too.

site:www.manhattanbeachproject.com...

Will You Be Part of the Last Generation to Die From Aging or... Part of the First to Enjoy Open-Ended Youth?

Just as the Manhattan Project was established in 1942 to build the atomic bomb to end WW II... the Manhattan “Beach” Project was founded at the original conference on June 23rd, 2000 as an all-out assault on the world’s biggest killer – Aging.

These companies look like something out of the movies.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Age (amongst other things like wear and tear etc, eg. bones) is mostly the inability of cells to regenerate completely anew. The older one gets, the more incomplete and "faulty" cells grow.

If such a cure addresses this it will significantly reduce all kinds of diseases, the body/organs would much slower deteriorate which OF COURSE would mean less diseases.

And to the one who said "there is no money in that"....BS.... let's say there would be a cure which would basically double the life-span, double the time where someone is active and can work. People would not retire at 65, but at 130

It would also significantly reduce costs for retirement, social security, health care etc..etc...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Ya know, I bet you are correct. I cannot help but think that the elite have access to such a thing every time I look at some of them.

There are a handful of other wealthy elite people who also look half their age and seem to be as healthy as 20-year olds. There IS SOMETHING out there that keeps you from aging, I am CERTAIN.

2 words for ya guys: Magic. Johnson.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Great, just friggin great...

Yet another face cream we women can piss our money down the drain with that won't work.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

At the rate technology has been advancing, I would imagine this will come to full fruition in not too long. Talk about a money maker for big pharmaceuticals. The way modern society is extremely vain, this will for sure be watched like a hawk.

(bolded what I am addressing)

I think it'll take a lot more time than people think. In the 1920's and 1930's people thought intelligent robots would be here in the 1980's AT MOST. I could go on and on about it too.

Some people think that we'll reach the singularity within 100 years AT MOST.

Don't count on it.

There're things you can do, but it all costs money and time. As usual. Next.
edit on 22-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

All forms of technology are advancing at exponential rates at this point.

From my understanding leading scientists in the field say 2040 tops before the singularity.

If certain "barriers" were to fall we may see it much sooner

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Age (amongst other things like wear and tear etc, eg. bones) is mostly the inability of cells to regenerate completely anew. The older one gets, the more incomplete and "faulty" cells grow.

In China experiments have been made on patients suffering from genetic diseases from Multiple Schlorosis to Parkinsons and they have seen EXTREME success rates through the most Archaic method of stem cell therapy. They inject them with a 6 inch needle right under the latter ventricles and the stem cells do they're job. No nano-technology required, the blank stem-cells are told what is wrong with the host automatically.

And to the one who said "there is no money in that"....BS.... let's say there would be a cure which would basically double the life-span, double the time where someone is active and can work. People would not retire at 65, but at 130

It would also significantly reduce costs for retirement, social security, health care etc..etc...

mmm, read my post above? Without a cure for age related illness there is no point in prolonging life unless you are a masochist. As for people retiring at age 100+, lol! WHO NEEDS THOSE OLD SOB's! Major corporations dont even need button pushers.. thats automated now too. I think your under the impression that TPTB give f# about you, they dont.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I am looking forward to a pill to just have a better memory lol.

Living longer would be nice but to just remember where my keys are some days would be gold!

The black market side of life extensions would be interesting as well. I could see different levels of longevity. The poor could live into their 100's while the rich could live like 500 years. All hypothetical of course.
edit on 12/23/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

new topics

top topics

join