It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: NRA press release and press conference 21st December on the Newtown shooting,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

BREAKING: NRA press release and press conference 21st December on the Newtown shooting,

home.nra.org

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown. Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Breaking News - Shooting at Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
After days of silence, vanishing from Faecook and Twitter, the NRA decided to come out and give a statement and a press conference on Friday 21st of December.

It will be interesting to hear their comments on the horrible drama in Newtown and how they see the future. I think what they did was right and respectful

home.nra.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Looking to me like they are going to take the high road on this one. Rather than politicize the incident immediately as the anti gun crowd has done, they are allowing for at least a little time for the families before making a statement. I think this was the right thing to do, and I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I would say it was brilliant of them to wait to make an announcement until the 21st.

They are not gonna have to say anything if the world ends

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
And there you go. This was the response I expected. Shame on the Media, who decided to politicize this, for ratings.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Looking to me like they are going to take the high road on this one. Rather than politicize the incident immediately as the anti gun crowd has done, they are allowing for at least a little time for the families before making a statement. I think this was the right thing to do, and I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

I think you might be interested in rereading the early pages of the various threads here on ATS concerning this incident, and take note of who were the first to politicize it. Hint: it wasn't the so-called anti-gun crowd.

Please note: I am far from anti-gun. I enjoy guns, I own guns, I use guns. But theirs still this huge unanswered question of why people need to own (even though semi-auto rather than select fire) military grade weapons, with 20, 30, 40 (and up) rnd magazines.

In Canada, you can own an AR-15 for example, given that you have a license to own 'restricted' firearms, which is only marginally more difficult to get than the standard firearm license. Great for sport shooting, a lot of fun. Great to show off to your buddies at the range. But all mags, by law, must be 'pinned' at five rounds. Same goes for any other semi-auto rifle. By federal law. I feel that this is a sensible approach and one at least looking into - the mental image of dozens of little bodies, and a kindergarten classroom floor littered with hundreds of .223 shells makes that abundantly clear.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If the NRA have any sense left, they're going to have to start shifting the focus to where the problem really lies - cheap (free) and reliable public access to mental health treatment.

If the NRA can get their combined membership and lobbying powers behind a real public policy towards mental health issues - and such a policy can actually be put in place - it will do more than any firearms legislation.

If they can't - because it's communism or Obamacare or whatever - the cycle continues. Tedious debate resulting in toothless legislation designed to placate people until the next time.

...just a thought that's been nagging at me for a couple of days.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

I think you might want to pull your head out of ATS for a few minutes and take a look at what was going on in the world. What happens on ATS does not equate to what was happening in the MSM which is where 99.9% of people get their information from.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Monger

I think you might want to pull your head out of ATS for a few minutes and take a look at what was going on in the world. What happens on ATS does not equate to what was happening in the MSM which is where 99.9% of people get their information from.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it's fair to say that a lot of people are using this massacre as an opportunity to push a political agenda - regardless of whether they sit on the imaginary left or the imaginary right side of the imaginary fence. Let's not pretend for a second that it's ONLY the anti-gun crowd who are at it.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Indeed, from what I understand is that normally they are really fast with giving statements and politicize the situation. I think they are right this time and this a respectful way to react, rather than what you see happening on ATS, people immediately politicize the situation and only care about their guns without showing any respect to the victims.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'm amazed that none of you have remarked on the date of the press conference!

The 21st?

Really!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They're scared something might actually come of this.
I imagine, they have paid, millions of dollars to hire the best lawyers, advertising experts and spin doctors, sat them in a room and said how do we play this right so we arent the focus.

everything they are doing is to ensure nothing changes on their profits.

The problem isn't 'cheap' and easily accessed mental health, the problem is cheap and easily accessed bullets and weapons.

If your parents aren't psychopathic gun nuts who have more weaponry in a closet than the average marine, then you will grow up in a house that is a little more reasonable, you will be taught more humane values.

The problem is the parents and the weapons!
edit on 19-12-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

top topics

join