It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are reading your emails... Strange story.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I went to my parents’ house today. As soon as I got there, my Dad said "come back into the study, I have something to show you".

Here's the story. A week or so ago I emailed him a link to a story about the possible nationalization of retirement accounts. My Dad liked it and was going to send the story to another friend. Instead of forwarding it, he copies and pasted the story into Word, then saved it and attached it to the email he sent. By the way my dad is 78 and so is his friend. They have known each other since childhood.

This is where it gets weird. The friend that he sent it to wrote back “why did you send that story and put in the header “this story is not true. It is probably false”? Dad said he did no such thing, in fact he had emailed the document to himself first to make sure that it would send OK. We went back and looked at the original document he created and there were no such words on it!

We simply have no explanation for this. What happened? How did a Word document attachment get that new header? Are we not only being monitored, but contents being changed too?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Bizarre if true. Sorry, the world's got me quite cynical so unless I see something with my own two eyes, I can't assume it's true. No reflection on you OP. Just the way it is.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Rest assured "they" are reading and monitoring all transmissions
tweets
facebook
forums
texts
voice
pictures
video
websites visited

In real time.
They got AI now that makes PROMIS and Echelon look like something from caveman days

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11

They got AI now that makes PROMIS and Echelon look like something from caveman days

You should see the completely autonomous AI monster they are building in Utah.

At peak performance, this thing will require as much electricity as a moderate size city.

Which is more alarming, knowing that big brother is watching you, or a super-massive, extremely powerful autonomous AI super-computer?

Maybe the day will come (if we survive long enough) when this AI just doesn't like what you're posting or sending online and rather than ordering next level surveillance on you, it sends in an autonomous drone strike to eliminate a subversive threat to national security?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
A buddy of mine went out to the bar one day. There was nobody at the bar we went to. We walked to the front door, looked in and saw nobody, turned around to leave and this young guy (22, 23ish) was standing behind us. He came out of nowhere. He followed us to a different bar, stood next to us, and started asking lots and lots of questions. We talked for hours. I swear it was like he knew everything I did on the computer because he asked questions about everything I did in the last 2 days on it without me bring the subjects up prior. It was too much to be a coincidence. After he left I asked my friend what he though and he said the guy kept talking to him about things he was researching online that the guy shouldn't have known about. He also asked about drugs and where to get them, until I said I don't do drugs then he said "I don't either." Came in the next day and asked the bar tender about the guy and apparently they had to kick him out because he was doing the same # to other people. So yeah... I believe without a doubt they monitor everything. They search for keywords in their database and when somebody has a hit, they check out everything they've done.

p.s. My friend is pretty openly anti-government and talks about things he probably shouldn't. His dad supposedly had some high clearance in the military.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 16-12-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
The friend that he sent it to wrote back “why did you send that story and put in the header “this story is not true. It is probably false”? Dad said he did no such thing, in fact he had emailed the document to himself first to make sure that it would send OK.

No screenshots? No evidence?

Also, is your dad computer literate? Seeing as your dad had to send "the document to himself first to make sure that it would send OK" makes me believe he is not.

Originally posted by JackyMenace
He followed us to a different bar, stood next to us, and started asking lots and lots of questions. We talked for hours. I swear it was like he knew everything I did on the computer because he asked questions about everything I did in the last 2 days on it without me bring the subjects up prior. It was too much to be a coincidence.

It never occurred to you to just stop talking to him? Nice story.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TravisBickle451

I was trying to disprove to myself that he was an FBI agent. I didn't go into anything that I wouldn't tell a cop. I actually met him again the next day at the bar when I returned (before he got kicked out.) He asked about the guy I was with the day prior, I said I didn't know where he was and don't hang out with him much, so the dude just walks away. Creep...
edit on 16-12-2012 by JackyMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This reminds me of something weird that just happened to me on facebook the other night. I had a notification that told me a friend of mine had joined facebook, he hadn't sent me a friend request, it was just FB letting me know he joined. Usually that isn't weird except I have no online contact with that friend, his phone number is not in my cell phone, his email is not in my email address, nothing. We had no mutual friends in common, he is actually a friend of my husband's in real life, not online. I have never once talked to this man online or on the phone, EVER.
I still do not know how facebook knew that I knew him and decided to notify me that he signed up for facebook.

I know this is a little different than having the email subject changed but I just wanted to share this story because it shows that someone somewhere knows more about us and who we associate with OFFLINE than we apparently realize.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yes, he is quite computer literate. Even if he wasn't, that would not make words appear. Especailly words that were not on the article or anywhere on the webpage he copied and pasted. The original article cam to me via Swiss America, a gold vendor. The link to the story came to me via their newsletter.

I will see about getting a copy sent to me so I can get a screenshot.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

why would anyone say this is not true ?
If he was being watched then why didn't they just delete the " intercepted" email ?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

My guess:if they intercept the mail and delete it,and the sender checks with the recipient,who then denies receiving it,the sender chalks it up to "one of those glitches" and resends the message,maybe even gets suspicious.Its so much easier to corrupt comms content subtly,sabotage friendships,etc by insertion or deleting of smaller,less noticable things..do that to both sides at the same time,and it seems like a friendship is fading,because each time they remove a heartfelt sentiment and replace it with something more trite and generic,it damages the intimacy of the friendship,till one day you just dont see the point of talking to Tom,Dick or Harry anymore.Im propably not explaining it very well,but do you see where im going with this?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
But when the recipient forwards the email back to the sender so he can see what the recipient saw , would that not make the both of them suspicious and say wtf ?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pillock

How i meant it:to actually pretty much prevent comms by stopping persons a+b from talking to each other.Say,they've been monitoring 2 friends who live on different continents,who have been good friends and they know these people's ways of expressing themselves,speech/phrasing patterns,etc how they normally interact.Also,of course,details from their daily lives,circumstances,etc.Then its quite possible,maybe,to just intercept a mail from person a to b-and write back from then on,AS person b.And person b keeps getting mails from a,but its not Realy from person a.That way,to each,if mails suddenly just stop being so interesting or supportive or whatever,Both a+b assumes the other person is losing interest in the friendship,and it withers.A friend of mine is sure this happened to him.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
reply to post by davjan4

why would anyone say this is not true ?
If he was being watched then why didn't they just delete the " intercepted" email ?

I don't know. That's part of the mystery.

My dad is getting the document, but I told him to have his friend take a screenshot of it and send that. I want to see exactly what his screen looks like when he's viewing it.

new topics

top topics

join