It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Which websites can I get the Truth, Which are disinformation...I can't tell!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Gotta love ATS
I post stuff and someone always complains the site is not a good source.
People fall into several categories.
1. If its not from mainstream media, its not true
2. If its from mainstream media its not true
3. People who just come to mess with the heads of others

So which sites can I believe? I'm not one of those learned long time conspiracy people.

Which sites in your opinion are good, not good, mixed

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The most important thing i have learned from ATS is take everything with a grain of salt.
I dont believe everything from MSM but i believe certain things.....if it smells like $#@! it is $#@!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately when I first heard of 911 I thought ...Oh come on...
whoops, that was real.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I didnt mean it like that, i meant the facts of the story or situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

You must constantly use your own careful judgement. Its obvious we get told lies in the mainstream so we live in information pandemonium. Do the best you can and gain a flipside "I could always be wrong" mentality and you'll be fine.

Plus keep in mind it has been proven many governments and agency's use paid trolls to push agendas. Very important to remember when reading anything anywhere!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

One of the weakest and most effective debate tactics is to attack the source. To a degree, I think we all do it, even if only in silence - just as we all have our personal opinions about what might be a reliable source vs a spurious one.

My own rule of thumb is to try and avoid blogs, sites known for either hoaxing or extreme bias, and anything that smells funny to me. I tend to use the direct Associated Press feed as a source, frequently, but will still sometimes add a disclaimer if I cannot verify the story through a secondary means.

And THAT is your weapon here. Due diligence and second source verification. Once you have a level of confidence that your information is sound, and the source is reliable - then all you need to do is respond to attacks upon the source with "Fine, but can you disprove anything I have sourced? Can you source evidence to contradict what I've offered?"

Most of the time that will force a surrender. But, understand, online surrenders aren't given with white flags. Sadly, here, a surrender reads like "FINE! Sheeple. Believe what they tell you. I am out! Not wasting MY precious time to wake YOU up..."

And that's that.

Sourced fact > speculation and ad homs every time.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
perfect heff, said exactly what i couldnt find the words for.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Well you could do what too many around here seem to do.

Find sources that confirm your biases and ignore the rest.

But seriously, if you take in as many different sources and opinions as possible, you'll soon see a pattern as to what is fact and what is fiction.

Don't be afraid to challenge your beliefs.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Opinions are like snowflakes, no 2 are ever alike. Websites have a mixture all across the board, some have good info some have disinfo, don't let what some troll tells you influence you; you have to write what you want, post the source, and let the chips fall where they may. All that matters is that you try to keep an open mind. Depends how you start the thread and where though. Just make sure, you follow the intent of the thread and forum you posted in. Every thing is fair game though. Bring you alligator bait and the hip waders.

BAW33
edit on 12/15/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The deepest and seemingly darkest truths are only found by digging through lies; they will rarely, if ever, just fall into your lap. My friend, you will need to just use your better judgment, common sense, and intuition when seeking after the truth, and not be too prejudiced towards sources (except of course ones known to be fraudulent, and most blog posts). Cross-reference whenever possible. Keep an open mind, but be skeptical enough that you don't blindly believe whatever comes your way.

Disinformation is everywhere and no site is free of it, so it's up to us to decide what's what by critically thinking, observing patterns, and looking at the big picture whenever possible. There are so many lies floating around out there... it's truly shocking when you're faced with that wall, but you just need to break through it.

Vigilance and wisdom.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Trace the source material, and verify the source material.
If names are mentioned, look up that name to see if the person even exists.
Vetting information is more than just finding a "trustworthy" site to copy and paste from.
Drill down on all the relevant information to find the primary source, and look for corroborating independent sources.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hi all, I'm new so don't be harsh :-),
The one main thing we do know Is that we don't know what is going to happen on the 21st, We also have to remember many of the sources we gather our information and research from can be wrong, science theory's change everyday. But we blindly trust these people because they are of higher intelligence and social stature,
We are lied to everyday from the government, news agency's, authority's the media and many more all with the same excuse TO PROTECT US. When we are now starting to see its them we needed protecting from, the worlds is now run by greed we need to unite and put the world back on track for all of us.
I will be soon starting a group for everyone to try to rise above the deceit.

I'm also asking for any help in creating a website for the group.

Ted
The sapien group
The group for all of us

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
All that fantastic info being said and done...(much appreciated)

Does anyone have a website they go to for good reporting on stuff like this?

There has to be a couple out there...I hope.

top topics

join